Sign in to follow this  
Darsc Zacal

Bombshell Babes 4

13 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I don't think I've ever actually gotten any resin miniatures before. Is there an issue with them I'd need to be aware of?

They break far more easily. They can melt in acetone if you need to strip any paint, and some can even bend if you leave them too long in direct (strong) sunlight. Some resin can be harmful, like if they use a petroleum based compound.

• Like 3

Typically:

• More fragile
  • Crisper detail
  • Molds deteriorate faster (so occasionally you'll see chunks of resin where you should see details)
  • Light weight (might want to use a heavier base)
  • Some companies minis can have significant flash issues, but flash is very easy to clean up
  • Resin dust can be toxic (so make sure you manage dust if you need to sand).
  • Some resin minis can have pinhole-sized pits because of bubbles in the resin.
  • Gluing and pinning are a bit different.
  • Plus what @Grefven said.
Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Typically:

• More fragile
  • Crisper detail
  • Molds deteriorate faster (so occasionally you'll see chunks of resin where you should see details)
  • Light weight (might want to use a heavier base)
  • Some companies minis can have significant flash issues, but flash is very easy to clean up
  • Resin dust can be toxic (so make sure you manage dust if you need to sand).
  • Some resin minis can have pinhole-sized pits because of bubbles in the resin.
  • Gluing and pinning are a bit different.
  • Plus what @Grefven said.

Ah. Charming. A large resin historical figure I'm painting for a friend had a distinct smell when I was doing just a light filing and trimming stuff off the sprues. 

• Sad 1

I'm interested in them, sad I missed the last ones.

How fragile is his resin though? I use my minis for playing, and they might fall over (not down, I've made that veeeerrry clear to my players) or get handled more roughly than a painter would normally want to.

• Like 2

Just now, Grefven said:

They break far more easily. They can melt in acetone if you need to strip any paint, and some can even bend if you leave them too long in direct (strong) sunlight. Some resin can be harmful, like if they use a petroleum based compound.

Resin dust can be harmful especially to the lungs.

Use a mask when sanding, sawing, cutting.

When done. Clean up the dust from your work area with a damp cloth.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Nunae said:

How fragile is his resin though? I use my minis for playing, and they might fall over (not down, I've made that veeeerrry clear to my players) or get handled more roughly than a painter would normally want to.

Depends on the exact resin used, the casting process, and how thick the part is. They can be very durable or quite fragile, it depends.

(Not the answer you were looking for, I'm sure.)

2 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

You can also sand or file under water (either running or still).

• Like 4

Does anyone have experience with the Bombshell resin? Is it on the more durable side? The extra-super fragile stuff sounds too much hassle even for me to handle during painting.

• Like 2

I have models from their Kritterkin series.  It is good quality resin, and the models themselves seem to be sculpted with the qualities of resin in mind (they have limbs, etc that are able to stand up to the fragility of resin).  I agree that resin can be problematic if the low grade stuff is used, or the model has spindly limbs, but I've enjoyed the Bombshell stuff so far and would buy more that are in the same style.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

In general, a decent respirator mask is a good thing to have when dealing with absolutely any airborne or aerosolized patriculates of any kind.

I hate those cheapie disposable masks, they fog up my glasses and aren't very effective (especially with facial hair). Best thing I did was buy a respirator. Wasn't very expensive and I can just swap in new cartridges (and use a couple types depending on what I'm doing, sanding or airbrushing or whatever).

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Nunae said:

If they just fall over on the table, it shouldnt be any problems whatsoever. But if they would fall off the table, and land unluckily, then it could break. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I will have to see what is being offered, and what the buy-in levels are.  And while I'm waiting maybe paint some of the stuff from the first KS...

• Like 4

Them being lightweight isn't an issue to me - I use 1" diameter zinc washers as bases for all my human-sized minis, which gives them a nice, low center of gravity and makes tipping over barely a concern. Falling for long distances might still be a problem if dropped, but otherwise, I've had to address light-weight minis since migrating mostly over to Bones figures.

• Like 1

I am vaguely interested, will be keeping an eye on this one. Have enjoyed their minis in the past.

• Like 1

I still haven't painted any of my Bombshell Babes from the last round. 

"Resin" covers a wide range of materials; it could be epoxy, polyester, polyurethane, and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head, with a variety of properties. Like has been said, dust mitigation is important when cleaning up the models. I prefer to do wet sanding when preparing resin figures, so the dust gets suspended in the water which rinses off easily. That's with larger scale statuettes, which may not be practical with the small scale of these figures.

• Like 1