Corsair

Getting to Know You for April 2019

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for April 24, 2019

Scooby-doo, Power Rangers or Bugs Bunny?

Bugs Bunny has been my role model for most of my life. That explains a lot of things about my personality.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

Bugs / Loony Toons. No contest.

I am of the wrong generation for Power Rangers. I guess I am in the right age range for Scooby-doo, but none of the classic Hanna Barbera shows really stuck with me.

• Like 7

Bugs Bunny. Though of all the Looney Toons I liked Wile E. Coyote or Yosemite Sam the best. 

• Like 6

Bugs, too old for powderpuff rangers.  Just saw some of the scooby doo.  Never like Doo Doo.

• Like 5

Why don't you an me head back to my quarters and I'll show you my favorite thing...

Okay okay, my second favorite thing.

• Haha 7
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Corsair said:

No contest whatsoever, Bugs. The animation and voice work coming out of WB in the early era was stunningly good and still my favorite by far.

HB would have a few quality pieces, notably the Chuck Jones era Tom & Jerry...and Chuck was one of the WB greats. HB overall was a lot lazier in the writing, animation and even the VO (though how does one compete with Mel Blanc?). While I like some very (VERY) early Disney, for the most part their style, while at a high quality level, just didn't work for me.

The quality of animation hit a dark age when things started getting farmed to Japan, the GI Joe/Transformers/He-Man era when it became less about gags and more like a poorly-animated soap opera. Solid animation returned when Ren & Stimpy came out, because the dude was a huge Chuck Jones nerd.

edited to add: yes, I've been an art nerd/elitist since I was a toddler.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Corsair said:

Of the three?  Bugs Bunny.

What's my favorite non-Japanese cartoon TV series?  Animaniacs, followed closely by Reboot.

What's my favorite Japanese cartoon TV series?  Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok, but that may only be because I haven't watched the Oh! My Goddess TV series yet.  (For more recent shows, Little Witch Academia and The Ancient Magus' Bride both rank highly.)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, CashWiley said:

Solid WESTERN animation returned when Ren & Stimpy came out, because the dude was a huge Chuck Jones nerd.

FTFY*.

Although even with the "Western" caveat, I'd argue that The Simpsons and even Tiny Toon Adventures represent earlier, high quality, Western animation. R&S (setting tastes aside) improved on them both in many ways, but that doesn't mean they should be vilified or forgotten.

*And sure, Akira is feature length. But if you want series, look at what Toei was up to at the time, and Studio Gainax was soon to hit its stride, too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

For all the good that Disney has done they have much to answer for.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Corsair said:

This will probably get me quite some hate, but Power Rangers is the only one I can even tolerate. Bugs always made me angry (incredibly annoying voice, catch phrases, etc), Scooby doo is terrible at best... 

Power Rangers at least doesn't have annoying voices.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Corsair said:

Bugs>Scooby>>>>>>Power Rangers.  Actually I've never even finished an episode of Power Rangers.

• Like 6

I can't say that I've ever seen an episode of Power Rangers. But since I watched George of the Jungle when I was a kid, I don't think I'm quite hypocritical enough to denigrate anyone else's choice of children's entertainment.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I can't say that I've ever seen an episode of Power Rangers. But since I watched George of the Jungle when I was a kid, I don't think I'm quite hypocritical enough to denigrate anyone else's choice of children's entertainment.

There's a reason I framed my interaction with Power Rangers in terms of my own generational placement, rather than its relative merits.

The animation of my childhood has much to answer for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6