So I've been planning on a plug &play mast conversion. I just finished one of the 4l jugs of distilled water, so I cut it up for an approximate size test.

Works for me. I will now try to even out those grooves to make a sail.

20190409_153952.thumb.jpg.4b41aace687efb829e0db2e68b64e79c.jpg20190409_154010.thumb.jpg.012955a0200c7127ed5d8d30b159f2d5.jpg

Still trying to figure out HOW to duplicate the plug for the mast

I  don't think foamcore will be solid. Don't know how I would do it with putty/clay. Don't have tools to do it from end of dowel.

My plan is to paint up the end and press it down on something to get the shape. After that I'm stumped. Ideas? This is for summer? September maybe? Later in the year anyway.

• Like 8

I was going to suggest wooden dowelling but I see you don't have the tools. You're to far from me or I'd help. I didn't buy the barge so I can't even make one here and send it to you. I'm thinking foam or clay would probably be weak. Maybe a combo of greenstuff over a smaller dowel? Get one that just fits, cover it in a layer of greenstuff and shove it the hole. Oil the hole first so you can get it out unless you want it permanent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I could send you an empty Stōk Cold Brew Coffee bottle. Those have perfectly even grooves. Or just buy one locally?

613eKL9F6HL._SY679_.jpg

(The grooves are not visible until the shrink wrapped label/branding is removed. The plastic is stiffer than that water bottle stuff as well.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking of greenstuff over the plug shape in foamcore, actually. then attach it to wooden dowel. I have small ones for the boom and whatever the top cross-piece is called.

5 minutes ago, Zink said:

I was going to suggest wooden dowelling but I see you don't have the tools. You're to far from me or I'd help. I didn't buy the barge so I can't even make one here and send it to you. I'm thinking foam or clay would probably be weak. Maybe a combo of greenstuff over a smaller dowel? Get one that just fits, cover it in a layer of greenstuff and shove it the hole. Oil the hole first so you can get it out unless you want it permanent.

I'm ok with the sail base I have for now. I don't anticipate any problems getting those grooves filled.

4 minutes ago, TGP said:

I could send you an empty Stōk Cold Brew Coffee bottle. Those have perfectly even grooves. Or just buy one locally? 

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 1
38 minutes ago, TGP said:

What is this plug that needs replacing?  :huh: Confused. 

There is a broken off mast with a ram skull hanging from it that has a plug end that fits in a hole on the deck of the barge. That makes it theoretically replaceable(swappable), if on occasion you want to have a ship with a full mast and sail. The problem is making any replacement mast fit properly without permanently attaching it. I packed everything away again so I can't take a picture now (also I'm going out to game).

• Like 2

Amazing!  I don't think I would have ever thought of this, but it looks like this would work as a translucent sail perfectly!

It kind of ties into some of my thrift-store scavenging lately: "I can paint stuff all sorts of colors, but I can't paint it TRANSPARENT."  (Yeah, I could try to fake it with some sort of trompe l'oeil effect, but that only works -- if at all -- when viewed from one specific vantage point.)

I've also been puzzling over how to get plastic with rounded corners for the proper look for certain structures in Fallout-type settings (rounded corners and soft ridges seem to be a recurring feature in some of the retro-futuristic technologies and architectures) and now I'm wondering if an unrolled water bottle might provide a solution for that as well.  Thanks so much for sharing this great idea!  :D

• Like 2

I will have to post a picture of an empty Stōk bottle. (The plastic is white, a little less translucent than a plastic milk bottle; the color-coded labeling just peels away.)

Games Workshop made ship sails from recycle bin bottles ages ago.  It’s not a new idea. (They overwrapped both sides of the plastic with cloth or paper towel to give a cloth-like texture, then they painted that with heraldic devices...)

• Like 2

I'm going to be gluing/modgepodging cream color paper over the plastic. The bottle I got is 1$ and I get them all the time for stuff so if it doesnt work I can try with paper towel.

This is just a shape for full square sails. I  want it to look like canvas.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, lexomatic said:

I'm going to be gluing/modgepodging cream color paper over the plastic. The bottle I got is 1$ and I get them all the time for stuff so if it doesnt work I can try with paper towel.

This is just a shape for full square sails. I  want it to look like canvas.

You could just use the bottle as a "mold", and drape glue soaked cotton over it.  That way you don't have to simulate the look of fabric - it would be fabric. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

You could just use the bottle as a "mold", and drape glue soaked cotton over it.  That way you don't have to simulate the look of fabric - it would be fabric. 

Cotton is more of a hassle. This will be the least hassle.

• Like 3