Sign in to follow this  
BlazingTornado

Anyone want to ID some old minis?

I took a look there, they're probably too big. They're advertised as 28mm and 30mm, but this guy is firmly 25mm, same size as old Ral Partha and Grenadier stuff.

Sir Bors from the Ral Partha High Chivalry boxed set bears a stunning resemblance to him: very tight surcoat, beaked bascinet helm with aventail, flat notched shield, broadsoard and plate armor, but the details and pose are too different for this to be any sort of conversion.

RP-10-308g.jpg

It's driving me nuts, tbh.

On 11/5/2019 at 12:14 AM, BlazingTornado said:

I took a look there, they're probably too big. They're advertised as 28mm and 30mm, but this guy is firmly 25mm, same size as old Ral Partha and Grenadier stuff.

Sir Bors from the Ral Partha High Chivalry boxed set bears a stunning resemblance to him: very tight surcoat, beaked bascinet helm with aventail, flat notched shield, broadsoard and plate armor, but the details and pose are too different for this to be any sort of conversion.

RP-10-308g.jpg

Huh, that combo of very basic looking shield with the plate armor seemed distinctive.

• Like 2

Still haven't found out who this knight is, but on the bright side I found my first D&D mini (from decades before I'd even start gaming).
Came in a set with some acrylic paints I wanted to use for custom figures, after really bad results with enamel paints.

I'd been meaning to ask if anyone knew about it but my memory of it was so vague, as the paints dried out and were thrown out quite a long time ago, and the mini itself was traded to a Warhammer/wargamer in high school...

But wouldn't you know it, the right keywords on Google led me to it. :D

image.thumb.png.315a02c106aa2080477a10eb44066048.png

(and the mini is available from Iron Wind so it'll be an easy re-acquisition!)

Back to figuring that other knight out, then.

• Like 5

On 11/12/2019 at 2:23 AM, BlazingTornado said:

Still haven't found out who this knight is, but on the bright side I found my first D&D mini (from decades before I'd even start gaming).
Came in a set with some acrylic paints I wanted to use for custom figures, after really bad results with enamel paints.

I'd been meaning to ask if anyone knew about it but my memory of it was so vague, as the paints dried out and were thrown out quite a long time ago, and the mini itself was traded to a Warhammer/wargamer in high school...

But wouldn't you know it, the right keywords on Google led me to it. :D

image.thumb.png.315a02c106aa2080477a10eb44066048.png

(and the mini is available from Iron Wind so it'll be an easy re-acquisition!)

Back to figuring that other knight out, then.

This guy is currently DF-778, Knight with Mace, available out at ralpartha.com or ironwindmetals.com.

On 11/5/2019 at 12:14 AM, BlazingTornado said:

RP-10-308g.jpg

This one is DF-752, Knight with Sword and Shield VI, also out there on ralpartha.com.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

He may be from the Heritage historicals Medieval line - maybe from when Tom Meier was working for them.

I checked those, but they all seem a lot "rougher" than this guy is....

11 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

This guy is currently DF-778, Knight with Mace, available out at ralpartha.com or ironwindmetals.com. 

This one is DF-752, Knight with Sword and Shield VI, also out there on ralpartha.com.

Yeah, I know. First thing I did when I found that boxed set was search for minis with maces on Iron Wind. It's why I mention it in parentheses.

Reposting the pics on this page for the sake of them being handy on the latest page of the topic:
UnknownKnight3.thumb.jpg.3d9bec1f2f5a247d6e1e53738de103ab.jpgUnknownKnight4.jpg.51181e141a9057c792106b2deb8e6b05.jpgUnknownKnight2.thumb.jpg.2a996178fcc960b1ac640d1fec368897.jpgUnknownKnight5.jpg.3eaddec68f9c4424a666c6fe2c7a6ea4.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

Do we know anything about the sculptor of this one?  Given the similarity, it makes me think that the sculptor made a series of parts that were then used to save time in other areas.

That shield is just so distinct (to me, anyway) that it seems improbable that two different people would have sculpted it independently.

• Like 3

It's an existing medieval shield... I think the notch is there to help balance a lance while riding a horse.

Even shows up on historical minis:

ea4b601bbab8150e7c31653c289151a1.jpg

tumblr_mxfob5ChvZ1t0flyvo1_500.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

It's an existing medieval shield... I think the notch is there to help balance a lance while riding a horse.

Even shows up on historical minis:

Well, it was a thought, anyway.

• Like 2