Corsair

Getting to Know You for April 2019

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

April 2, 2019

What one role defined an Actor or Actress for you?

William Shatner - Cpt. James T. Kirk

Patrick Stewart - Cpt. Jean Luc Picard

Tom Cruise - Lestat

• Like 10

Robert Englund = Freddy Kreuger

Sigourney Weaver = Ellen Ripley

Bruce Campbell = Ash Williams 

I'm certain there's lots of other actors/roles I could think of, but this just seems to be where my mind is going this morning. 

• Like 10

Okay, this one is probably backwards for most people, but; Lavar Burton, the reading rainbow guy. When my tiny self realized that he was LaForge on ST:TNG too, my mind was blown. You can be more than one person?! Holy moly! 

He was always the guy telling me to not take his word for it though. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

April 2, 2019

Huh... If the role defined the actor, in the sense of "I couldn't imagine this actor in any other role," I don't know. Not a great actor, in that case.

So, I guess these are some of my favorite actors, in the first role of theirs that springs to mind. Like, if I said, "I love Jodie Foster," and someone said, "ok, what was she in?"

Jodie Foster: Clarice Starling, "Silence of the Lambs"

Saorise Ronan: Susie Salmon, "The Lovely Bones" (I guess I'd say "Ladybird" if I really wanted to tell someone who she is, but I was blown away by her work in Bones)

Frances McDormand: Marge Gunderson, "Fargo"

Michelle Yeoh: Yu Shu Lien, "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"

Clint Eastwood: Frankie Dunn, "Million Dollar Baby" (I'll watch anything he's in, but MDB is definitely what brought him out of "olden times actor" status)

Orson Welles: Harry Lime, "The Third Man" (duh.)

There are others that have already been mentioned (although I like Harrison Ford more for Indy than Han), but that's a good list. 

• Like 7

On 3/31/2019 at 10:48 PM, Corsair said:

Welcome to April!

April 1 [April Fool's Day]

What was the silliest comment you have ever heard?

One day late bonus round:

Not quite a quote, but when I was but a lad of 17-18, I spent quite a bit of time volunteering at our local aquarium, which, as it happened, included one of those touch exhibits full of sea urchins, horseshoe crabs, etc. During that time, I lost count of the number of times a parent would look at me, holding a horseshoe crab, in my bare hands, presenting it to their 7-10 year old spawn to examine and ask, completely seriously, "Is it dangerous?", or "Does it bite/sting/whatever?"

I had to bite my tongue every time. The temptation to respond with something like "Yes, it carries a deadly paralytic venom, but I've developed an immunity", or something like that was almost overwhelming.

• Haha 15

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

April 2, 2019

Edward Norton in Primal Fear.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

April 2, 2019

My answers are deeply influenced by childhood nostalgia, but I can't dissociate these actors from their characters.

• Christopher Reeve *is* Superman
  • Lynda Carter *is* Wonder Woman
  • Adam West *is* Bruce Wayne (not Batman, just Bruce)
  • Robert Downey Jr *is* Tony Stark (but not Iron Man, nor Sherlock Holmes)
  • Sylvester Stallone *is* Rocky Balboa (but not Rambo)
  • Arnold Schwarzenegger *is* Conan the Barbarian (But not the Terminator. And I know he's very different than the Robert E. Howard novels' Conan, but he was my first)
  • Bob Denver *is* Gilligan (I never saw The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis , so I'm not familiar with his Maynard G. Krebs character)
  • Henry Winkler *is* The Fonz (Aaay!)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

The LOTR movies were so well cast and done that as movies they forever set that cast in their roles to me.  I can't see any of the primary cast in other things without first thinking, "Hmm, I didn't know Gandalf could manipulate metal; why is he trying to stop Captain Picard?"  or "Look, Aragorn is ridding a horse in across the desert; where'd he get the gun?"  etc...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

The LOTR movies were so well cast and done that as movies they forever set that cast in their roles to me.  I can't see any of the primary cast in other things without first thinking, "Hmm, I didn't know Gandalf could manipulate metal; why is he trying to stop Captain Picard?"  or "Look, Aragorn is ridding a horse in across the desert; where'd he get the gun?"  etc...

Yes!!! That's exactly how I feel about that cast, especially after watching it so many times. Especially Aragorn, since I was in love with him when I read the books. The movies encouraged that. :lol: Viggo is Aragorn. Seems like he thought so too, there's so much interesting background stuff for those movies!

• Like 7

On 3/31/2019 at 9:48 PM, Corsair said:

Welcome to April!

April 1 [April Fool's Day]

What was the silliest comment you have ever heard?

Bit late, but I had to share this:

Me, at a Subway: Can I get Swiss cheese, please?

Subway Guy: Sorry, we don't have any Swiss. How about Provolone instead? They're both Italian, so should be exactly the same.

Me: :blink:

If it weren't for the fact that they'd already prepared my wife's sandwich, I'd have walked out the door then and there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, Weird-O said:

Bit late, but I had to share this:

Me, at a Subway: Can I get Swiss cheese, please?

Subway Guy: Sorry, we don't have any Swiss. How about Provolone instead? They're both Italian, so should be exactly the same.

Me: :blink:

If it weren't for the fact that they'd already prepared my wife's sandwich, I'd have walked out the door then and there.

From the land where Kraft Singles and Velveeta are commonly referred to as real cheese (or cheeze?), I'd say that not understanding the difference between Switzerland and Italy is not that far fetched.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Corsair said:

April 2, 2019

For the most part, David Tennant as the Tenth Doctor. Though that changed for me when I saw him play Kilgrave in Jessica Jones; he was just plain creepy, and it was a huge contrast to his previous role.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

For the most part, David Tennant as the Tenth Doctor. Though that changed for me when I saw him play Kilgrave in Jessica Jones; he was just plain creepy, and it was a huge contrast to his previous role.

Really looking forward to seeing Mr Tennant in Good Omens. 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Corsair said:

April 2, 2019

Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes. That man is a chameleon, but he plays such a lovable sociopath :poke:

17 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Kyle Urban, Cupid in Xena, Warrior Princess. Yes, I know he's been in a ton of stuff, and has incredible range (like, holy moly, he makes a fantastic Judge Dredd!), but he will always be Cupid to me :wub:

I barely remember Xena, for some reason I never watched it :mellow: I do love Mr Urban though...

***Google's "Karl Urban, Cupid"***

*falls over*

• Like 3
  • Haha 2