Chaoswolf

Box of Goodwill round 8 picture/chatter thread

46 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

I think that box should be switched back to a medium box at earliest convenience, tbh. It currently costs something like $14.35 to ship the medium box, which is already $2 more than it was on the last round. The large box costs $20ish to ship. That's not a huge difference, but significant enough that you could cause someone to have to drop out from participating. All of the boxes have been medium boxes for some time, I think that's what they should stay. If there's too much stuff to fit into a medium box, then the person downsizing the box has reason to take out extra stuff to make it work.

I think that's a better idea than forcing someone to either suck up the extra unexpected cost or have to be embarrassed to say that they can't afford it.

Seeing as this is my mistake, if the contents don't fit into a medium I'm willing pay the difference in shipping for the rest of the box's trip.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

I think that box should be switched back to a medium box at earliest convenience, tbh. It currently costs something like $14.35 to ship the medium box, which is already $2 more than it was on the last round. The large box costs $20ish to ship. That's not a huge difference, but significant enough that you could cause someone to have to drop out from participating. All of the boxes have been medium boxes for some time, I think that's what they should stay. If there's too much stuff to fit into a medium box, then the person downsizing the box has reason to take out extra stuff to make it work.

I think that's a better idea than forcing someone to either suck up the extra unexpected cost or have to be embarrassed to say that they can't afford it.

I agree that we should try to keep these things standardized to avoid expensive surprises.

With advanced notice, @TaleSpinner might be able to pick up a medium-sized box, and compress the contents to fit. There was extra space in the existing box when it left me, so it might not be too crazy a change, especially if the retail-packaged items get unloaded, and placed in bags.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

I agree that we should try to keep these things standardized to avoid expensive surprises.

With advanced notice, @TaleSpinner might be able to pick up a medium-sized box, and compress the contents to fit. There was extra space in the existing box when it left me, so it might not be too crazy a change, especially if the retail-packaged items get unloaded, and placed in bags.

Yeah, but given what I'm intending to put into the box though...:rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

I could make it fit in a medium box, and then take what didn't fit to ReaperCon. I'm usually sitting a table throwing extra paint and minis at people anyways, so this just gives me more ammunit- I mean donation goodies. ::):

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

Ha!  When I went to the post office, the dude scanned the box and tried to print a label for $42!!  Needless to say, I had a “discussion” with the postal worker on the correct fee for a flat rate box. :grr:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

Pictures!!

Staying at the Hare House....

E6B011A7-CA4B-40E8-B96A-C1A6B9AD5B30.thumb.jpeg.28fb560e2e8f7628c9ae4fc9743a4e61.jpeg

Clockwise from the left:

Bones 4 Spirit Beast

Bones 4 Dark Dwarf Smiter, regular and large

Bones Hellknight (forget which order he is)

Bones 4 Brain monster

Metal axolytl companion

Metal Mousling Cowgirl and her trusty Hound

Then as I was closing the box, these guys jumped out and demanded to stay with their clansman. 

6E85FDB9-155C-41C3-9FED-37521A0E0603.thumb.jpeg.08b0ffbc75a59a468bb1f801683dd663.jpeg

So I added more replacement bones to top off the box and sealed it up quick before the <redacted> could wiggle out as well. 

And it’s off to visit the West Coast. 

Edited by AutumnHare
Spelling
  • Like 16

@Rat13---don't worry about the box, it's not that big a deal.

If it's at all possible though, we should try to keep it to the medium sized box.

• Like 6

As far as unpackaging figures, what I do is put them in an individual baggie large enough to hold the figure, and then clip off the top of the backing card to fold up and place in with it - just enough for the person looking to tell the manufacturer and the model number.

Most of the time that'll easily fit inside a small mini-sized baggie, especially if folded in half.

