So, I bought a bottle of Reaper Black Ink out of curiosity but I've come to realize I really have no idea on how to use inks.  I've done a bit of Googling and learned they are high-density pigment (or unpigmented, not sure what Reaper inks are) and very thin.  I have a 77259: Fly Demon that I primed and washed with a 1:1 mix of Black Ink to Water just to see how it flows.  I have to say it's interesting and it seems to sit in the details without clouding up the flat surfaces as a thinned paint would.

Anyway, what I'm looking for is a tutorial or video specific to using inks, ideally for beginners, just so I can start to get my head around what they might be good for.

Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Forum Mascot

Your best bet would be to search "washes and inks" on Youtube, this will give you some basics videos and some others.  Inks (and assorted other washes) are relatively simple to use, but can be used a couple of different ways.  This will let you see some common usages and maybe one or two more interesting uses, which would probably be better than a bunch of favourite links.  How you wind up preferring to use them might be different from how I do, so picking good videos curated to my taste might leave useful information out.  But those search parameters brought up good videos for me, from Dr. Faust, Vince Venturella, and others so they should have good information to get you on your way.  

Note that inks and washes cover a lot of the same ground, but are different.  Those videos should help distinguish the two.    

• Like 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuTCEzyZ50o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YdY7GlwKQc

Here's a start for you. Took me years to figure them out too. For a long time I just used them as a glaze (thin layer) on top of stuff I wanted to be shiny. I still don't use inks a ton but use washes and glazes (either made with my other paints or bought) a lot. Here's a site that while not talking about inks has some good tips for beginners.

https://brokenpaintbrush.com/tutorials/

Ha, ninja'd by Buglips and he even mentioned the videos I linked to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use inks a lot, mostly from Scale 75.

Be aware that a wash will leave a residue and create shadows, an Ink can be used to paint with.

Just be careful because it flows more easily.

This Samurai Zombie was almost entirely done with Ink.

Red, Blue and Black are all inks.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/80129-clan-war-samurai-zombie-by-glitterwolf/

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One quick thing I'll point out is that inks can "reactivate". That means that, unlike paints, they can "un-dry" if exposed to water/thinning medium/etc. 

This shouldn't cause an issue with your spider as long as you don't try to apply another wash to him. Normal painting will probably be fine. For this reason, I tend to use paint washes early on and save inks for smaller, specific areas later.

Also, inks tend to dry glossier than matte paint. Not a problem if you use a dull coat spray, but something to be aware of.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If you want a more matte finish to your inks, mix the ink in a solution of matte medium and water. I like to keep a bottle of matte medium and water mix (roughly 2/1 water to medium mix with a few drops of flow improver thrown in)

handy in a dropper bottle so it is available to drop into inks for matte applications. 

Edited by Kormydigar
  • Thanks 2