Chaoswolf

Box of Goodwill round 8 picture/chatter thread

7 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

Yes the idea of excluding folks has come up before and usually gets decided against as it is such a great way for new people at get their hands on an interesting assortment of new minis. And we usually encourage them to take more, as the more experienced among us usually have more than enough to refill the boxes.  In general we like to encourage new forum members, not discourage them. 

As far as I know, unscrupulous members absconding with a BOGW has never happened (can anyone correct or verify me on this?) 

There may have been one member who went radio silent and vanished with a box, I think? It was a while ago and I could just be misremembering.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Well on the subject of goodwill... the box is supposed to be filled with stuff it's owners had no use for.  If someone really wants to nab the box that badly, I don't think any one here would complain too much.  It's more about curtosy than ownership, at least that's my thought.

Seems strange the person would go through all the effort to line up the BoGW and then not provide a method to receive it.  Disappearing after receiving the box I get, but before?  Seems like life issues or cold feet to me.

But then I am ever the optimist when it comes to people...

I have had a person last year who opted to participate.

Was next in line to me, has been active on this forum for a while and then just never responded anymore.

Box was sent to the next in line after that person didn't communicate for a while.

We don't know what happens to people in real life.

That person could have been sick, maybe had some troubles or simply left the hobby?

Stealing the whole box, I haven't seen that, and hope I won't..

• Like 8

Brain weasels and Life (life weasels?) have been conspiring against me for awhile now, and the corpses are piled high and deep...

I will be repacking the BoG tonight and tomorrow, and hopefully get it sent out immediately thereafter.

• Like 12

23 hours ago, Marc said:

You know, that might be a good critera going forward - you have to have been a ‘member’ here with a minimum of X number of posts before tou can get in on these ...

That was kicked around a bit back when I first had this idea, and maybe the first two rounds. Due to a mostly good response as well as having a lot of new people displaying a ton of enthusiasm and wanting to start boxes, it's mostly gone away. Everyone seems to really want this to work and continue, so I'm willing to take a chance.

21 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

Yes the idea of excluding folks has come up before and usually gets decided against as it is such a great way for new people at get their hands on an interesting assortment of new minis. And we usually encourage them to take more, as the more experienced among us usually have more than enough to refill the boxes.  In general we like to encourage new forum members, not discourage them. 

As far as I know, unscrupulous members absconding with a BOGW has never happened (can anyone correct or verify me on this?) 

It has, but there's nothing to be done about it, so I'm not going to go into detail.  It's not enough to make me give up on the idea or take any drastic steps, though.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Brain weasels and Life (life weasels?) have been conspiring against me for awhile now, and the corpses are piled high and deep...

I will be repacking the BoG tonight and tomorrow, and hopefully get it sent out immediately thereafter.

Since I'm next, no worries when you can get the box out. Hopefully you have a successful battle vs those weasels!!

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Just glad to see you back!

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Well on the subject of goodwill... the box is supposed to be filled with stuff it's owners had no use for.  If someone really wants to nab the box that badly, I don't think any one here would complain too much.  It's more about curtosy than ownership, at least that's my thought.

Seems strange the person would go through all the effort to line up the BoGW and then not provide a method to receive it.  Disappearing after receiving the box I get, but before?  Seems like life issues or cold feet to me.

But then I am ever the optimist when it comes to people...

Well, I think the first option I gave was more likely by far but the second is one we should be ready for, just in case. Especially since it has happened before. Perhaps we should discuss this thoroughly before the next BoGW happens so we have an idea of what to do if something of this sort happens again.

GF

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

You take care of yourself!

Happy you're back!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

It has, but there's nothing to be done about it, so I'm not going to go into detail.  It's not enough to make me give up on the idea or take any drastic steps, though.

At this point I could probably start two or three boxes and still have 20 miniatures left to paint...

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

I know I'm not the chatterbox of some, but I'm excited for my first box.  I've been raiding boxes in my garage and pulling out odd interesting things that I might put in to exchange, though I realize that only the box starter is after me..  If anyone is a big GW fan though, I probably have enough stuff from pre 2007 to start two boxes....

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 9

35 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

I know I'm not the chatterbox of some, but I'm excited for my first box.  I've been raiding boxes in my garage and pulling out odd interesting things that I might put in to exchange, though I realize that only the box starter is after me..  If anyone is a big GW fan though, I probably have enough stuff from pre 2007 to start two boxes....

No worries about being next to last, as the box contents will most likely form the basis of a new box for the next round.  So anything you put in will be enjoyed by a full circuit of folks the next time around. ::):

• Like 8

On 5/13/2019 at 7:42 PM, AHY79 said:

That's a really good idea. I'm glad you came up with it after I got in on this round (since I'm a newbie and haven't posted much). :unsure:

Now that I have Pineapple's address in hand (yay), I can get this little beast out of my house tomorrow ('nother yay)!  Will post in the departure thread and send tracking # to both Pineapple & GF when I have it. Thanks again, guys. 

Since I am in this group and we are both in Dallas area we should have just hooked up and had me rummage through the box too. Save on postage for someone.  :)  Oh well...maybe by the time it gets back here there will be really cool things.

Out of all the boxes I have gotten the last few years I have taken maybe as much as some take and replace in one go. We have a ton of stuff already and I usually tell my daughter to not take anything unless she really really wants it.  We just like to do the box of goodwill for fun and to see all the different things people drop into it.

16 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Just remember that karma can be a serious pain in the butt.  That makes me feel better after someone scams a group like this while doing something fun.  Back in my earlier days we would have taken a flight to the last known address and asked for it back.  Now...i just don't care enough and move on.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, HolkDiggity said:

Just got the box from @Chris Palmer today, and I can't wait to finish work and burrow into it like a nerdy landshark!

Hooray!  Glad it got there safe and sound.  Can’t wait to see what catches your eye!  There’s a bunch of good stuff in there, including a big redacted and some redacted from Bones 4! :lol:

Enjoy!

Note: don’t forget to post it’s arrival on the Arrival/Departure thread:  https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/85915-box-of-goodwill-round-8-arrivaldeparture-thread/&page=3

And post again there when you send it out to the next person.

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Generic Fighter said:

Well, I think the first option I gave was more likely by far but the second is one we should be ready for, just in case. Especially since it has happened before. Perhaps we should discuss this thoroughly before the next BoGW happens so we have an idea of what to do if something of this sort happens again.

GF

We had to replace a box last round. Between what extras Chaoswolf had, and stuff I sent him, and maybe a few others we filled a spare easily.   As long as it doesn't become a recurring problem I think we can replace a box  once in a rare while without significant trouble. 

• Like 7