Corsair

Getting to Know You for April 2019

41 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Question for April 20, 2019

Football [US Style] or Futbol [Soccer]?

Football Canadian style although I don't watch often anymore.

• Like 4

I don't watch often, but rugby is definitely my "move a ball down a pitch" game of choice.

For a wide variety of reasons, I don't have any desire to play such games. I do love Ultimate Frisbee, but have not played in some time.

I also enjoy watching tennis. I liked playing, too, but my knees do not.

My primary physical activity now is walking, and sometimes I ride my bike to work.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Paintball.  Because at least if I'm going to watch people yell at each other, they're also shooting each other!  ...With paint filled gelatin capsules, but still.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Watching: Rugby

Playing................. Tiddlywinks

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

50 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Paintball.  Because at least if I'm going to watch people yell at each other, they're also shooting each other!  ...With paint filled gelatin capsules, but still.

Really want to get back into this. I used to run a small field with one of my cousins. I still have 20 sets of equipment which I refurbished a couple years ago but only played 3 times after that. I'm not great at the advertising and between life and wishy washy players we just haven't gotten organised yet. My hard core group has all left the area. Used to be great we played wargames once or twice a week all year and paintball once or twice a week except in the winter. Then the older guys got married and the younger ones left to find better jobs.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

Neither ever caught my interest. We ever get around to creating a live action Bloodbowl though...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Zink said:

Really want to get back into this. I used to run a small field with one of my cousins. I still have 20 sets of equipment which I refurbished a couple years ago but only played 3 times after that. I'm not great at the advertising and between life and wishy washy players we just haven't gotten organised yet. My hard core group has all left the area. Used to be great we played wargames once or twice a week all year and paintball once or twice a week except in the winter. Then the older guys got married and the younger ones left to find better jobs.

I've never played woodsball (or even just rec paintball at an outdoor field), just the indoor stuff, which is predominately set up with a more Sup Airball kind of feel to them...  Which isn't truly all that bad, assuming the field maintains things, changes it up every now and then, and of course, has refs that are paying attention.

I wound up stopping because of finances, and travel.  Even the in-town places are difficult to get to for me (at least an hour on the bus), and one of them I refuse to attend because their staff didn't even apologize when what could have been a medical emergency happened on the field (got hit off the break, then overshot, was hit right on one of the arteries leading to the brain, and, well...  My next thought after shouting obscenities at the person who was targeting me that I was "dead and out of play, stop shooting so I can actually get up and off the field" was wondering why my glasses had shifted, my goggles were pressed firmly against my face, and why the astroturf was so close to my face.  My team stopped playing, screaming "REF MAN DOWN!" while pointing at me, and refs just stood there.  Player who overshot me apologized after the game, but didn't get chastised for having full auto enabled for over two seconds, and refs?  They did absolutely nothing the entire time.)

The other reason was I wanted to stop renting field gear, and get myself a fully kitted out CCM Series 6 or 6.5 (depends on the day, I honestly can't decide between the two).  Still do.  Yup, dust orange with black.  It's just that what I want is $800 USD before shipping.... Errr, gawds, pre-productions are $1,141 USD nowadays.  Wow.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

Go Riders!

CFL and NFL are what I watch most, but it's always interesting to watch association football to see players continue their acting careers. ::P:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

I take it you mean Gridiron or Soccer, or Rugby League, or Rugby Union or Aussie Rules?

It’s kind of a weird thing, I’m not really into any sort of football, but I can name teams that I would support in any of the above and know enough about them to carry on a conversation, I think it may be a survival tactic for Australians. 

I don’t mind sports (unless you try to make me play them). But it was the day I found myself watching dominos matches on ESPN that I decided enough was enough. (Apparently I will watch ANY sport, so as a result I actively avoid watching them now).

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Corsair said:

I don't sportsball :huh:

In general, I don't see much appeal in watching strangers play (whether it be sports or video games). Now, if my lizard decides she wants to sportsball, I will be at all her games cheering her on, even if I don't know diddley doo about the game itself.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Corsair said:

For football codes, I'd rank them (for interest)

• NFL
  • NCAA
  • Australian Rules
  • Rugby Union
  • CFL
  • Rugby Sevens
  • Rugby League
  • Gaelic
  • Association

I've watched many games of each of them except Gaelic; this is not just based on "what the people who live near me play/watch".

• Like 10