Corsair

Getting to Know You for April 2019

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for April 23, 2019

Do you carry a pocket knife?

no.

at work I have a tool box full of more useful blades, same at home. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

My office is in a government building. So no, that's not allowed. But I'm also field personnel and a multi tool with a little knife on it is part of the gear my employer buys me. So also yes, that's part of my required equipment. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

Nope, not anymore. Did when I worked retail, mostly just to break down boxes. 

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Corsair said:

Always, since I was 10, unless I am flying somewhere or going somewhere it is not allowed.

I just lost the one I had handmade for me by a Canadian smith.  I think it is somewhere on my parent's farm. :down:

• Like 3
  • Sad 11

14 hours ago, Corsair said:

Security at work frowns on it, so no. I do carry one when I go hiking though.

• Like 6

Once when I was working in an office, I was up on a stepladder to take down a banner. When I asked my supervisor for something to cut zipties, I found a knife being pressed into my hand. Funny thing is, I figured that it wasn't the largest nor the sharpest knife he had on his person at the time (this was the kind of guy that forged his own knives as a hobby, and he loved his sharp and pointy babies).

• Like 10

I've been carrying a pocket knife most of my life, certainly every day of my adult life. It's just part of getting dressed. On the exceptionally rare occasion that I don't have my knife with me I always miss it all day. 

Most days I carry my "work" knife, which is a beat up old Gerber that has seen duty as just about every tool including its intended purposes. When I'm going out, or dressing up I carry one of my good knives.

Also funnily enough I almost always had one on me in High School too. All of us did. With the exception of one time that I got in trouble and it was confiscated for a brief time, it was never an issue, though technically against school policy. Now you go to jail for that. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 3

18 minutes ago, Loim said:

I've been carrying a pocket knife most of my life, certainly every day of my adult life. It's just part of getting dressed. On the exceptionally rare occasion that I don't have my knife with me I always miss it all day. 

Most days I carry my "work" knife, which is a beat up old Gerber that has seen duty as just about every tool including its intended purposes. When I'm going out, or dressing up I carry one of my good knives.

Also funnily enough I almost always had one on me in High School too. All of us did. With the exception of one time that I got in trouble and it was confiscated for a brief time, it was never an issue, though technically against school policy. Now you go to jail for that. 

Heh, yeah, when I was in school, everyone had a knife on them.  We never even considered using them each other; that just wasn't an option.  Most boys in my rural town got our first pocket knives at 10, BB guns at 11, bow at 12, and 22 rifle at 15.  Heck, in the Fall, most of the cars in the school parking lot likely have a rifle or two in them as the guys typically went hunting right after school.  It simply wasn't a problem.  

That said, bullying was a lot more pervasive and culturally systemic back then than what we have now days.  My boys didn't have to put up with nearly as much physical abuse as I did, and when they did the school actually did something about it instead of just laughing it off as "Boys will be boys" or "Grow a pair", both things I had adults tell me as a kid.  Now the bullying seems to be far more mental, organized shunning being very pervasive in the schools now.

• Like 10

17 hours ago, Corsair said:

Of course.

Edited to add: going back and reading some replies, it's odd that a pocket knife is frowned-upon-to-illegal and yet I can easily put my hands on far more effective weapons in just about any situation. The world has become insane.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

17 hours ago, Corsair said:

Yes.

My grandfather had a stockman knife that he always carried which I remember him using when we went fishing when I was a child.

After he passed his knife became mine and I always kept it with me except when going on a flight.

Recently I realized that I had now been carrying it longer than he had. So I retired it for fear of losing or breaking it.

Bought myself a new Buck stockman which I now carry.

When I was cycling I’d always carry my Buckman Swiss army style utility knife.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

instead of just laughing it off as "Boys will be boys" or "Grow a pair", both things I had adults tell me as a kid. 

My school did that about bullying....  Until more and more of the bullies were magically appearing in the nurse's office with some pretty sizeable bruizes, in areas that were rather visible...  *whistles innocently*

Nowadays sadly beating the tar out of the bullies gets YOU suspended, even if they start it and wouldn't leave you alone *rolls eyes*

I don't condone violence, but if someone is going to get physical with me after they've tried to back me into a corner.... 

Still a pity that so much bullying goes on at schools, and how it mainly switched to mind stuff, which is even more damaging to someone in the long term. 

• Like 5

Question for April 24, 2019

Scooby-doo, Power Rangers or Bugs Bunny?

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Foghorn Leghorn

Marvin the Martian

Bugs...

Scooby

Power what?

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

25 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Scooby Doo. Don't know why exactly but I've liked many of the versions of that show all my life. Looney Toons is good too. I had a good laugh the first time I saw violence warnings on the cartoons I grew up with. Power Rangers.. Nah, watched it a few times when I was in college and bored but it never did anything for me.

• Like 5