Corsair

Getting to Know You for April 2019

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

George was Great! So was Tom Slick and Super Chicken!

Question for April 25, 2019

Can you get your car into your garage?

I could if there wasn't already a car, a fridge, an upright freezer, a table saw, two work benches, two 3d printers, and a bunch of lawn and yard tools in it.  

• Like 7

I have an imaginary garage in that I imagine one day I'll have a garage at the edge of my property. I expect it will be a 2 car garage which will likely hold a single car, some bicycles, and a whole bunch of brewing equipment. 

As of now we just have a concrete pad in that location that can comfortably fit two large vehicles and three if you don't mind moving them around to get in and out of them. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

Of course, that's what it's for :D

More seriously, I park in the garage for the winter, with a weather mat and little soaky tube things, to keep the melting snow from running all over. It's pretty big, so even with my FJ parked in there, I still have room for tools, storage about a cord and a half of wood (real cord, not the face cords the kids today call a cord)

In the summer, I use it as a workshop. It's part of the seasonal way of life I love. It has the traditional roll-up door to the driveway and a large barn slider in the back. So I like opening both and it's like being in a pavilion, great breeze.

edited to add: When I mention winter, see my location :) We get decent snow, so it's nice to hop in the car and just drive to work without brushing off the car, walking through snow, etc. I've been lobbying for some garage stalls to be built (to rent to employees), so I don't have to park in an open lot at work.

Interestingly (to me), my garage was built before the bulk of my home. As best I can tell from looking at how rooflines were connected, there was a garage and small commercial building (now my kitchen and studio, the slab part of the home) built in 1930 that was connected by the rest of the house (with basement) circa 1950 in the post war boom. It was outside the city in the 30s, in pasture/field country, so my thought is that it was some kind of tractor repair shop. There was only one other house on the road (now a street) until that post-war boom, the last of the late 1800's industrial boom.

It's fun working at the library and having access to old maps and city directories :)

• Like 10

And to further my already long garage-based spiel, if I can ever manage it financially, I'd like to build a large barn on the empty lot next to mine (which I own). Two (real) stall garage downstairs, with a kitchenette and half bath (kind of a pool house for the pool I don't have) and a general workshop. Upstairs, full bath and studio space (art and music).

Then my fiancee can basically have my house :D 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CashWiley said:

And to further my already long garage-based spiel, if I can ever manage it financially, I'd like to build a large barn on the empty lot next to mine (which I own). Two (real) stall garage downstairs, with a kitchenette and half bath (kind of a pool house for the pool I don't have) and a general workshop. Upstairs, full bath and studio space (art and music).

Then my fiancee can basically have my house :D 

interestingly enough, when grandpa decided to build his own house, he built one of these first to live in while he built the house.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Corsair said:

During Winter, yes.  Right now, no.  With the snow finally gone my garage is full of recently-filled yard waste bags and the packaging from our new dining room table.  Once those are gone, one of the cars will go back in, the other will have to sit out and suffer as the space will be taken up by the bikes and other Summer necessities.  

• Like 4

That implies I have a garage. Or a car. Since I have neither, I believe my answer should be "fish".

• Haha 9

Yes. Even now my car is sitting in its designated covered parking spot.

It was a little trickier in the narrow garage at my old place, but still workable. (Passenger had to be kicked out before I backed in, otherwise, all good.)

• Like 5

7 hours ago, eldamir said:

I've found this to be fairly normal .. I've seen loads of garages that the only way to put the number of cars advertised in would be for there to be no way to get the driver out.. 

Yup, that’s our garage. We’ve got two cars in there, but only three of the four sides can be accessed; on one car the passengers must dismount before the car is pulled in, or else they are climbing out the other side. 

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

Yup, that’s our garage. We’ve got two cars in there, but only three of the four sides can be accessed; on one car the passengers must dismount before the car is pulled in, or else they are climbing out the other side. 

Ours was built decades ago when cars were hugely wide and long, so there is plenty of space for two cars, plus about 5' for general storage. In fact, if we pull the Toyota up to the wall I am pretty sure my little Mazda will fit behind it, letting us get 3 cars in there. :) 

• Like 7

Fun fact: when I looked at my house originally, I had a tape measure. First thing I did was measure the garage door dimensions.

See, my old Ford Ranger was dying and I really wanted one of those spiffy new FJ Cruisers. But the apartment I was living in had a minuscule garage, and it was in a rough neighborhood so street parking was out.

Luckily, the door measured correctly, bought the house and 6 months later bought the truck, too. Man, I was so broke back then.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Corsair said:

Technically, right now, no.  I have a 4x8 sheet of plywood set up on some saw horses as a temporary work table for some dressers i was building/finishing. 

I do the seasonal thing like CashWiley does - cars in the garage in the winter, spring and summer it becomes my workshop.  Because we get the occasional summer hail storms, we can move things out of the way pretty quickly if needed. 

We're only able to do this because we have a three car garage - it's two wide from the front, but one side is double deep, and there is a single door that opens to the back yard.   That's where my workbench, shop tools, cabinets, our bikes, lawnmowers, snow blower, etc all get stuffed into. I'm hoping to build a shed in the back that I can swap the seasonal stuff in and out of. it sucks tripping over the lawn mower to get to the snowblower and vice versa. 

45 minutes ago, CashWiley said:

Fun fact: when I looked at my house originally, I had a tape measure.

I did this too, only it wasn't the garage door I was measuring for.   We were not only looking for a place I could put a game room that would fit my 10 ft conference table, but had to make sure we could get it into the room.  There was one house we looked at that we liked, but it was going to require removing a wall to do that. We also have a massive four post log bed that we had to measure for.

Ironically, we measured the house for all the furniture we owned, but after we moved in, I went out and bought a new (to me) desk for my office that almost didn't fit. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, CashWiley said:

Fun fact: when I looked at my house originally, I had a tape measure. First thing I did was measure the garage door dimensions.

See, my old Ford Ranger was dying and I really wanted one of those spiffy new FJ Cruisers. But the apartment I was living in had a minuscule garage, and it was in a rough neighborhood so street parking was out.

Luckily, the door measured correctly, bought the house and 6 months later bought the truck, too. Man, I was so broke back then.

My ex drove suburbans for many years when the spawn were smaller .. am still in the habit of house shopping with a tape measure - the garage must be long enough ( and the doors wide enough) for a suburban or it's not under consideration -- after all, even though I don't have a suburban any more, were I to need to work on the truck in inclement weather, pulling into the garage is still a nice option to have.. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have no garage at present. If I get to build the house I want it will be a 40x60 foot steel building with half of it partitioned off into a living space, and the other half as a garage/workshop.

• Like 5