Jordan Peacock

Reaper 80044 Flying Saucer as Fallout Playground Set

dd2mc0e-114c6072-cf57-47da-a957-e27d49e5

Zetan: "Zrxzz *hiss* zglbl tr zxls zn zaxl'r *pbbt* zn'r!"

(Translation: "Stupid EARTHLINGS!  Their primitive attempt at a spaceship could never fly!  Bah!")

Reaper Bones plastic 32mm scale miniature #80044 "Flying Saucer" modified as a playground structure, with special guest appearance by the PVC promo figure "Zetan" from the Modiphius "Fallout: Wasteland Warfare" Two-Player Starter Kit (and assorted other bits in the background for decor).

My intent here was to turn this tiny flying saucer from the Kickstarter into one of those "flying saucer" structures found on ruined playgrounds in the Fallout series of video games.  Somehow, just having a single piece of playground equipment seemed rather lonely, so I made use of assorted bits of junk to add a couple of other playground features as well.

The saucer is modified from the original model by taking a section of a small plastic disposable cup and cutting holes in it to serve as a "spacer" between the top and bottom portions of the saucer model.  It just so happened that the lip of the cup fit neatly within the recessed area of the top of the saucer.  The BOTTOM of the cup (where I cut it off at an arbitrary height) didn't fit quite so neatly at all into the recess at the bottom, so I had to glue it in place there and reinforce it with some epoxy putty.  (I could have perhaps MADE it fit by making the "spacer" section taller, as the diameter of the cup of course narrowed as it got closer to the bottom, but then it would have been a very TALL saucer that would have looked more like some bizarre giant lantern rather than being, well, saucer-like.  I'm already pushing it as it is.)

I used a hobby knife to remove the alien pilot (I may find a more formidable war machine for him to pilot later on), and replaced the spidery little legs with some big pieces of mat board.  The slide is made from more mat board, scored and bent to make a slight curve, with epoxy putty as gap-filler.  I left the top portion removable so a figure could be put inside (for whatever reason).  While I was at it, I imagined that thanks to that dome up top, the saucer might actually provide SOME sort of shelter against the elements, so someone might have used it to store a little supply cache.  I put in a few assorted items (can of "Greasy Prospector" Pork & Beans, backpack, bottle of Nuka Quantum, a "Blast Radius" board game, and a couple of issues of "Astoundingly Awesome Tales"), and had one can that's rolled down the slide (perhaps empty, and just trash ... though, come to think of it, the playground could probably stand to have a little more litter here and there, given how trashy everything is in Fallout 4).

For another feature, I made a merry-go-round out of a spare "sewer cover" from a TMNT play set (the same one I turned into the Wok-a-Doodle street scene earlier), some paper clips for the supports/handles, and the cap from an empty super-glue container as the centerpiece (that, painted, maybe if you squint at it looks at least a LITTLE like a red rocket ready to blast off).

Then, a see-saw, made from a craft "popsicle stick" teetering on a plastic hinge piece cut off from the aforementioned TMNT play-set sewer manhole cover (as in the original toy the cover had a "breakaway feature" where you'd hit a button and any figure standing on it would be dropped into the "sewer" area below).  I pasted some pictures of retro rockets (I think they might be El Gato designs?) and then tried some freehand work to make some of those "asterisk" stars, a ringed planet, and a crescent moon, to continue the space theme.  If only I had some small springs and little rocket ships as bouncy-riders to put somewhere on the playground!  (Maybe I'll add more features later.)

I had a mind to add a boundary fence, but I'm not sure how to do that in a way that won't be flimsy and prone to easy breakage.  "Mars Attacks!" terrain sets from Mantic include a nice little plastic picket fence section, but I'd need a score of those to surround the playground (and there's only one per set), so that's not even remotely cost-effective.  Storing this thing is already going to pose a challenge, even without the fencing.  Right now, I've got the pieces glued down on the "playground" board, but I may have to go back and remove them and give them their own bases, so I can store the individual pieces in some foam-lined containers and maybe extend their usable lifespan a bit before I have to do major repairs.

The house in the background is a Bachmann Plasticville O-scale "Ranch House," assembled and put on a mat board base, painted up in acrylics and partially furnished.  In the background, the ground continues with some Secret Weapon Miniatures "Tablescapes" terrain boards ("Scrap Yard" theme).

• Like 13

That is an awesome abandoned playground!  The ufo makes a great playhouse/slide combo and the merry go round looks ready to spin(well if it didn't rust to much).

If you were thinking of adding to it maybe a swing set? Two or three thicker paper clips bent into A's  and connected to each other at the top, you wouldn't even need the swings themselves, maybe one chain or string hanging down with a broken bit of seat, or a bit of broken off chain.

• Like 1

::(:

Your write up sounds awesome... But your picture is brokened. I see nothing...

46 minutes ago, Sanael said:

::(:

Your write up sounds awesome... But your picture is brokened. I see nothing...

Sorry, I don't know what's up.  I just tried viewing this page in Firefox, Chrome, and Microsoft Edge, and it showed up in each one.

50 minutes ago, Wyvernfire said:

If you were thinking of adding to it maybe a swing set? Two or three thicker paper clips bent into A's  and connected to each other at the top, you wouldn't even need the swings themselves, maybe one chain or string hanging down with a broken bit of seat, or a bit of broken off chain.

Swing set, bouncy rides, jungle gym ... I can think of a whole host of things to add.  I just figured 3 was good for now.

In order to carry on the "SPACE!" theme for the playground, one idea I had for a swing set was to make the "A" frame a couple of cut-out rocket-ship shapes (and paste printed rocket-ship images on each side, with some wear-and-tear distress).  I've got some thin jewelry chain that should work well for the swings -- and at least one should be broken.

For a jungle gym, I was thinking of trying to somehow make a wire frame that's in the shape of a rocket ship or something else "spacey."  Or maybe I could do something with plastic sprues rather than wire?  Or maybe a combination of plastic sprues AND wire, with holes drilled through the sprues, and wire going through, so that way I've got my connections.  The big challenge would be how to hold it all together without it falling apart like a house of cards every time it's handled.

Also at some point I wanted to have a little bit to the side with a drinking fountain, waste can, and a park bench.

At that point, though, I'm going to have to make each addition its own stand-alone item, as it's going to get crowded.

• Like 3

This idea is so totally stealable great! I will be stealing praising this idea in the days ahead. This gives me a few stealable good ideas of my own. Thanks for posting this!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2