5 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for April 19, 2019

Do you still use a film camera?

I had a Nikon. But I generously let my brother have it years ago. So ...no

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

I haven't used my Minolta X-700 in years. Back then, on my student budget, the cost of film development was prohibiting with the amount of pictures I wanted to take.

Now I do have a budget, but unless you live near a large city, actual film labs (that are not digital photo kiosks) are quite sparse.

But generally speaking, if I'm not using my smartphone camera (which is surprisingly good for such a small package), I use an Olympus E-3 four-thirds camera with several lenses (macro to zoom) and hand grip. It weighs a ton if I carry it all day (generally when traveling), but the picture quality and control I got over it is undeniable.

And yes, I know it's outclassed by newer cameras these days, but it's still built like a tank and very weatherproof.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 6

I do not.

I don't have the skill set to develop film, much less do anything interesting with it, and paying for somebody else to do it does not seem at all worth it to me.

After reading @Doug Sundseth's post, perhaps I shouldn't even give it that much thought.

• Like 6

No. I didn't do much photography until I got a digital camera.

• Like 7

Nope. Many moons ago I used to muck around with developing my own black and white film and photos. Teenage me thought I was destined to be the next Avedon. I was not. Now I'm perfectly satisfied with the camera function on my phone. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

I do not.

I don't have the skill set to develop film, much less do anything interesting with it, and paying for somebody else to do it does not seem at all worth it to me.

After reading @Doug Sundseth's post, perhaps I shouldn't even give it that much thought.

Does the idea of a writing with a quill pen attract you? Do you really want a manual transmission sports car with a manual clutch, because it gives you complete control (to make it harder to start :poke:)? Do typewriters make you all warm and fuzzy inside?

Then film cameras might be for you. They're just not for me.

Seriously, there are people who really like film. They're not wrong. And if you are interested in trying it, it's not particularly expensive. Old camera bodies, chosen well, still work great, and though you might have to send out for development, even that isn't absurdly expensive. If you are serious about this sort of thing, you might want to pick a brand of camera that has switched lens mounts (the Canon FD mount comes to mind). The lenses are pretty cheap, since you can't just slide them onto a modern EF mount body like the Rebel.

And if you're really hardcore, you can always go all the way back to wet-plate collodion photography.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

I wish.  I can finally afford a good camera and development, but I don't know of any place left around here that sells film or processes photos.  I loved photography when I was a kid, but was priced out of the game.  I have a camera I bought about 30 years ago, but haven't used it since around 2000. 

• Like 6

One advantage of film cameras that I didn't mention that is a real advantage is that people who shoot film have prints of their photography most of the time. Prints are great, and big prints are better.

So if you shoot digital, print the photos you like. CostCo and Sams Club both have excellent print services (and publish their printer profiles if you're the kind of person for whom that is important). A photo that only ever survives as a digital file on your hard disk is likely to never be seen again. That same photo printed at 30" x 20", framed, and hung on your wall is art. (And the print will cost you something like $10 - 20 US.)

Print it and display it!

ps. Ink jet printers can give you brilliant prints. And they're cheap to buy. They're also a serious pain in the rear to use if you don't use them every day. I strongly prefer to pay somebody else to do that printing for me. It's a QoL thing.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Does the idea of a writing with a quill pen attract you? Do you really want a manual transmission sports car with a manual clutch, because it gives you complete control (to make it harder to start :poke:)? Do typewriters make you all warm and fuzzy inside?

No to the quill and typewriter but I do prefer manual transmissions for my work vehicles. They give me the control and power for what I need where automatics can hesitate or not move at all when under load. It's getting harder and harder to find stick shifts on everything but as most of my equipment is old I'm still good.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Corsair said:

I've never used a film camera :blink:

My dad had a film camera, but took the worst possible photos with it. His specialty was not getting our heads in the shot ::D:

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

My dad had a film camera, but took the worst possible photos with it. His specialty was not getting our heads in the shot ::D:

Everyone has a talent. It's important to nurture and develop yours.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

On 4/11/2019 at 9:28 PM, Corsair said:

Question for April 12, 2019

How do you like your steak?

Grilled rare, well seasoned with a touch of wood smoke.

On 4/13/2019 at 1:01 AM, TGP said:

Substitute Question for April 13, 2019

What Bones IV mini are you most looking forward to?  Are there any you regret not pledging for?  Or are you stuck waiting for retail?

Blacksting; Julie leveled up artistically speaking on that one.

On 4/13/2019 at 10:08 PM, Corsair said:

Question for April 14, 2019

What is your favorite dessert?

Can't chose one, but the top three are Creme Brulee, Key Lime Pie, and Tiramisu

On 4/14/2019 at 9:16 PM, Corsair said:

Question for April 15, 2019

Do you ever want to hang-glide?

Sure, but I don't need another hobby.

On 4/15/2019 at 9:59 PM, Corsair said:

Question for April 16, 2019

Obviously inspired by yesterday's tragedy, what is the most memorable place you have ever visited?

Valley of the Giants in the Quinault Rainforest.  

On 4/16/2019 at 9:22 PM, Corsair said:

Question for April 17, 2019

Reptiles as pets?

I'd like a Bearded Dragon, but my wife says, "no."

On 4/17/2019 at 9:28 PM, Corsair said:

Question for April 18, 2019

What was your favorite shirt when you were a kid?

I grew up in the 70's; it appears that my brain has wisely blocked all memories of the clothing of that era.

14 hours ago, Corsair said:

No

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

...grew up in the 70's; it appears that my brain has wisely blocked all memories of the clothing of that era.

::D:

The fashionistas of the 70’s have much to answer for...

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, TGP said:

::D:

The fashionistas of the 70’s have much to answer for...

Makes me glad I was too little to remember then. The 80s were much better. :poke:

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

I've never used a film camera :blink:

First time my sister used a 110 film cartridge camera (late 80s, one of those point and shoot manual cameras) to take pictures of ponies, she had the habit of only capturing part of the animal.

We joked that we could take all of the separate pictures and assemble them to make a whole pony. Never mind that they're weren't the same animal from one picture to the other.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6