Sign in to follow this  
haldir

drill bits

Suggestions on drill bits for metal mini assembly. I'm looking for brands or other things to look for when choosing bits. My recent purchases of these have been stinkers when it comes to drilling into mini metals. I picked up Army Painter's drill bit set from CMoN during the 'infamouse" BF sale & they aren't the greatest. I started with a manual pin vice & I had to switch to a Dremel & even after that it took forever to drill to a decent depth.

Ever since I broke my bit inside Mash, the half-ogre's shoulder, I've had a hell of time finding decent bits. So any help would be appreciated.

Do a search for:  MICRO TWIST HSS DRILL BIT SET OF 10.   The set includes the following sizes:

• 0.5mm
  • 0.6mm
  • 0.8mm
  • 1.0mm
  • 1.2mm
  • 1.3mm
  • 1.5mm
  • 1.8mm
  • 2.0mm
  • 2.2mm

Should cover most sizes you need for pinning.

• Like 2

I'll second GreenStuffWorld.  Their bits seem to be okay (haven't tried any others yet), and usually at least a few other things from their store make it into my basket...

They also conveniently sell various stuff for pinning, like brass rods, and a LOT of different basing things.

• Like 1

I picked up a set from CML supply when I first got into the hobby.  They've lasted pretty well.  IIRC their ebay store was slightly cheaper than a direct order off of their site.

• Like 1

MicroMark sells quality bits. I bought some years ago and haven't had any issues with them. They're better than the ones I got in the Army Painter and P3 pinning sets I have.

• Like 3

I’ll second Micro Mark.  Mine have been great.

Edited by Harrek
  • Like 3

I'll mention it's also a good idea to use some lube whenever drilling. I drill into an old candle before I start drilling minis. 

• Like 4

Lubrication, as @Madog Barfog recommended (though I use light machine oil) and I strongly prefer to drill a pilot hole, which seems overkill when you're talking about a #72 drill bit or whatever, but it really helps.

For reference, I've painted two armies of 15mm pikemen that needed to have their lead pikes replaced with brass, so I've done ... a few ... holes. ::P:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Oh I use lube, I use 3n1. My problem is just quality of the drill bits that I have now. The one that broke in Mash's shoulder was probably the best bit I've had. One reason why I a grr'ed when it did break as I've yet to find a decent bit(s) since.

I was kinda floored when the Army Painter bits would barely bite into a Reaper Warlord mini with a Dremel!!

• Like 3