Sign in to follow this  
wdmartin

Hair repair

So about a year ago, I finished painting up 03506: Egyptian Priestess, and I was very happy with the result.  Then, at GenCon last year, disaster struck and I dumped an entire case of minis in the aisle of the airplane as I was trying get off.  I've since repaired all of them -- except my little priestess.  This is the one that broke my heart the worst.

Before:

shemayet-06.jpg.a888d2734594259ddf30defa97db8e22.jpg

After:

shemayet-07.jpg.bea45aac42047afb1eed6558da760228.jpg

The arm is bad enough, but ... that hair.  The gashes are roughly horizontal, across finely detailed vertical patterning.  They're fairly deep too, especially the bottom one.  Just looking at the hair fills me with despair.

I've thought about using some green stuff as gap filler, and texturing the surface somehow.  But I'm wondering if there might be a better approach.  Suggestions, anyone?

• Sad 7

a cheap fix is to pick up some Golden Molding Paste.  It's almost exactly the same as liquid green stuff, but way cheaper in bulk. As long as you keep the jar closed, it lasts a long time. I've had my 8 oz jar for 2 years now, and still kicking.  You can get it from most hobby stores and online. You can texture the surface. It acts a lot like water effect and dries translucent to clear. Once you fill in the gaps, you can paint over it like any miniature surface. Just let it dry for a day. You can also use it to smooth surfaces and mold lines, build it up like water effect and fill in gaps. It's quite versatile. You can even mix paint in it, though I've noticed it tends to make the color a bit weaker.  I've used it for blood effects as well.

I can't link commerce, but I bought mine at Michael's and Amazon has it.

The gaps are fixable, though I'm so sorry this happened!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

::(:

I just had an idea. Make a texture matching tool out of greenstuff, a cocktail skewer, a small coin, and more greenstuff.  In my head this works a treat. Should I make a diagram?

• Like 3

A diagram would be helpful, yes.

What I really want is the Clone Stamp tool from Photoshop.  Alas, the physical world just isn't as amenable to such things as the digital.

• Like 5

I often have got problems with miniature hair being broken or damaged pretty often. It's always a mess, but I agree with @Corporeathat using greenstuff, liquid greenstuff or a similar product might do the thing for you.

Sculpting the surface won't be that hard, I'd say. A simple scalpel or knive should be suited for it. I can have a look it I still have got some pictures from one of my repair wotks, if you want me to.

• Like 2

I'd probably fill the gap leaving a slight depression, let that cure, and then put a thin skin of putty over it. It doesn't have to be GS. Milliput or Aves Apoxie are less sticky and a little bit water soluble so easier to smooth to edges sometimes. On the second stage, you have a couple of options for how to create fine strand hair texture. The easiest is probably very lightly pressing an Exacto blade into the putty. You could also 'draw' strands with an etching tool. (Or sharpen a pointed round toothpick, then dip the end in superglue. Wipe off the excess, and you have a homemade etcher tool.)

The arm I would probably try to fix a different way. I'd do a coat of primer over the bare metal, and then try to fill in the depression with brush tips of gloss or brush-on sealer, allowing it to dry between coats.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

There is this stuff called instant mold.

What if you first fill those gaps a bit, and then use that instant mold on a part that is still good.

You will then have a little mall of hair texture, fill that with green stuff or procreate and apply the new hair on the needed spot?

I used this to create feathers for my velociraptors.

• Like 4

Okay, on Wren's advice I've ordered some Milliput.  I only have two local craft stores -- Michael's didn't carry it, and I prefer not to shop at the other.

I'll report back once I've got the goop and have made some progress.  Thanks, everyone!

• Like 1

It took me a couple more months to finally get to this -- but I did.

Superfine White Milliput in the hair gaps, plus primer and Gloss Sealer in the arm damage.

hair-repair-01.jpg.a57fa7d408c65e439a27bea29edc2e17.jpg

The same, after carefully pressing a scalpel blade into the putty a few times.

hair-repair-02.jpg.cd1bc37cd7c7d91e62ffd5a7181c0a9e.jpg

Base coating the putty with Sandy Brown and the arm with 1:1:1 Palomino Gold/Caucasian Flesh/Suntan Flesh:

hair-repair-03.jpg.006ed7e6b5e7da3178557051663ecbcd.jpg

A black wash and some highlighting on the hair, plus I bulked up the arm area with a bit more gloss sealer and more of the same skin mixture.

hair-repair-04.jpg.827afd3cdb5bccebd2505eacfe2c6eea.jpg

That's where things stand at the moment.  It's ... passable.  It'll never be anywhere near as good as it was before the damage; but you would need to inspect it pretty closely to see the damage in hand.

I would like to thank Wren for some excellent advice.  It served me well.

Also, I was very glad I'd made some detailed notes on the exact paint formulas and procedures I used during the original paint job, which made it a lot easier to match the colors.  Thanks, Past Me!

Oh, and I also did some touch up on the front of the arm to conceal a couple of cracks.  The highlighting is a bit flatter than it was before but it's okay.

hair-repair-05.jpg

Edited by wdmartin
  • Like 12

Nice fixes, especially the arm, and I'm glad you got them done so well.

As as someone who's gamed with certain painted figures for decades, I understand your tribulation. 

Thanks for for letting us know how you managed it.

• Like 2