Sign in to follow this  
Maglok

Wrath of the Righteous painting log

So! This is my attempt at getting some fire lit under my behind and get to painting. I love miniature painting, been doing it... 15 years? Probably more if I count my Warhammer history. At some point I went from 'painting to game' to 'game to paint'. :) I have a lot of miniatures and a lot ambition. Unfortunately I also have a job that I love and I spend a lot of time with. When I do not though... I like to paint. I also like to GM, in the last years I have finished Serpent's Skull (Paizo AP), well at the time of writing the final session has been planned. I am also running Skull & Shackles, another Paizo AP. I have strongly modified book 6, which is where my PCs are at the moment. So that one is ending soon as well. Then I plan to take a break, maybe a year. Let some of the players run one-shots, a module, etc. Recharge the juices. :)

Something that has been on my mind since it came out though was me wanting to run Wrath of the Righteous, a Paizo AP about a demon invasion/liberation thing. It is their mythic AP, basically a right good excuse to have the most epic demons, spellcasters, landscapes, etc. And of course, me being me, that gets in my head and I want to run it... Sure. But I want to run it fully painted and pretty. Not likely to happen, but I can try. I've been half-sassed trying to get stuff painted for... a while now. Ok years. I want to catalog the 'journey' a bit more. So I shall start a painting log specifically about the AP.

So: Spoilers for the 'Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Path' for Pathfinder from here on in. Complete spoilery expected!

Alright then. I have already finished painting a bunch of minis for the campaign. I shall get to re-posting those pictures sometime soon. I wanna get my hands dirty a bit again first. So I am focussing on the models Reaper Miniatures made specifically for WotR. Right now I have Xanthir Vang, a worm that walks from book 3, and Aravashnial, an NPC from book 1 onward on my table. I am also painting another Reaper miniature as Horgus Gwerm, a wealthy merchant. The miniature is actually a, I think, limited miniature specifically for Pathfinder Society. A friend in PFS gave it to me, cause he knew I love minis. It is called Grandmaster Torch, and was a 2010 Paizocon exclusive. :)

Instead of creating a thousand-and-one WIPs I am going to just throw it all in here. :)

So to get things started. The three characters on my desk atm!

Horgus Gwerm (rich merchant)

40542137233_d5e131a8a7_n.jpg    Horgus-full.jpg?1428027897

Not available in the Reaper store :(

Aravashnial (an elf caster)

33631427068_dcd0658843_n.jpg    aravashnial.png

Available here: Aravashniel, Elf Wizard

Xanthir Vang (Worm-that-walks)

40542137183_b922d2412a_n.jpg    6d7028502643584c6d67927f968fe040.jpg

Available here: Xanthir Vang

• Like 9

Alright some progress on Xanthir Vang. I just love the mini. It is so full of detail and Derek Schubert's paintjob is quite inspiring.

This is where I am at. You can find Derek's paintjob of Xanthir Vang online.

40551232653_dfcd9e50f8.jpg

And here are some maggots that are in book 1 near the start. (Not that epic) I finished these a while ago.

43992274701_30d28f93ec.jpg    29054595457_a9247180e1.jpg

(I painted six of em)

I think they are from Heresy MIniatures.

• Like 13

On 4/1/2019 at 9:47 PM, Maglok said:

Alright some progress on Xanthir Vang. I just love the mini. It is so full of detail and Derek Schubert's paintjob is quite inspiring.

This is where I am at. You can find Derek's paintjob of Xanthir Vang online.

And here are some maggots that are in book 1 near the start. (Not that epic) I finished these a while ago.

(I painted six of em)

I think they are from Heresy MIniatures.

They are from Heresy, listed as Giant Slugs.

Great job on those!

Giant Slugs (pack of 3) - (RESIN) - Click Image to Close

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Glitterwolf: Ah yup that's them. :)

Worked some on Aravashnial. Not much done, mostly only the face, though not the hair.

47545099571_25611eeeb1_z.jpg

And some more of the finished ones. Here is 2 of the tiefling mooks.

37957170542_1a621e0f55.jpg

• Like 13

Thanks Wof! :)

So... status update!

