Sign in to follow this  

Have you ever thought to yourself, 

"If only I could make this mini temporarily huge, I could really go to town on the details, blending, etc..."

Because this line of thought is about to get me into trouble. I've seen quite a few examples of kickelf busts done here, and seeing the sunbleached and sorry state of some Garden Gnomes I found last year in a forgotten tote bin, ideas began to ferment. Also I've been playing more Mordheim than is probably healthy on the PS4 which led to dreams of Gnome Witch Hunters purging the lawn of weeds and heresy. Which then led to various other forms of madness that can be expressed in a lawn setting.... but for now let us begin with Gnomes and Mushrooms.

100_0884.JPG.417fed7ce3979da0564c584b1c567055.JPG

Partial basecoating done with some ancient craft paints, as I'm somewhat intimidated by the sheer amount of surface area I'm dealing with, and the fact that my skintone blending is not something I feel is paticularly strong as of now. The plan is to have his shirt come back up to white, and his overalls will also be black. The shoes as well, maybe. Beard and hair will likely be blonde. His walking stick might be converted to an axe once I find my hobby saw and get a pattern traced on some balsa wood. Overall, the vision is of Puritan/Amish village mob.

100_0883.JPG.4e3224f1214f009913a47c0476b54e9f.JPG

I've already coated the stems in beige spraypaint, and I'm thinking to paint the caps in an orange/red with white in the holes. I'm tempted to try sculpting some Malefaction faces on them, but seeing as how I've never sculpted anything before I figure it's best to get used to painting the absurdly large first. (As I type this I hear the voice of future me muttering something about how the sculpting is inevitable and something about moldmaking. He's suspiciously silent when I ask back concerning winning lotto numbers...)

• Like 9

Continuing with this morning's theme of angry bearded ones, got some Blonde Shadow on the Gnome's.

100_0894.JPG.5f6d8a89a02dcfc354ffc4a425c750b2.JPG

It took a bit more than I expected as the paint went on thinner than planned, but better coverage than the craft paint at least. But considering my Citadel spray primer was from 97, applied over a mystery plastic made in 94, I can't really complain. Hopefully by the time I get to the highlight layers, this won't be as much of an issue. I'm estimating that if all goes well, I might have all five of them finished around Halloween, which would be thematic at least. Gives me time to find my hobby saw and figure out their weapon mods....

• Like 7