Glitterwolf

Deus Vult! Militi Christi Bust by Glitterwolf

On 5/14/2019 at 1:37 PM, Sanael said:

I'll also mention that a lot of what I said above about the Cross being equilateral, always having indentations, etc. is... Ideal from a graphical sense, but not necessarily realistic. We are talking about men who were mustered from all walks of life and generally made their own uniforms (or had them made). So "uniformity" was, um...a bit of a misnomer. The colors would be roughly the same (though dye quality would have varied, so one man's red might be quite different from another's, especially after a week in rain or sun). Which is to say, you may WANT some non-standard stuff.

Yep. I also have seen many variations of this cross. The Malteser seems to be the most common.

@Glitterwolf: You already got all the help you need here. You see: They are saying the same like me (Glitterwolf and me had a private talk about freehands).

I just have one thing to add: Always look for references (photos) before you start, especially when it is a historical figure. At your first post there is a reference. Mostly crusaders are painted with white robe and red cross. But I also have seen black ones so I suppose that it is not completely wrong, but in doubt I would follow a reference photo.

Painting: Hey, that`s absolutely great!!! Fantastic shading and highlighting. The face looks amazing. One complaint: There is dirt on your bust. You have worked it in by accident with your paints. Keep your working place clean!!! This is the first rule of clean painting. You cannot build up smooth blendings on a rough surface. I also painfully had to learn this. Apart from that a very intresting project. I stay tuned ::D:

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, vhaidra said:

Yep. I also have seen many variations of this cross. The Malteser seems to be the most common.

@Glitterwolf: You already got all the help you need here. You see: They are saying the same like me (Glitterwolf and me had a private talk about freehands).

I just have one thing to add: Always look for references (photos) before you start, especially when it is a historical figure. At your first post there is a reference. Mostly crusaders are painted with white robe and red cross. But I also have seen black ones so I suppose that it is not completely wrong, but in doubt I would follow a reference photo.

Painting: Hey, that`s absolutely great!!! Fantastic shading and highlighting. The face looks amazing. One complaint: There is dirt on your bust. You have worked it in by accident with your paints. Keep your working place clean!!! This is the first rule of clean painting. You cannot build up smooth blendings on a rough surface. I also painfully had to learn this. Apart from that a very intresting project. I stay tuned ::D:

Thx,

The dirt occured because I was painting in the garden, I brushed it off afterwards, I thappens when i take pics outside sometimes.

Wait..I see what you mean, there is a bit in the paint.

Hmm, okay this guy got dirty during battle...I can't scrape it off or can I, repaint?

As for reference.

I always do, this guy is a Knight Hospitaller.

image.jpeg.4f9101f5a2e5ffaf2ef0b35868ae2ae7.jpegAfbeeldingsresultaat voor order of st john crusaders

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 5

36 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Thx,

The dirt occured because I was painting in the garden, I brushed it off afterwards, I thappens when i take pics outside sometimes.

Wait..I see what you mean, there is a bit in the paint.

Yep, that`s what I meant.

Hmm, okay this guy got dirty during battle...I can't scrape it off or can I, repaint?

I wouldn`t scrape it off, too big particles. As you said this guy got dirty during battle. Add some weathering in the end (that`s anyway a good idea in this case) and it will become less obviously.

As for reference.

I always do, this guy is a Knight Hospitaller.

image.jpeg.4f9101f5a2e5ffaf2ef0b35868ae2ae7.jpegAfbeeldingsresultaat voor order of st john crusaders

Ah I see. Okay, I said nothing. Well done, sorry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, vhaidra said:

Yep, that`s what I meant.

I wouldn`t scrape it off, too big particles. As you said this guy got dirty during battle. Add some weathering in the end (that`s anyway a good idea in this case) and it will become less obviously.

Ah I see. Okay, I said nothing. Well done, sorry.

Ah good idea, some mud/dirt in the end.

Thx!

And no need to say sorry!

I appreciate your input.

I'am actually someone who is interested in (Military) History.

And I always look for reference when painting something that really exist(ed) like historic minis or animals.

Most people paint Crusaders as the Knights Templar, I wanted something else.

