Corsair

Getting to Know You for April 2019

31 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Question for April 21, 2019

Who is your favorite Doctor and companion?

I started watching when it was David Tennant so I like him best and I liked Martha. I've only watched a little bit of other doctors older and newer. Just drifted away from watching it regularly with Matt Smith and Amy Pond. 

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, TGP said:

Maybe I just went to a rough school

“...the boys thought it was great fun to slam...”  

At my school the thought stopped at the word Slam!  Or pummeling, or pounding, or clobbering. That was what Dodgeball was about. An excuse for pummeling, to see who could take the hardest hit, or throw hardest. That’s not what the teachers taught by any means, the boys just knew all this by instinct. 

Long before D&D was a thing they understood the concept of hit points; even though the phrase “hit points” had yet to be coined. 

Also, those local rules had none of this below the belt nonsense, everything from the ankles up was a fair hit. (But I think Shoes didn’t count...) Also, a ball held in the hands could be used as a shield to deflect an incoming ball, hitting that ball didn’t count. And yes, there were multiple balls in play. There probably would have been six or seven in play except that some of the equipment would be assigned to the playing of “four square”, (a more peaceable game mostly played by the girls) and that limited the total number available. 

Maybe it was a rough school. :unsure:

No, see, the boys would try to hit the girls in the chest because they thought us being in pain was funny. But if they happened to get hit in the crotch it was the end of the damn world. And the teachers backed them up. 

School activities shouldn't give you bruises. 

Four square at my schools was a cutthroat game where only the most ruthless made it more than one round. There was nothing peaceful about it. 

I was actually pretty good at four square for a while.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

No, see, the boys would try to hit the girls in the chest because they thought us being in pain was funny. But if they happened to get hit in the crotch it was the end of the damn world. And the teachers backed them up. 

Four square at my schools was a cutthroat game where only the most ruthless made it more than one round. There was nothing peaceful about it. 

l didn't know about foursquare until Highschool, but the guys tended to take it pretty seriously. l think they Ended up BOUNCING the ball up onto the roof of our class building at least once a month. l think WE might have been banned from playing four square for a month at one point.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

I'm one of the few who's not really interested in Dr. Who.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

My favourite is the Doctor. There has ever been only one, he (or she) just happens to have different bodies.

Best companion is the TARDIS.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

My favorites are seen here:

3e6fb54b-4b1a-4264-abbc-b2eea2b9e969_screenshot.jpg

Edited by Weird-O
  • Like 2
  • Haha 10
  • Confused 2

1. Doc Holliday

2. Alan Bourdillion Trehearne

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

I started with Pertwee and Liz Shaw and Jo Grant so I will always have a fondness for them.  But the Tom Baker and Sarah Jane years are just classic, unrivaled storytelling episodes IMO.   I think Baker really inhabited the role,  while the newest handful of actors just feel like.... actors to me. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

Tennant.... And Rose.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

No, see, the boys would try to hit the girls in the chest because they thought us being in pain was funny.

Oh I got it. 12 year olds, ...puberty.  <_<

This next did happen on occasion:

But if they happened to get hit in the crotch it was the end of the damn world. And the teachers backed them up.

The wolves I was raised with thought ^ this was funny also, and the teachers would sympathetically[?] advise: catch the ball next time, take a break, suck it up, walk it off... 

My Dodgeball days were amongst an average of eight year olds. The school in question only went up to grade 5, so a maximum of 11 year olds. And, normally they didn’t mix the years too much at recess. 

At least not severe ones. Dodgeball was reasonably safe below a certain arm strength/throwing speed. 

Interesting. I think I played it once. 

I doubt that I was any good at all. 

4 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

l didn't know about foursquare until Highschool, but the guys tended to take it pretty seriously.

That’s the thing. Games involving moving objects have an Age Range. Once the kids  involved get too strong-fast-powerful it is time to move on to other games. 

I think they Ended up BOUNCING the ball up onto the roof of our class building at least once a month.

Edit: Did they adjust the size of the squares or do any other mods to account for older, stronger players? 

l think WE might have been banned from playing four square for a month at one point.

Sensible. Of the staff. (See above: “too strong-fast-powerful”)

Edited by TGP
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

I have not seen them all. Rose? Had to lookup Rose...

Tom Baker (4th? Dr.)

Jenna Coleman (Clara)

...and a special mention to: K-9

K9-8.JPG

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

Tom Baker

image.png.1d056bae346e0e8a82d4b1d376b154c1.png

K-9

image.png.2372fa3f4d48d13c1eef4b610f0338b6.png

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

Tom Baker and Leela:

1917536635_DoctorWhoLeela.jpg.47c36260c057c1f97029e618cd90ec24.jpg

I think I'm going to have to lie down for a bit...

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

I am assuming you mean Dr. Who. I have never seen an episode of the series; SO I don't have an opinion.

Dr Frankenstein (Gene Wilder) with Igor (Marty Feldman) or Inga (Teri Garr) would be my favorites if you didn't mean that Who person.

• Like 8