Sign in to follow this  
Rainbow Sculptor

Recent Works

Any plans for a Bill the Lizard sculpt? Because the idea of a working-class lizard-man with flat cap and handyman's tools pushes my buttons, at least! 

This is a fantastic series. 

• Like 4

On 4/15/2019 at 4:55 PM, MedusaMiniatures said:

interesting - you do your blocking posed. I tend to do hard surface and anatomy in a neutral pose first, pose, then sculpt cloth.

Yeah, most of the other sculptors work that way also. I just really enjoy working in ZSpheres for basic anatomy and playing with posing. Once I get it where I like it I just build from there. 

20 hours ago, Rigel said:

Any plans for a Bill the Lizard sculpt? Because the idea of a working-class lizard-man with flat cap and handyman's tools pushes my buttons, at least! 

This is a fantastic series. 

I hadn't planned on it, no, but he was such a great character! I've got a new set i'm working on now in a related vein that I'm excited about. Gonna have some unique characters in it that I hope people will want to add to their collection!

• Like 6

I've been working on lots of new stuff! I can't really show everything just yet but here's a fun little WIP I'm spending some time on today.

I've been hearing a lot of negativity directed at digital sculpts/sculptors and it's been getting me down. I do realize that it's not everyone's cup of tea and that working in this way does make my work less desirable to some. I don't think it takes any less talent, effort, or skill to sculpt a great mini in any medium. All that to say that I love watching you guys create and am so thankful for the support you all have shown me throughout my learning process regardless of what medium I work in. It really means a lot to me to be a part of this community. Can't wait for ReaperCon!

Lost Girl WIP.JPGWIP Side View.JPG

Edited by Rainbow Sculptor
  • Like 13

Ignore the haters.  Your work looks really cool.

My only complaint is I haven't been able to buy copies of my own.

Edited by Clearman
  • Like 6

It looks really good!

1 hour ago, Rainbow Sculptor said:

I've been hearing a lot of negativity directed at digital sculpts/sculptors and it's been getting me down. I do realize that it's not everyone's cup of tea and that working in this way does make my work less desirable to some. I don't think it takes any less talent, effort, or skill to sculpt a great mini in any medium.

I think a lot of this negativity that is being aimed at the sculptors is really about the 3d printing technology.  The tech has come a long ways, but it's not there yet. So sculptors have to compensate for the tech, and that can lead to all sorts of issues from presentation to final product, and many of those issues are being unfairly blamed on the sculptor. 

A lot of the complaints I've seen about digital sculptors look very similar to the complaints about 2d artists who first transitioned to doing their artwork with computers. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clearman said:

Ignore the haters.  Your work looks really cool.

My only complaint is I haven't been able to buy copies of my own.

Thank you! Hopefully the wait won't be too much longer lol

@kristof65 You're very right. I didn't really compare it to the commentary when artists started working digitally for illustration and it is very much the same. The idea that the computer does all the work, everything looks the same, it lacks soul or feels sterile. With time digital art became an accepted and often times preferred medium for illustration and certainly for graphic design type work. Hopefully with time and tech upgrades consumers will come around to this too. Thanks for the perspective, it was much needed. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Rainbow Sculptor said:

Thanks for the perspective, it was much needed. 

Glad I could help. 

• Like 1

Digital also has one reaaaally handy feature that the real world currently has no real replacement for: the undo button. 

Being able to take risks without having to fully commit to them means you can really explore additional avenues, or thoughts that come to mind, without having to completely destroy work, or create copies, etc. 

I say they're just different tools, and it's up to how they're used for the final product that actually matters.  ^_^

• Like 4

8 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Digital also has one reaaaally handy feature that the real world currently has no real replacement for: the undo button. 

This is 100% untrue.  I use my undo button all the time:

Spoiler

Seriously, y'all should have been expecting that.

Image result for scalpel

Anyone I have taught sculpting to will know that I am always harping on them to use their undo button whenever needed.  The nice thing about the analog undo button is that I can undo any action I have taking on the mini, regardless of order or when I made the error.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

This is 100% untrue.  I use my undo button all the time:

Hide contents

Seriously, y'all should have been expecting that.

Image result for scalpel

Anyone I have taught sculpting to will know that I am always harping on them to use their undo button whenever needed.  The nice thing about the analog undo button is that I can undo any action I have taking on the mini, regardless of order or when I made the error.

That's a very different undo function though, and it's permanent ::P:  It's a lot... harder to keep the three most recent changes, and remove JUST the fourth one.

• Like 1

I'm really looking forward to getting zBrush.  I really want to see what I can do with it when blended with a jewelry wax printer, my foundry, and my analog skills.  I think that there is a lot of room for a hybrid approach that I really haven't seen anyone else trying yet.

(Sorry Christine, didn't mean to hijack your thread.)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

I'm really looking forward to getting zBrush.  I really want to see what I can do with it when blended with a jewelry wax printer, my foundry, and my analog skills.  I think that there is a lot of room for a hybrid approach that I really haven't seen anyone else trying yet.

I'd really like to see this. I've long had plans to do something similar when building terrain, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. 

• Like 2

First off that little girl with the hat sculpt is wonderful! 

Secondly the discussion against the quality of digital sculpting is foolish at this point. Realistically the vast majority of miniatures coming out now were sculpted digitally. That's the industry. Reaper, Wyrd, Privateer Press, Games Workshop, Gale Force 9, CMON, Warlord, and Mantic have all embraced digital sculpting. 

It's not like digital sculpting invented lifeless, stiff, or sterile sculpts- bad sculptors have been making bad sculpts for years. Sculpting digitally isn't really faster or "easier" unless you are making a lifeless, stiff and sterile sculpt. Bringing a sculpt to life still takes time and skill, the computer won't do that for you.

You are a great artist partly because you recognize and avoid the traps that make for bad digital sculpts. The rest is your talent and hard work! Don't be discouraged.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@GHarris  Thank you so much! I hit the heart button super fast and realized that wasn't nearly enough to communicate how awesome you made me feel. I'm happy to see that all the effort of learning this new medium, and time and energy invested in each new piece, is worth it. You guys are the bestest! <3

• Like 6