Weird-O

Dullcoat not dulling?

So my usual method of sealing my minis is a coat of clear gloss spray, followed by a matte spray. Works well overall, but my last batch, the dullcoat seems to do nothing to kill the shiny, no matter how many coats I hit it with. Is there any way to fix this?

There are various reasons this might be happening. It's cold and moist in many locations right now. Maybe that is affecting the spray. But whatever the cause, one thing I do when I get a similar effect, it to brush on some Vallejo Matte Medium. Not Matte sealer, though that might also do the trick. But I find when all else fails, the Matte Medium takes the shine off. It isn't meant to be a sealer, but since you already have something on there, it should be fine. It dries clear.

• Like 2

Is it a new can of dullcote? The are occasional reports of people getting cans that spray satin or even gloss with the problems go away by replacing the questionable can.

• Like 1

Or is it an old can of dullcote that has settled and needs to be remixed?

(If I remember correctly, many matte varnishes are gloss varnishes plus small particles that knock the shine down.  If it has sat for a while, the particles can settle out and the varnish will come out as glossy until it's remixed.  I've never used dullcote so I don't know if it behaves this way.)

• Like 1

Two separate cans, both Rustoleum but different lines. When the first one didn't work, I took it back to the store and exchanged it. Moreover, before taking it home, we tested the second one by spraying a metal countertop, which it dulled just fine. My second attempt was yesterday, a few days after the first attempts. Also, the weather was absolutely magnificent on the second try, so it's not that.

• Like 1

If shaking the dickens out of it does not work, try a lighter application, perhaps from a few inches farther away.  I find that 2-3 light applications work better than trying to get it in 1 layer.

• Like 3

I want to try the AK Ultra Matte stuff, but can't find a U.S. seller that actually has it in stock. Does anyone have any ideas?

3 hours ago, Weird-O said:

I want to try the AK Ultra Matte stuff, but can't find a U.S. seller that actually has it in stock. Does anyone have any ideas?

hobbyworld-usa sell it.

4 hours ago, Weird-O said:

Competitionminis has it in stock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So my bottle of ultra matte varnish just came in the mail. How does this stuff work? Brush it on directly, or thin it a bit by swishing in water first?

1 hour ago, Weird-O said:

So my bottle of ultra matte varnish just came in the mail. How does this stuff work? Brush it on directly, or thin it a bit by swishing in water first?

I have done both, don't remember there being too much of a difference. Main thing with it though is to shaking it really good. 

How does the AK Ultra Matte compare to Testor's Dullcote or other sprays?  I thought I'd heard that generally you get flatter results with either airbrushing a brush-on flat varnish or spraying with a can of flat varnish.  I've mostly stayed with brush-on sealants using a brush when I want to seal something, so I'm curious.