Glitterwolf

Deus Vult! Militi Christi Bust by Glitterwolf

Right,

Using Andrea Paints I gave him a new basecoat and a first highlight.

More later today.

@vhaidra I can't paint and wait..I can paint today so I will keep going when it feels good.

I will use more highlights and more shadows then first.

I use Andrea now.

I have used Nr. 1 for the base and mixed it with nr. 3 for a first highlight.

Somewhere along the line I will use a flesh wash to tie it all together  or use a glaze of the midtone.

DSCN0927.JPG

DSCN0928.JPG

DSCN0929.JPG

DSCN0930.JPG

The difference

Hope it looks better.

Top First try, Bottom new try.

DSCN0841.JPGDSCN0928.thumb.JPG.dff038ca4b2a9db3ee0aa98034a76f30.JPG

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 8

Andrea nr. 4, next highlight.

Reaper NMM Gold.

Andrea White nr. 1

DSCN0940.JPG

DSCN0941.JPG

DSCN0942.JPG

• Like 7

Andrea nr 5 for shadow and Reaper Flesh Wash.

Looks bad now, but will need tons of glazes to get to where I want it.

DSCN0943.JPG

DSCN0944.JPG

@Sanael thx for the advice, I think the white cross looks better this way!

Also:

Scale 75 Indian Shadow.

Now the glazing begins...

DSCN0945.JPG

DSCN0946.JPG

DSCN0947.JPG

• Like 7

Another glaze.

I also did the wooden cross(es) Vallejo Surface Prime, Concrete, Sand Grey and Dark Gray wash to give it an worn wooden look.

This man does not look for riches, a wooden cross is all he needs to channel his faith.

The Infidels will run before his stern gaze and sharp sword!

DSCN0955.JPG

DSCN0956.JPG

DSCN0957.JPG

DSCN0958.JPG

DSCN0959.JPG

DSCN0960.JPG

• Like 10

Great paint job.  You are getting much better results than I ever could with acrylics.  Have you ever tried oils on your busts?  With the better than competent brushwork that you have shown here and the size of the bust I think that they would really make this one pop.  If you have not tried there are plenty of toots online in both video and text versions.  They are not everyone's cup of tea but i think they would take you to the next level in realism.  My two cents. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, snitchythedog said:

Great paint job.  You are getting much better results than I ever could with acrylics.  Have you ever tried oils on your busts?  With the better than competent brushwork that you have shown here and the size of the bust I think that they would really make this one pop.  If you have not tried there are plenty of toots online in both video and text versions.  They are not everyone's cup of tea but i think they would take you to the next level in realism.  My two cents. 

I used oils when I started with military kits in my youth.

I use acrylics because I can easily wash paint of my hands with those and there are no fumes.

Most of the time I have to set up my paint stuff on the dinner table, the fumes would be unwanted.

I can't remember if oils did behave that different.

But what kind would you recommend then? 

Just weighing options.

I also don't own an airbrush and never will.

I solely paint with brushes.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I used oils when I started with military kits in my youth.

I use acrylics because I can easily wash paint of my hands with those and there are no fumes.

Most of the time I have to set up my paint stuff on the dinner table, the fumes would be unwanted.

I can't remember if oils did behave that different.

But what kind would you recommend then? 

Just weighing options.

You might be thinking about enamels such as the old Testors model paints in the tiny glass jars.  Oils are what many portrait painters use and usually come in a squeeze tube.  You will not be able to get away from the fumes as you need White Spirits to thin them and use them effectively.  They behave very differently from both enamels and acrylics.  If you watch some of the youtubes about using them you will see what I am talking about.   They can be used both as a wash and a filter.  Painted on neat works too.  Nice thing is they take time to dry so you can work on things until you are happy and they dry completely flat.  I do not use an airbrush either.  However they do need their own brushes as the oils and white spirits will not mix well with acrylics. 

I use Windsor and Newton exclusively.  I do not use any of the super special artists white spirits just what I can pick up at the DIY store. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, snitchythedog said:

You might be thinking about enamels such as the old Testors model paints in the tiny glass jars.  Oils are what many portrait painters use and usually come in a squeeze tube.  You will not be able to get away from the fumes as you need White Spirits to thin them and use them effectively.  They behave very differently from both enamels and acrylics.  If you watch some of the youtubes about using them you will see what I am talking about.   They can be used both as a wash and a filter.  Painted on neat works too.  Nice thing is they take time to dry so you can work on things until you are happy and they dry completely flat.  I do not use an airbrush either.  However they do need their own brushes as the oils and white spirits will not mix well with acrylics. 

I use Windsor and Newton exclusively.  I do not use any of the super special artists white spirits just what I can pick up at the DIY store. 

