Sign in to follow this  
Rainbow Sculptor

Recent Works

Here's the final version of my little druid girl. This definitely would've been me as a kid haha

(Credit for the idea of adding an adorable hedgehog goes to @TaleSpinner , this is why we're friends)

427196193_LostGirlPortfolioPresentation.jpg.4eaf88ac8a7d38e519c7a24b338f6d7e.jpg

Edited by Rainbow Sculptor
  • Like 14

Adorable! Getting those details on the tiny wee beasties is one place where digital shines. In meatspace you can "zoom" using a magnifying glass, but you can't "zoom" your manual dexterity accordingly.

Hedgehog is a great call.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Rigel said:

Adorable! Getting those details on the tiny wee beasties is one place where digital shines. In meatspace you can "zoom" using a magnifying glass, but you can't "zoom" your manual dexterity accordingly.

Hedgehog is a great call.

You can put tons of little details into a digital sculpt, the question is will it show up on the finished product. I would say in many ways this is where hand sculpting shines, you can see if something will show up or if something is too small/fragile to cast, unlike digital sculpting where you have to learn this the hard way. Just a different perspective!

I really like this little druid! Now that she has her second hand she doesn't look like she was on the wrong end of a lightsaber battle! I'm not sure if the stitching on the bag and pocket will come out, same with the fingers on the paw of the hedgehog, you may also lose the nose/eyes/hands on the squirrel. How big will she be when she is printed? Have you tried a test print? I'm guessing if that is a 32ish mm scale child she may be only 23-25mm to the top of her head, making those tiny beasties really tiny!

The dress came out great! The drapery and movement are done well.

• Like 3

I'm glad other folks popped in to help you feel better about digital sculpting. And of course I love your druid. <3 

The complaints are very much like those against digital painting. I've not done either types of digital art, but I've seen you bust your butt learning to sculpt digitally - and that's after all your learning for an art background! It takes work!

I've shied away from digital sculpting because I don't have that background. I'm still learning what looks right. I'm also a very tactile person. I want to play with clay and give people hugs all day haha! I was also discouraged by the price points of mini-quality printers and/or buying my prints off of someone. But when my husband picked up that 3D printer and I remembered that things bigger than 32 mm existed, I got real interested real quick! So I might learn that in a couple years. :) 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, GHarris said:

You can put tons of little details into a digital sculpt, the question is will it show up on the finished product. I would say in many ways this is where hand sculpting shines, you can see if something will show up or if something is too small/fragile to cast, unlike digital sculpting where you have to learn this the hard way. Just a different perspective!

I really like this little druid! Now that she has her second hand she doesn't look like she was on the wrong end of a lightsaber battle! I'm not sure if the stitching on the bag and pocket will come out, same with the fingers on the paw of the hedgehog, you may also lose the nose/eyes/hands on the squirrel. How big will she be when she is printed? Have you tried a test print? I'm guessing if that is a 32ish mm scale child she may be only 23-25mm to the top of her head, making those tiny beasties really tiny!

The dress came out great! The drapery and movement are done well.

No test print yet.  The details here are pushing the limits of what our printer can do, but we want to see if it can pull it off.   We will know in a few days.

When measuring things like reapers latest figures,   32mm seems to be gone.  We measured all our bones 4 haul, and  most reaper male figures clock in at 35-36 mm.  Females 33-35.   Scale creep is real.  We plan to print her at about 29mm  and see how it comes out.

• Like 4

I would love to see how the test print comes out!

The model I have been using for human reference for Reaper stuff is Bobby Jackson's excellent Dreadmere sheriff, the fella with the hat reading a scroll. He is about 35mm to the top of the head, which is where I measure to unless told otherwise. I guess if you are old school and you measure to the eyes he is still in 32mm scale but I haven't been asked to measure to the eyes in years.

Will any of these models be for sale by Reapercon? Or will we be able to see some prints in person? 

• Like 5

@GHarris I love that sculpt! such a great piece.  We will be bringing printed/primed versions of everything I've done this year (since I moved to digital) to ReaperCon. As far as selling goes, there are some things in the works but nothing official just yet. We'll update this thread and our Facebook page if/when things become finalized on that front. 

• Like 3