Leviathan

Question on metal assembly

Good afternoon, total noob here. I recently bought my first mini's to try it out, and I am quite pleased with the bones ones. However, I cannot figure out my sole metal mini. It's about 03723: Death Shroud, which comes in two small pieces. I can't seem to figure out how to put those small pieces together without leaving huge gaps in the mini. Before I try something drastic like cutting the bits I'm not sure belong there, I thought I'd try asking first just in cause there's something obvious I'm missing here.

Have a nice day.

IMG_20190326_153452.jpg

• Like 2

You may need some putty or green stuff to fill the gap.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Leviathan said:

I have no idea what that is

edit: so a clay-like substance that hardens after molding it?

If you search for Green Stuff in Miniature Hobby Webstores like Reaper, GW and such you will find it.

This hardens after a while, remains sticky for a reasonable time.

It is often used to fill gaps, you can also sculpt with it.

For a gap like this shroud has, I would use Green Stuff to fill the gaps.

Use superglue to glue it together, roughen up the area which is glued a little for a better bond.

• Like 3

Green stuff is a two part putty, one blue and one yellow that when mixed in equal portions turns green and creates a sticky blob you can use to fill cracks and gaps.  Most hobby stores sell it.  There is also a grey version. 

Likewise you can buy model putty in a squeeze tube from hobby shops. You just aim the tip and then smooth it in with your finger.  

In a pinch you can mix super glue and baby powder but that has a very short drying time so I'd suggest experimenting on something before you try it with your first miniature. 

Regrettably, forum rules prohibit me linking direct to products or shops so you'll have to search yourself or ask at your FLGS (friendly local game store). 

Here is an article I wrote for Reaper on assembling a metal dragon a few years back.  Everything still applies.  You won't need as much pinning, but the basic concepts still apply to any metal mini assembly/preparation. I hope that helps.

As for the putty, typically people use Kneadatite Blue/Yellow Putty (aka Greenstuff). 

Image result for kneadatite

• Like 3

Alright, so I use that or similar to fill in the gaps, and use the time until it dries to shape it into something. In that case I probably shouldn't start with the shroud, as it has a complicated texture. Guess I'll try it out.

• Like 3

As a side note, one big difference between what I do now that that article, is that I no longer hold parts or use 90 second epoxy. Instead I use 5 min and hold the parts together using wet sand to immobilize them for 2 to 5 hours.  This gives the best strength IMHO.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

hold the parts together using wet sand to immobilize them for 2 to 5 hours

Would you please explain this further?  I'm picturing either a mess or wet sand in sandwich bags and neither seem quite right.

I've seen a set of build tutorials that use Sculpey III clay (not an air-dry clay, for anyone not familiar) to keep pieces in place.  (Usually using balls between pieces or balls pressed against pill bottles or other material which are then pressed against the mini.)

• Like 3

If you get those ribbons of Greenstuff, please remember to cut away the center area as it's partially hardened. 

(I generally use Milliput superfine, white, and it comes as two 'sausages' in separate plastic bags, so there's no contamination)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

Would you please explain this further?  I'm picturing either a mess or wet sand in sandwich bags and neither seem quite right.

I've seen a set of build tutorials that use Sculpey III clay (not an air-dry clay, for anyone not familiar) to keep pieces in place.  (Usually using balls between pieces or balls pressed against pill bottles or other material which are then pressed against the mini.)

You take a pan of damp sand, about  3 inches deep and big enough to hold the mini.  Apply the glue to the joints of the mini and assemble it.  Then sink the unglued parts of the mini into the sand, packing it around the mini to hold everything still while the joint cures.  Don't let the sand touch the joint itself or it will stick to the epoxy as it cures.

For example, suppose you are gluing the wings on a dragon.  Apply the glue to the joints and pins and set the wings in place on the body.  Then holding the joints still, sink the tail of the body and the tips of the wings into the damp sand until the joint is held in place without you supporting it.  You may need to pack the sand around the parts and readjust the joint, but once you get it set in the sand you can walk away and come back tomorrow with a well cured epoxy joint.  It is the best way I have ever found to clamp mini parts together while gluing them with epoxy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

If you get those ribbons of Greenstuff, please remember to cut away the center area as it's partially hardened. 

(I generally use Milliput superfine, white, and it comes as two 'sausages' in separate plastic bags, so there's no contamination)

Some places do sell rolls of green stuff with a gap in the middle to avoid that issue. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

I've noticed with less-than-fresh standard Milliput that one of the two parts can get dried out and crunchy, so it is not a problem unique to the strips of two-part putties like green stuff.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Serenity said:

I've noticed with less-than-fresh standard Milliput that one of the two parts can get dried out and crunchy, so it is not a problem unique to the strips of two-part putties like green stuff.

It's not drying out that's the issue, that can happen to anything, but contamination. 

When the two parts comes in contact with each other the hardening process starts. It just doesn't penetrate far because the materials are so hard, so they don't really mix.    

And any handling of the strips, such as unrolling a coil will cause the process to spread further.     

• Like 2

Yeah I have this with my green stuff "ribbon" I think soon I'll get some more green stuff rollers and roll out the rest of my green stuff into bases, and the next time I'll get the kind that comes separately- it's a big chunk down the middle that seems to be lost- but also my blue side seems much narrower than the yellow side which is quite annoying and I think is getting worse the further into the roll I get.

• Like 2