Ah, enamels, that's right, Humbrol and Revell were my thing back then.

So for real, the ones in tubes people use on canvas?

Never thought of those.

The fumes from the white are a problem, I can't use that indoors.

Sometimes I paint in the garden during summer, might be a possibility, but it would be limited.

I would need to study how those work as well.

Not sure if I'm willing to investigate the money and time in those.

But I will check out youtube to seen how and what before I decide.

Thanks for explaining!

• Like 2

Vallejo Golden Brown and Reaper Ebony Flesh mixed and ending in pure Golden Brown for the hair and beard.

More Reaper Rosy Skin and Andrea Fleshtones for the face.

He actually has more shadows in his face in real life, the camera washes some away.

I'm pretty happy with the hair.

What do you think?

Do the eyes need a darker pupil in the white?

It will be very small then, or leave them like this?

Advice?

DSCN0984.JPG

DSCN0985.JPG

DSCN0986.JPG

DSCN0987.JPG

DSCN0988.JPG

DSCN0989.JPG

DSCN0990.JPG

DSCN0991.JPG

DSCN0992.JPG

DSCN0993.JPG

• Like 9

Sorry for being so late here, but my real life needed my complete attention the last 2 weeks. Well this was an intresting developement. Your "glazes" have been much too saturated (not diluted enough) and normally the darker skintones are just mixed in the brighter skintones and never used pure. And if they are used pure then they need to be extremly diluted (very transparent). You can use the paints in a thicker consistency if you just mix in the darker tones into the lighter skintones for shading them without a rough interruption in the transition or you need to dilute the darker tones much more. Otherwise it becomes way too dark in the shadows.

So by looking at the one or the other image here I felt a slightly "shock" LOL, buuuuuut.....in the end it looks good. I think this looks fairly smooth and it seems there is enough depth too. Photos are a bit bright at the upper parts and so I can`t see the shading at his forehead very well, but his cheeks looks damned good as well as the sides of the nose and the shadows surrounding his eyes. All cool so far and I would let it be as it is now, because this is already the progress we were looking for and you made it. Congrats!!! ::D:

If you still have fun in painting the bust, you could try to add depth to his black and his red robe too, in the same way you have achieved it at the face, but be more carefully with glazes this time. A glaze should always be transparent. If needed you can add the glaze a couple of times more for making it look darker, but if you start already too dark/too saturated (too opaque) you have got much work in highlighting all again and again and again and that is doubled work. As already explained mixing helps!!! If you are mixing the darker tones with your brighter tones you can build up easily a smooth transition with thicker paints. If you don`t mix then you have to dilute the darker tones extremely for avoiding harsh interruptions and so on.

Hair and beard look fantastic too. Fine, this makes me very happy to see, keep going!!!

• Thanks 1

Skin tones are really starting to come together, solid work on the shading so far - you are doing great! Like you mentioned, your photos are overexposed and it is blowing out a bit; might need to diffuse/soften the lighting a bit more.

It might be just me, but the eyes look...backwards? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pupil

That is to say the reflection spot is where the pupil should be, the iris should contain the color and is darkest in both the inner and outer-most edges.

Where is your primary light source coming from? Directly overhead, I presume?

• Thanks 1

@vhaidra

Thank you!

I will try to get the cape and robes soon.

Slowly getting there.

@Al Capwn

Thx!

The lighting was from the sun, I took pics on the garden table, maybe too bright since the forehead was washed out a bit, there IS shadow there.

As for the eyes, thanks for pointing this out, I was wondering what was wrong with them, something didn't feel right.

So yes, I need to paint that white spots very dark as pupils and then add reflection spots.

Maybe a slightly lighter brown for the eyes.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

So yes, I need to paint that white spots very dark as pupils and then add reflection spots.

Maybe a slightly lighter brown for the eyes.

Yep, and I would go fairly bright on the warm browns towards yellows: https://www.aclens.com/Most-Common-Eye-Color

If you take a good look at the references there, you can see (ha!) the inner part of the iris has some fairly bright striations of color before diffusing into the darkest colors at the outer edge. Also note that the placement of the reflection (be it more on the iris or pupil) is determined the the angle of the light source. Hopefully that is useful.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Al Capwn said:

Yep, and I would go fairly bright on the warm browns towards yellows: https://www.aclens.com/Most-Common-Eye-Color

If you take a good look at the references there, you can see (ha!) the inner part of the iris has some fairly bright striations of color before diffusing into the darkest colors at the outer edge. Also note that the placement of the reflection (be it more on the iris or pupil) is determined the the angle of the light source. Hopefully that is useful.

It is.

My main problem is, the eyes are tiny...

That colour reference is great!

I will use that!