Corsair

Getting to Know You for April 2019

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

Can you get your car into your garage?

both cars, but its a tight fit between trash cans, recycling bin, extra wood, a ladder, and bicycles. 

My wife (who always leaves earlier) parks so close to a wall of stuff that you can't open her passenger door. Usually it's not a problem. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

George was Great! So was Tom Slick and Super Chicken!

Question for April 25, 2019

Oof, no.  My garage is filled with my woodshop.

• Like 6

One of the selling points for this house was the garage. Big enough for two cars plus a good sized work bench. Right now, we own one car and the rest of the garage is dedicated to stuff that will live in the basement once we finish converting the basement to game space. At that point, we will own one car and a variety of woodworking equipment. I really want a lathe, among other things.

• Like 7

No.. but only because the wife's car is usually in there.. plus, the truck would be a very tight fit!  I know it'd fit because I wedged it in one day, but it's easier just to put it on the side of the driveway and let her have inside parking.  The consolation for me is that my motorcycle shares a bit of space on the side.. the other 'car's worth' of the 2-car garage is junk and yard stuff..

• Like 5

We don't have a garage.

We believe the house was originally built with a garage but a previous owner converted it into additional space for the house instead.  I'm not complaining.  We're using part of that space for our library and game storage.  It also would have been a narrow garage so we couldn't both keep the car in it and store other things.  If it had still been a garage when we looked at this house, we probably wouldn't have wanted it.

The ex-garage space is on slanted ground and is slightly lower than the rest of the house.  One of my "someday" house renovations is to put in a subfloor (or pour in a bunch of cement) in our sitting room/library so that floor is level.  That has the added bonus of making the space suitable for painting and gaming.

• Like 5

In answer to my own Question, we used to be able to get both of our SUVs into our garage [barely] but now with my truck [abpout 1 meter longer] my wife's Santa Fe has it all to itself. Along with work/reloading benches and stuff we are still going through from her Dad's estate.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

It also would have been a narrow garage so we couldn't both keep the car in it and store other things.

I've found this to be fairly normal .. I've seen loads of garages that the only way to put the number of cars advertised in would be for there to be no way to get the driver out.. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Garage? Is that the thing on the end of the house that holds all the stuff that won't fit in the house?::D:

That would be why we have a three-car garage for our two cars. :rolleyes:

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

No garage, no problem. Except when the new people in the building park in my spot on the street.

Yes, but if I gain any more weight I'm not getting out of it.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, eldamir said:

I've found this to be fairly normal .. I've seen loads of garages that the only way to put the number of cars advertised in would be for there to be no way to get the driver out.. 

Funny how the garages that actually have some room to get in and out of the vehicles are called oversized.  I always thought oversized meant TONS of room, but nope, apparently not. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Funny how the garages that actually have some room to get in and out of the vehicles are called oversized.  I always thought oversized meant TONS of room, but nope, apparently not. 

Now I want to look up American Architectural Institutes Association [?] standards for these structures. I know there is an official organization. AIA ?

Gotta wonder if length X width of auto garage bays have been gradually evolving with the American auto industry. 

It occurs to me that a garage meant for a Model T (and built when those were in production) would be inadequate for an F-350 4WD Crewcab Dually (which I am guessing is about the biggest thing Ford makes ...for civilians.)

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I'm very lucky... My garage was built by a guy who owned one car to drive and one to tinker, so there's room for a mechanic to move around, even with another car in there. Which is why I'll be excited when I can finally start building a wood shop... If you can build a car there, you can build a table there.

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, TGP said:

Now I want to look up American Architectural Institutes Association [?] standards for these structures. I know there is an official organization. AIA ?

Gotta wonder if length X width of auto garage bays have been gradually evolving with the American auto industry. 

It occurs to me that a garage meant for a Model T (and built when those were in production) would be inadequate for an F-350 4WD Crewcab Dually (which I am guessing is about the biggest thing Ford makes ...for civilians.)

In the Netherlands we can see a development like that in our commercial parking lots.

A few decades ago I parked my car in the spot between the lines and had room to spare.

These days I need to be careful when opening a door if there is another car parked next to me.

Car evolution went both ways, there are the tiny citycars and there are the bigger SUV's and trucks.

I own a Nissan Qashqai which is a reasonable average car here nowadays, but it's a tad bigger than the average car I used to drive.

And there are bigger cars out there.

I can imagine that parking lots and garages built decades ago are smaller compared to the ones we build today.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 4