Knights Hospitallers, Order of St'John wore red robes, white cross ( both normal and maltese were worn during different periods) and black surcoats.

I was thinking of doing more highlights to the face.

• Like 5

Well I guess my suggestions are no longer needed. You've got better painters to help you now. Hihihi ... Which leaves me to say:

image.png.a64f732a8e8bbe0a33f2b3242e98c5e3.png

Oh boy - I LOVE those memes.

• Haha 6

15 minutes ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

Well I guess my suggestions are no longer needed. You've got better painters to help you now. Hihihi ... Which leaves me to say:

image.png.a64f732a8e8bbe0a33f2b3242e98c5e3.png

Oh boy - I LOVE those memes.

So do I!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Ah good idea, some mud/dirt in the end.

Thx!

Yep but don`t ask me how, I have got a fairly clean painting style and I´m not experianced in weathering and dirt effects. I just know how it theoretically works :lol: But I`m pretty sure here are tons of painter who can give you good advice in this issue. Someone will find you.

And no need to say sorry!

I appreciate your input.

Thanks, but I better had asked before and so it was my mistake and that is why I said sorry. All fine :-)))

I'am actually someone who is interested in (Military) History.

And I always look for reference when painting something that really exist(ed) like historic minis or animals.

Great, that`s a good approach.

Most people paint Crusaders as the Knights Templar, I wanted something else.

Knights Hospitallers, Order of St'John wore red robes, white cross ( both normal and maltese were worn during different periods) and black surcoats.

Got it ::D: Thanks for the info.

I was thinking of doing more highlights to the face.

I wouldn`t recommend this because your highlights are already almost pure white in fact it is light grey which looks good so far and your shadows are partially dark brown which is already a bit too much for my taste. What is missing here for more depth are: Midtones.

This yellowish midtone you used looks intresting as well as this reddish midtone. I used both midtones for working out the highlighting a bit more and for giving you an impression of what I mean.

I actually lightened up some heavy shadows and even darken the highlights a bit. Only exception was the nose, there I even increased the highlights, but painted them way smaller. At the side of the nose I increased darker midtones and shadows and that is why the highlight on the top of the nose pops out well now. It is all about contrast. You need a lot of midtones to connect highlights and shadows with each other and then the result is a good depth and you don`t feel the need to highlight or shading more.

I painted all highlights a bit smaller by surrounding them all with a midtone. That is why the highlights pop out better in my version although their are partially even a bit darker and most of all smaller as at your version. You have to examine the photo carefully because it is not much obvious what I did, because I didn`t want to damage what you have painted until now, because this looks almost perfect what you did. I just cleaned it up a bit and worked out more the shape I suppose here (I couldn`t see all clear, I hope it is right what I painted there).

I like all the different skintones (normal skintone, greyish, yellowish, reddish skintone) you used here, this is a very artistic approach and hard to do, but you did it very well. Apart from this the face actually has got enough depth especially for a bust. I also like this red on his cheeks, looks like a bruise because of fighting. I also like this blueish shadow around his left eye because this also looks like a bruise. Very realistic and all very well done. Indeed this is already almost perfect, you just have to clean it up a little bit and work the higlighting out a bit better by simply using more midtones for smoothing it out all a bit. That`s all. You see my version is not much different from your, just a bit cleaner:

Crusader Glitterwolf edit 2.jpg

Edited by vhaidra
English mistakes
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

Well I guess my suggestions are no longer needed. You've got better painters to help you now. Hihihi ...

I liked all your comments until now and I agree to all of them. You have got a good eye when it comes to judging paintjobs, this is a very precious skill. So: Don`t need to hide. By the way: I love your jokes very much haha. And what you said to Glitterwolf in the beginning (more highlights and shading) had a huge impact/effect as you see. He did it and it looks awesome. So: Please stay with us here.

We need you for a** - kicking Glitterwolf lol.

Edited by vhaidra
Again English mistakes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@vhaidra

I have started painting busts a few years ago.

This is my 9th. And actually my 3th normal Human ( the others were Vampires/Beastmen and one is a bust that looks like my Dog an one dias de muertos lady with so much facepaint she's doesn't look like a normal human again.