Also, you can conserve major space by packing the minis carefully rather than just dumping them in a bag. Stack them so that the figures lay naturally flat against one another, and point bendy weapons in toward the middle whenever possible. A figure with bat/dragon wings, for example, is going to have empty space inside the folds of the wings that you can use to house protruding bits of other figures. As the bases are usually one of the widest parts, stagger them and try to fit them in the spaces between other figures.... Think of it like a three-dimensional game of Tetris.

Lay the bags flat in the box, and use smaller bags to fill in space around the larger ones.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, AutumnHare said:

Pictures!!

Staying at the Hare House....

E6B011A7-CA4B-40E8-B96A-C1A6B9AD5B30.thumb.jpeg.28fb560e2e8f7628c9ae4fc9743a4e61.jpeg

Clockwise from the left:

Bones 4 Spirit Beast

Bones 4 Dark Dwarf Smiter, regular and large

Bones Hellknight (forget which order he is)

Bones 4 Brain monster

Metal axolytl companion

Metal Mousling Cowgirl and her trusty Hound

Then as I was closing the box, these guys jumped out and demanded to stay with their clansman. 

6E85FDB9-155C-41C3-9FED-37521A0E0603.thumb.jpeg.08b0ffbc75a59a468bb1f801683dd663.jpeg

So I added more replacement bones to top off the box and sealed it up quick before the <redacted> could wiggle out as well. 

And it’s off to visit the West Coast. 

Those dwarves are awesome! Cannot wait to paint mine up from my bones 4 stuff:) I already have a few things from Bones 4 lined up in case I find anything I like, like <redacted> and some great <redacted>. I also need to bag up a few bags of Kitty litter and Baking soda, have a few bags this time that are nice sized so there may be enough to go around. Also, did anyone down the line want one of the cool egg sorters (make great BIG paint trays!) I showed earlier? I may also have something from a now (sadly) defunct company that helped make our mini's look better:)

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I could make it fit in a medium box, and then take what didn't fit to ReaperCon. I'm usually sitting a table throwing extra paint and minis at people anyways, so this just gives me more ammunit- I mean donation goodies. ::):

See? Now I'm afraid to give you a metal miniature.

Those things can hurt!

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

The @Guindyloo  boxhas arrived!   

Can't wait to paw though all the stuff!    Our resident Xenomorph has outdone herself, as it is stuffed to near breaking with mini goodness. ::):

fullsizeoutput_47f6.jpeg

• Like 15

3 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

The @Guindyloo  boxhas arrived!   

Can't wait to paw though all the stuff!    Our resident Xenomorph has outdone herself, as it is stuffed to near breaking with mini goodness. ::):

fullsizeoutput_47f6.jpeg

That seriously looks like bait for some kind of trap.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

7 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

That seriously looks like bait for some kind of trap.

Well, it worked!    I know it will easy enough snare me into ending up wasting my afternoon today. :lol:

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 6
  • Haha 5

Got in from my trip late last night to find Generic Fighter's box waiting for me! Its chock full of all sorts of stuff, but I unfortunately won't be able to *really* rummage until later tonight or tomorrow. :unsure:

I also got my KS shipping notice from Reaper this morning. It's coming via Priority Mail and they're only an hour away from me, so I expect to get my Bones on Thursday. I know there's some stuff in my order that I won't use, so in the box it shall go! I will aim to send it back on it's way Friday if not sooner. ::):

• Like 10

Pix!

I took:

DSC_1315.jpg.cdc5c588883b28a9780f98ac60b2a864.jpg

Darksword Minis Stephanie Law Kickstarter Pack A and Pack E

A "Walking Dead" Michonne figure of plastic pegged together, about 35-40mm tall.

A few bitz of plastic arms and a skeleton torso holding a spear

5 Heroclix superhero figures

11 fantasy prepainted figures of werewolves, tree guys, and some sorts of four-armed blue guys

A sort of steampunk red robot Heroclix prepaint thingie

A Games Workshop chaos dude, assembled and partly painted

Have fun downstream ...

Edited by Pingo
No need to spoiler
  • Like 16