Sometimes when I am not painting I like to... remove moldlines and put stuff together ready for painting. That's what I've been doing.

I put together Baphomet, a demon lord! I am using the Bones Minotaur Lord for him.

77376_w_1.jpg

A few notes about this model. It is extremely bad broccoli. That said... the staff is wobbly. I am going to need to do something to the base so I can glue it in a straight position. There are also quite a few moldlines and I had to fill the gaps of the few seperate pieces. That said, it is still bad broccoli.

Now I am going for a paint scheme of the Paizo version, which is what appears in the AP.

09088f2ffe32533d2d7fb6fed1df48e3.jpg

Note the pale skin and the wings. I do not have wings on my minotaur lord... but I might mod those in. I also started painting the skin, but I do not like where it was heading. It was pretty much grey. I think I am going to airbrush the skin from a brown up to a paler brown.

Then I also worked on a frog demon/hezrou. Using the Bones Reaper miniature for the first one (there will be 5 total eventually). I want to do some airbrushing on it, which prompted me to clean my airbrush... takes a while. Anyhow at the moment my airbrush is not working very well. Trying to figure out what is wrong with it. It is behaving like a spraycan.

411NcKGckUL._SX425_.jpg

Skipping posting another 2 finished-pile tieflings, because Flickr is being... down?

• Like 9

Whooo, someone else is doing a minotaur Demon Lord!  Always fun to see what others do with him ^_^

Have you tried doing the heat/cold trick to coax the staff into being more in the shape you want? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Whooo, someone else is doing a minotaur Demon Lord!  Always fun to see what others do with him ^_^

Have you tried doing the heat/cold trick to coax the staff into being more in the shape you want? 

I have but it just doesn't straighten out very well. You painted one? Pictures :)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Maglok said:

I have but it just doesn't straighten out very well. You painted one? Pictures :)

He's still very much so a work in progress, having just blocked out his skin/fur so far (with the rest coated in liner, brown I think), but my most recent post on him is here... 

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79413-furiously-fluffy-howling-hounds-whitewulfe-paints-gnolls-minotaurs-and-more-probably-pic-intensive/&do=findComment&comment=1811888

Hopefully I copied the link correctly ^_^;;;;

Edit: I've had pretty much the same problem with the staff.  When I eventually get a second one of him (to convert to an Anubian Jackal) I'm probably going to replace it with brass rod and just sculpt details back in, since I'll be changing a few things up anyways. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 2

@WhiteWulfe: Very nice indeed! :D Guess what? About the same base colour... which I am going to go over again later though.

See?

46896172644_c655a04728.jpg

So! Updates. Painted a bunch of the frog demon. He looks a bit more colorful then he is here, but I also do not mind him looking a bit colorful. :) Also worked on his base, extended the original base to be bigger.

46896172054_834854d8df.jpg    33743098058_d61596369e.jpg

Obviously a lot more work to do on him.

And here is another 2-tieflings-from-the-pile.

37957171852_6d50ed5173.jpg

• Like 10

So do I wolf. So do I. :) I need 4 of those demon-like creatures in the end!

So, more progress on the aforementioned 'frog'.

47571905802_27950ec9bf_n.jpg    40658295053_b83b254d25_n.jpg    46709165505_445207429d_n.jpg

Slightly overlit, apologies. So I worked on the base and did some highlighting of specific veins. Also worked in some darker green here and there and started on shading all the spikes. Still a bunch to go, but having a blast with this guy so far.

Oh and more tieflings!

37957170772_8a9702e039_n.jpg

Edited by Maglok
  • Like 10

@Glitterwolf Oohh uhhmm.. Some sort of ruin bases, I cannot recall it has been over a year ... or two three? Since I got those. Sorry. :(

I did finish the frog demon/Hezrou, tada!

32695490897_97189817d7.jpg    32695491127_4fb87950c4.jpg

Note that there is slime on the base that doesn't show up very well in the picture. In the end I thought this was just fine for this guy. Enjoyed painting him more then I thought I would. :)

I'll throw him into show-off in a bit.

And 2 more tieflings from the pile!

37957171612_82f51fe67d.jpg

• Like 12