About toning it down/ raising the highlights and deepening the shadows by using more midtone.

On my first Bust ( Kyra the Barbarian Queen, one of the links in my last PM) I did this by using the midtone and made a glaze out of that and glazed the area till it was to my satisfaction.

If I understand correctly I now would need to use thin paint of the midtone and paint that around the highlights and shadow areas I want to enhance?

My main problem is actually that I used different colours like red/purple/yellowish tones to give him those.

If I would use the "basic" skintone as a midtone wouldn't I then lose too much of those red/purple/yellows?

Should I mix a midtone with these first?

Or would glazing a midtone work better then?

I know how to make a glaze, watery thin and needing several layers, let each dry...

Any tips?

OH and I fear you're giving me praise for someone else's work.

See below!!!!

@SisterMaryNapalm

I do value your input so don't you go away now..

And I like your humor.

To both of you, I listen and appreciate all advice.

Sometimes I might not do as suggested.

This can happen when I feel a mini isn't worth it.

For example the Samurai I turned into a statue, Sister told me to use more wash, why didn't I?

Because the face of that mini was so bad it would just become more of a blob and I was done with it, I was satisfied with it looking like a worn/crude statue without much facial features.

And sometimes because I feel I can't pull it off, maybe next time...

Now for this bust we're talking about something I really want to do well.

Like I said this is nr. 9 and I have actually over a dozen different busts waiting for paint ( and pledged for a few in Kickstarters) and I have some large scale minis varying from 54mm to 75mm waiting as well.

BOTH OF YOU. ( And anyone who wants to give advice)

Weathering.

I was actually thinking of getting a little bottle of mud effect and apply that on those areas and some more.

Maybe add some dried blood ( I have that as well from Vallejo) to make him look like he's been in battle.

I realise I made a mistake when describing his outfit, I said black surcoat, but I meant his cape..those were black.

Red surcoat/robes, white cross.

One fo the reasons I want this guy to look good, it will become a gift.

That person has no idea yet.

But I want it to look good enough to be able to give it as a present to a certain someone.

Thanks to all the people here who give advice, hints and likes.

Very motivating and helpful.

@vhaidra

6 hours ago, vhaidra said:

Crusader Glitterwolf edit 2.jpg

That pic is not of my Bust, that is the one I showed because it had a different way of painting the cross!

Are you sure MY bust's face is already that good?

Because I feel he might need a little more of the red/purple etc..and some highlights?

DSCN0615.JPG

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 5

LOL great! I did it. I dropped a brick :lol: After only 3 days. Oh my god. Yeah I already wondered how you could paint his face so fast, so well LOL. Okay I see.

For the moment I just answer short here, because I have to go to bed now and concerning skintones and painting technique I have written a huge text here at cicciopius thread (Alice and the rabbit) this answers already a lot of your questions here. Read this first please and for the case that there are still questions we can talk about today evening.

Cheers and again sorry :lol:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, vhaidra said:

LOL great! I did it. I dropped a brick :lol: After only 3 days. Oh my god. Yeah I already wondered how you could paint his face so fast, so well LOL. Okay I see.

For the moment I just answer short here, because I have to go to bed now and concerning skintones and painting technique I have written a huge text here at cicciopius thread (Alice and the rabbit) this answers already a lot of your questions here. Read this first please and for the case that there are still questions we can talk about today evening.

Cheers and again sorry :lol:

::P:

No problem, fun fact, I did use red/purples and such a bit, but not to that level yet.

There IS a light bruise so at first I didn't notice, then I looked at the pic and thought, why would she repaint the beard and robes?

I will read that part and think about it.

It will take a few days before I can paint again anyway.

Have a good night!

On 5/13/2019 at 8:04 AM, vhaidra said:

For to reach smooth transitions there are two most common ways.

1. Use the acrylic paints as transparent layers/filter. This allows you to build up the transition very slowly bit by bit. Always wait until the previous layer is completely dried. This is known as simple Layering.

2. Mixing paints. Take a Midtone and mix in a brighter colour for the highlights (often white is used for this, in this case here it can be also a very bright skintone) and for the dark midtones and shadows mix in a darker colour for example this reddish skintone. 

