Corsair

Getting to Know You for April 2019

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for April 3, 2019

Have you ever used a fountain pen?

Yes.

It didn't do any thing that wasn't done better by a dip pen, a ball point or a marker. 

• Like 12

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

Yes. I learned to use one in high school because I thought they looked neat. But then I set it down and didn't think about them again until 20+ years later when I picked up a weekend job at a Renaissance Fair selling hand turned pens of all types. Being able to demonstrate how to use them probably helped sell a few. 

• Like 11

Yes, I have, although it has been long years since I last did.

Way back when, it was a sign of the true geek (before they were called geeks) to have ink stained pockets caused by a collection of fountain pens DESPITE being housed in pocket protectors.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

When my family lived in France in 87-88, we went to school and standard writing material included fountain pens instead of ballpoint pens. It usually gave much nicer results than the ball point pens of the era, though still with the occasional ink splotch.

It's then that, as a lad, I discovered that disposable ink cartridges were a thing (I grew up knowing only about the cartoon versions), and that most common school grade ink was "erasable". It was erasable in the sense that you usually also bought a double pointed eraser pen that had a ink solvent point on one end, which you ran over your mistake and it vanished, and a felt tip on the other with another kind of non-erasable ink to correct your mistake. If you messed your correction, you made a bigger mess. Especially if you used to much of the solvent point and didn't leave enough time to dry; then the corrector tip would bleed out a little on the paper.

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

Every day.  I only write with fountain pens if I can help it.  A good one is a joy to write and draw with.   I have 2 Lamy Al-Star pens, and I love them.  I've tried cheaper ones, but the performance wasn't there.  I typically have one with me at all times.

Related image

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

Yes. Not much of a fan.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Sanael said:

Fountain pen? Yes, please!

I have several, but I don't use them as often as I used to. They're not greatly useful at my current job, and I don't write as much as I once did.

I do want to get a Lamy, though. They're inexpensive enough that I won't worry about tossing it in a backpack. Then I'd have it for jotting random DM thoughts during the day.

@Sanael, find a Cross ATX for your backpack, I think you could use one for a prybar.

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Corsair said:

I have several. Most are LAMY fountain pens, I think I have a couple Sheaffer pens, a Cross pen, and a wooden fountain pen my father-in-law made.  (He turned the wood on his lathe.  The internal bits are from a kit.)  I have a LAMY Safari Vista demonstrator (i.e. clear) pen in my backpack right now.

I don't use it often (and most of my fountain pens are currently dry) but I recently decided to start carrying one in my backpack again.  I avoid carrying fountain pens in my pockets since they tend to fall out.  And since I have managed to run other pens through the wash twice in the past month, I clearly should stop putting pens in my pockets.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Corsair said:

When I was in school (French Lycée in a number of countries), it was mandatory.  We even had some special ink that could be erased with white "marker" that would fade it out to correct mistakes.  I haven't used one for a number of years though.  

• Like 10

13 hours ago, Corsair said:

We used them in my high school art class and I liked them for writing letters.  They were a fad while I was in college and I had a couple of nice ones, but ink got hard to find, so I haven't used one in a long time. My favorite pen needs a new nib, and I'm not sure I could find one these days.  I thought they wrote much nicer than ballpoints. 

• Like 10

15 hours ago, Corsair said:

Ermm. I think? I'm not really familiar with pens. I think my pen from @Loim is one. I've wrangled with it a few times. I loved how it wrote but I haven't set the time aside to figure it out completely. :lol: Mostly because I'm fully aware of how easily I can get sucked into calligraphy, and I've been doing my best to minimize adding more hobbies to my lists this year!

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, Corsair said:

I have not, but it seems like a fun thing to try.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Corsair said:

Yes. And a dip pen; I prefer the dip pen; easier to clean and maintain. :/

I have also fiddled with quills and somewhere I have a hunk of split bamboo I turned into a 'pen' for rough drawings.

What I can say, I'm an artist; if it puts marks on paper...

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

@Sanael, find a Cross ATX for your backpack, I think you could use one for a prybar.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that before. Good looking pen, and durability is a must!

My most-used pen is an old* Rotring 600 series. Sadly, the spring that holds the cap in place no longer holds tension, so it's not able to travel any more. Other than that, though? I once dropped the thing down about 150 feet of rocky cliff. If terminal velocity** onto Arkansas limestone won't kill it, it's plenty durable...but that spring is a moving part. Still writes beautifully, though!

*Old, relatively speaking. It's from the end of the 600 series' manufacture, and the last models were designed a little differently... Like the danged spring-tension cap. The oldest models had a rubber ring to hold the cap. I had one of those, too, but it was lost along with some luggage. I'd love to replace it, but I usually see the older models going for 5 or 6 hundred dollars, so...not anytime soon.

**No, not really terminal velocity. But you get the idea.

• Like 7

I have several fountain pens I use regularly. I have a Platinum Carbon and a Pilot Kakuno that are both amazing. I've got a few cheaper ones too. 

• Like 7