Corsair

Getting to Know You for April 2019

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for April 20, 2019

Football [US Style] or Futbol [Soccer]?

Neither.

I never understood the taste for the large commercial interrupted by some minor action from people in foam armor.

As for Soccer, I only watch the National Team during European or World Championships.

The local clubs and leagues?

I actually hate the existence due to the Hooligans.

My first memories of Soccer where me as a young boy watching the bigger boys walk by carrying chains, bricks and sticks to "watch" the match.

People literally kill over this idiocy.

It seems nobody understands you need both teams to play a game.

Pukincorn.jpg

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

On 4/18/2019 at 10:39 PM, Corsair said:

Question for April 19, 2019

Do you still use a film camera?

No, not in a while. I still have one, though.

17 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Let he who never wore parachute pants throw the first stone.

>Throws stone<

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

9 hours ago, Loim said:

Hockey.

That ^^^^ was gonna be my answer, too.

I used to enjoy playing both. I don't particularly enjoy watching either one.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

I don't watch or care for either. An in depth answer would involve flaming.

I'm a MLB & NBA type of Guy.

• Like 5

Anecdotes will perhaps be more interesting:

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

Football [US Style] or Fútbol [Soccer]?

I have been both asked and compelled** to participate in versions of both. 

I have watched NFL, NCAA, and HS versions of fútbol americano. I have watched some FIFA [?] fútbol, but not enough to recognize leagues/teams/tournaments. 

**I was never compelled to play the kind with Helmets-body Armor, but I was begged to do so in HS. 

Best Soccer watching moment: US women’s team playing a Japanese women’s team, a US player kicks the ball hard from approximately mid-field (noticing Japan’s goalie was hopelessly out-of-position) and the ball winds up in the goal untouched. The only dissapointment was that a shot like that was only worth 1 point and not 4 or 5.

Worst/saddest Soccer (fútbol) moment: Year 2 or 3 of Elementary School. I am 7 or 8 years Old. It was early February. It was recess, it was time to teach the children Soccer! They need exercise! So there we are, outdoors, in February, overcast grey sky, wind at ground level about 15 knots, air temp just above freezing, just. The grass on the pitch is brown and dead, the clay soil is as hard as rock, and the four corners of the pitch are marked by rocks, there are no goal nets, just more rocks marking the edges of the goal area. One sad barely inflated ball (which might have been a volleyball dragooned into service) and one teacher/referee complete with whistle. Gameplay consisted of all the boys*** charging the ball from every angle and enthusiastically kicking at it from every angle. They mostly kicked each other in the shins but the ball got hit enough times that it bounced about randomly.  After getting kicked in the shins a few times, I gave up and just shadowed the kickfest scrum. Exactly once the ball escaped and bounced my way. I kicked it hard in the general direction of the opposing goal before the crowd could descend on me to kick me from all sides. Mostly, I remember trudging and standing about, shivering with my hands in my jacket pockets, waiting for the off chance to kick the ball and watching my breath fog as I exhaled. 

That teacher had attempted to explain staying in lanes, proper kicking, passing, moving the ball with small kicks, and the rest of the Rules. Most of it was lost on 7-8 year olds. The only two points that got through were: kick the ball, call it Soccer. (Sorry, to all the fútbol fans: “Soccer” was the word.) ***I have no idea how the girls escaped this torture session,  probably the staff thought standing in a big ragged circle and kicking everyone else’s shins was no place for little girls. They usually didn’t let them play Dodgeball either... :upside: ...at least not with Boys. 

Lastly, the Society for the Propagation of Ünnecessary Ümlauts (SPÜÜ) is greatly disappointed to learn that much of the world believes futbol should be spelled “fútbol” rather than “fütbol”. This matter may need to be brought before the advisory council at the next executive meeting. 

Edited by TGP
Forgot to mention we were allowed our winter jackets. Pretty sure Soccer is not meant to be played wearing jackets. Alas.
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, TGP said:

Best Soccer watching moment: US women’s team playing a Japanese women’s team, a US player kicks the ball hard from approximately mid-field (noticing Japan’s goalie was hopelessly out-of-position) and the ball winds up in the goal untouched. The only dissapointment was that a shot like that was only worth 1 point and not 4 or 5

It is on YouTube:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YN596P7xqJw

(...I should have known; what isn’t on YouTube?...)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

Of the two? Futbol. [Association Football]

I don't watch particularly often though. Now that spring is upon us baseball is more my professional sportsball of choice.

• Like 6

No interest in either, but if it's something like a watch party at the playoffs I can fake it and go socialize and eat food. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

Yes please.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Corsair said:

I like watching football.

I have played it badly.

I like nothing about soccer.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Corsair said:

Soccer.

Football is the single most boring sport to watch ever.

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

No interest in either, but if it's something like a watch party at the playoffs I can fake it and go socialize and eat food. 

I can get behind that. 

I played soccer when i was younger, but it isn't nearly as fun to watch.

I do enjoy watching a good hockey game, though.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Corsair said:

Baseball.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, TGP said:

They usually didn’t let them play Dodgeball either... :upside: ...at least not with Boys. 

I wish my PE teachers had done this, at least in middle school <_< for some reason the boys thought it was great fun to slam the (now developing) girls in the chest during dodgeball. It was "above the belt" so it was just fine <_<

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

9 hours ago, redambrosia said:
12 hours ago, TGP said:

They usually didn’t let them play Dodgeball either... :upside: ...at least not with Boys. 

I wish my PE teachers had done this, at least in middle school <_< for some reason the boys thought it was great fun to slam the (now developing) girls in the chest during dodgeball. It was "above the belt" so it was just fine <_<

Maybe I just went to a rough school

“...the boys thought it was great fun to slam...”  

At my school the thought stopped at the word Slam!  Or pummeling, or pounding, or clobbering. That was what Dodgeball was about. An excuse for pummeling, to see who could take the hardest hit, or throw hardest. That’s not what the teachers taught by any means, the boys just knew all this by instinct. 

Long before D&D was a thing they understood the concept of hit points; even though the phrase “hit points” had yet to be coined. 

Also, those local rules had none of this below the belt nonsense, everything from the ankles up was a fair hit. (But I think Shoes didn’t count...) Also, a ball held in the hands could be used as a shield to deflect an incoming ball, hitting that ball didn’t count. And yes, there were multiple balls in play. There probably would have been six or seven in play except that some of the equipment would be assigned to the playing of “four square”, (a more peaceable game mostly played by the girls) and that limited the total number available. 

Maybe it was a rough school. :unsure:

• Like 3

Question for April 21, 2019

Who is your favorite Doctor and companion?

• Like 3