This reddish skintone you use for the shadows is very saturated, very strong. If you wish to find the right tone of suitable darker midtones and shadows in this case you just need to add carefully a very small amount of this dark red, just a little brushtip of this reddish skintone to a way larger amount of your base colour. Try it first on paper and if it is too bright, add a bit more, but not too much at once.

Building up blendings with mixing paints works that way that you have got 5 until 9, depending on the size of the detail (in the case of Non Metallic Metal often even 10 or 11 degrees) of brightness. Each mix should be similar in tone and only slightly different in brightness/darkness from the one before and the one after. This makes it in fact very easy to build up a rough, but deep transition. After this you can soften it with more diluted paints.

Mixing paints in the right way works way faster than tedious Layering.

As a general rule:

The more difference between the tones, the more dilution is necessary for getting a smooth transition. If the difference is very huge you need to dilute the paints to a consistency like almost slightly coloured water.

The fewer the difference between the tones (good job at the mixing), the thicker you can apply the paints. With "thicker" I mean semitransparent, a consistency like milk for example.

The first way (much difference between the tones) leads to this endless and tedious layering with not much success. Only after hours of hours one can see anything.

The second way works damned fast. First it looks all a bit rough, but you have got a basic transition at least with good depth and then you can keep on working with thinner layers over this basic transition for to get it smoother.

I can`t tell all at once. I will follow you and so I can check out your future paintjobs and we can deepen this topic bit by bit with time.

But you are on a really good way. You just need the right tipps now.

Check out my palette, my prepared transition for painting skintones, then you get an idea of what I mean:

Bild 17 Hautfarbe Palette.jpg

Quoted here for reference.

Nr. 1 is what I meant with Glazing.

Nr. 2 is something I will try the next time I slap paint on our Knight!

Edited by Glitterwolf

13 hours ago, vhaidra said:

You have got a good eye when it comes to judging paintjobs, this is a very precious skill.

And that's all what's left of my "skills", so that's currently everything I can and will do. I leave the rest to someone else.

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

@SisterMaryNapalm

I do value your input so don't you go away now..

And I like your humor.

I want to be honest: I was never here. I gave you some advice, and after that - you know - my mind again started what Cyradis once so colorfully described as"wither away" and I just forgot I had ever taken part in this thread.

Almost everything from the beginning  of this year up to last week is somehow blurry, mixed up and forgotten. So I am no real help at the moment and I don't want to be. I told you what I can and want to tell you and the rest is up to you and everyone able and willing to help.

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

@SisterMaryNapalm

This can happen when I feel a mini isn't worth it.

For example the Samurai I turned into a statue, Sister told me to use more wash, why didn't I?

Because the face of that mini was so bad it would just become more of a blob and I was done with it, I was satisfied with it looking like a worn/crude statue without much facial features.

And sometimes because I feel I can't pull it off, maybe next time...

I really had to look up the thread, cause I couldn't remember. Yeah, right. I stopped answering it, because I thought everything was done, but there was one thing I didn't tell you back then:

image.png.f4bc02a18901dabb8a2cbf0273bc3241.png

I still think you could have done more with it, but hey - in the end it's your figure and your decision. So, keep it up.

• Like 1

I`m a bit busy today so just in short for the moment:

Before adding intresting shades in red, purple, green whatever it is necessary to learn layering in a normal, simple way. This means lighten up the basecolour for highlights and darken the basecolour for shadows. A glaze is a thin layer of transparent paints. There is one guy he calls Vince Venturella and he is an awesome teacher, his videos are far beyond boring and always full of most important information. YES I admit I`m a fan of him. He is great, check out some videos by him for understanding the basics of Glazing, Layering and such. 

Vince Venturella - Hobby Cheating 122 - How to Glaze

Vince Venturella - Hobby Cheating 107 - How to Achieve Smooth Blends

My own technique is a combination. I also paint like Vince Venturella shows, but I have got some own tricks too and I combine all with each other. I can explain all with time and bit by bit. But the most important question is: Are you willing to learn, are you willing to improve? And are you willing to spend more time with your paintjobs? Without this all advice is useless. 

Cheers,

Yvonne

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1