Chaoswolf

Box of Goodwill round 8 picture/chatter thread

42 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

I agree with Glitterwolf, if someone seems to be MIA, I would both pm them and tag them here.

Two important things to note -

The date that someone last visited the forum on their profile is not necessarily accurate. If you look at my profile it says that the last time I visited the forum was January 5,2018. That is obviously not accurate, as I'm sitting here typing this now. If someone, like myself, checks off the box "sign in anonymously" when they log in to their account, it will not update their last visit to the forum until they log in without that box checked. I forget about it because every device that I log in to the forum from is also set to keep me signed in.

Also, the forum is spotty at best about sending email notifications for receiving private messages. I would say it's about 50/50 for me. It's not going into my spam box, the forum just doesn't send it sometimes. So from time to time I log on and to my surprise I have a pm waiting for me.

So, point being, don't assume that just because the forum is telling you that someone's not active, that it definitely means they're not. They just might be set to anonymous and haven't thought to check in and just need a little nudge. If they don't respond to the nudging, then it's time to seek alternatives. 

Thanks for pointing out the anonymous possibility.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

There isn't really a whole lot we can do, though. I'm not certain , but we're probably treading a little close to the no trading policy that our hosts have in place. If this starts to become a problem, Reaper can just say 'no' and that's all she wrote. Calling someone out on the forum is just going to lead to problems and hard feelings. We could go back to needing to have 'X' number of posts or something similar, but that doesn't honestly prove a whole lot about someone's trustworthiness.

We've lost 2 boxes. With one of them ( a new-ish person), a natural disaster (hurricane and resultant flooding) was involved. No, the person has not been back on the forums. I think we can chalk that up to life becoming a real PITA and a box of toys just kinda isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things.

The second was a member with in excess of 5000 posts. Not sure what happened there.

I'm not holding the hurricane against that person, so losing one box out of 7 rounds of this thing so far isn't too bad, IMO. Does that mean I want to happen with any regularity? No, but so far, 99% of the people involved have tried to make sure it works the way its supposed to, and I think that's pretty good. If it turns out that I'm being naive and half the boxes in this round go AWOL, then I may need to rethink this and not be so trusting.

About all we can really do is what @Inarah mentions below.

That box did finally meander it's way back home, BTW. It was just stuck for an unacceptably long time. This is why I try to emphasize the 1 week turn around between receipt of the box and sending it to the next person.

Yeah, I agree. The only reason I brought this stuff up was so we might be prepared in case it happens sometime. Mostly because I'm an obsessive over preparer, especially for gaming stuff. As a D&D DM, I notoriously over prepare to a ridiculous degree! I'll take days working on every possible thing my Players might do only to have them do something I didn't expect at all about 5-10 minutes in to the session, usually that will redirect the session in another, unexpected direction for much of the session too!

GF

• Like 9

I finally had a chance to go through everything and pick out some stuff! There were some amazing pieces in there, and some of it was like a trip back in time! I didn't want to take too much, but there were some tough decisions, to be sure! If you know me, you know I'm partial to skeletons, dwarves, and aberrations! Oh, and the Stone Giants made my entire life. I really regretted not getting Lost Valley just because of missing out on these! Here's a photo of what I took:

I was going to say what I added, but I noticed that most people's additions are redacted. If anyone is interested, let me know and Ill share. I did fill out the notebook, though, and the box is all ready to be sent on its way tomorrow!

20190516_230113.jpg

• Like 22

@HolkDiggity good haul!

We don't tell what we added in this thread to prevent spoiling the surprise for the next in line.

If I see someone picking someone I added, I might say I put it in afterwards.

This keeps the suspense going.

I like the surprise of receiving a box without knowing which minis it will contain.

• Like 11

Nice selection, @HolkDiggity!   

I agree those giants are a great score, courtesy of the box starter, @Guindyloo.   Glad they found a good home. 

The only thing of mine you took is the signpost.  That’s from last year’s Mantic Terrain Crate Kickstarter.  

• Like 10

I ended up not taking a lot. Though getting everything back in the box was an adventure!

0FBB9E47-1243-43C6-92AC-0ADA7920AB19.jpeg

• Like 22

6 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

Nice selection, @HolkDiggity!   

I agree those giants are a great score, courtesy of the box starter, @Guindyloo.   Glad they found a good home. 

The only thing of mine you took is the signpost.  That’s from last year’s Mantic Terrain Crate Kickstarter.  

That signpost is going into my ReaperCon diorama! There were some other cool things in that Terrain Crate bag, but I didn't have any immediate use for them, so I let them go on to someone who may!

• Like 9

12 hours ago, HolkDiggity said:

Oh, and the Stone Giants made my entire life. I really regretted not getting Lost Valley just because of missing out on these!

That's a nice twist of fate that you were assigned to my box then! I'm glad I went back and looked through a couple of the expansions to put things in the box. They're cool models, but not my thing painting-wise. Glad to see them go to someone so happy to receive them.

• Like 11

21 minutes ago, Lidless Eye said:

There's always a ton of Ametrine Earthlyte in the Goodwill box for some reason.

She was December 2017's freebie? People probably got multiples (I know I personally have 2 from that year's Christmas order)

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Lidless Eye said:

There's always a ton of Ametrine Earthlyte in the Goodwill box for some reason.

Wasn't she released in October?  Lots of purchasing in October. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SGHawkins09 said:

Box has been sent off and I finally remember to take a shot of what I grabbed.

874BC57C-95BE-488D-B725-CCDCCC551DB0.thumb.jpeg.27d3b621cbd2494269c0c193df4ef870.jpeg

I almost grabbed the whole set of those <redacted> but I already have two sets from my KS:) And I almost took that second owlbear, but I left the other in the box, glad to see it made it to a new home. Happy to see everything made it safe to you.

4 minutes ago, Clearman said:

Wasn't she released in October?  Lots of purchasing in October. 

Nope, December, I just checked my old orders and it was my freebie from all my Christmas stuff:)

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Nope, December, I just checked my old orders and it was my freebie from all my Christmas stuff:)

Yeah, I should have checked the SKU before I replied. 

• Like 3