Sign in to follow this  
buglips*the*goblin

Warlord Games General Historical Discussion

1 hour ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I hated it at first, but now that I've done about 100 it's not so bad.  

...are you sure this isn't Stockholm Syndrome...?

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, Last Knight said:

...are you sure this isn't Stockholm Syndrome...?

... I never thought of it that way, but I've done so many M41 field jackets now I feel like I've been drafted.

If I start speaking French when I get to the Waterloo stuff we'll have our answer.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just before Halloween, I may have possibly acquired some boxes of Warlord Zulus + a package of Zulu from a different company. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, EvilJames said:

Just before Halloween, I may have possibly acquired some boxes of Warlord Zulus + a package of Zulu from a different company. 

Married or unmarried?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Married or unmarried?

The Warlord ones are both, the other company I don't know, it's only labeled Zulu,  but I can probably compare them to the Warlord ones to figure out.

• Like 1

Ok the other company is Wargames Factory and I'm pretty sure they are unmarried. 

At least that's what the picture on the outside depicts,  I haven't looked that closely at the sprues, the could be alternate heads.

Edited by EvilJames

It's interesting that the cover art for the Warlord Unmarried Zulu Impi set includes at least one person who is unambiguously married. (Can't speak to the actual minis.) Part of the reason I was asking is that the Reaper Zulus (three packs) are a sort of random mix, which wouldn't work so well for coherent games. (Though they're quite nice sculpts.)

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 4:39 AM, lowlylowlycook said:

I was hoping for plastic but then again that was asking for a lot given lack of even metal figures.  So yeah, they are metal.

Okay, thank you!

7 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Remind me, married Zulus are marked by the gum rings in the hair?

Yes. Unmarried would often have much more complex and interesting head-dresses, but the ring seems to have been standard for married Impis throughout the period of interest.

• Like 3

After your comment an re looking at my wargames factory Zulus, they appear to be married rather than unmarried as I initially thought. 

• Like 3

Finally got my Rangers decals so I can give them some ranks, turns out when applied they're barely visible.  This makes them useless for telling figures apart on the table, but at least I know they're there I guess.  I mean, I wouldn't bother if I didn't think it was worth the trouble, I just expected them to maybe be more than just vanity decoration.  ::P:

• Like 3

I finally had a chance to play a game of Bolt Action.  It'll take some time for people to get used to the rules and work out good tactics, but the StG German squad has, so far, not turned out to be the game-breaking menace that I feared - but they didn't really manage to get into a position where they could exploit their assault weapons to best effect.  None of the PzFausts made a hit roll, so that remains inconclusive.  But the main thing is that everyone had fun and wants to come back for more, so there was a point to all of this and I won't have to play sad games in the basement by myself with a bottle of cheap brandy.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I won't have to play sad games in the basement by myself with a bottle of cheap brandy.  

Who normally wins, you or the brandy?

On a more serious note, hopefully you do get a good gaming group out of that first game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lowlylowlycook
      Warlord has released a Korean War supplement for Bolt Action as well as some miniatures.  Since I already had some minis for the Ethiopian Kagnew Battalion that Haile Selasse sent to fight in Korea, I decided that I needed someone for them to fight and have thus started a Chinese PVA force.  Also I'd like to get them done quick like so after some experiments I decided to do the uniforms with a combination of Army Painter and GW Contrast paint.    

Since that isn't quite a horde, I have a couple of extra squads on order.

A closeup.  Their skin has just a base coat and the fur hats haven't been started.  

If you want to compare, the ones on yellow bases were done with AP primer and soft tone while the ones on pale bases were done with Contrast.

• By buglips*the*goblin
      @SisterMaryNapalm and I both have some German Grenadiers (and I think he was some Fallschirmjager as well) that we are working on, and since that's a fine coincidence I thought it would be fun to share a thread with our work on them.  I know we're at least using somewhat different paints, and possibly also different methods, so it might be interesting to see how they turn out.  

These are mine from the Bolt Action Band of Brothers starter set.  I have another squad, but all of those are wearing standard Feldgrau uniforms so they're represented here by the Leutnant with binoculars and map, and the NCO with field cap and submachinegun.  Most of the others are wearing camouflaged tent quarters, so that should prove... challenging.  At this stage, I've assembled them, primed them with stynylrez, and they've got a coat of VMC Feldgrau that I darkened 50/50 with Reaper Brown Liner.  They're more assembled than I'd probably prefer, but I'm used to figures with fewer pieces so I haven't quite got a working method worked out for multipart multioption plastic figures yet.  I don't expect it will be too much trouble.  I hope not, anyway.  

Apologies for any craptacular photos, I'm compelled to use my ancient Galaxy S3 and haven't yet replaced my camera.  Frankenphone sometimes works, and sometimes it calls in sick.  
    • By SisterMaryNapalm
      After I started working on my Soviet Russian girls, I soon noticed that I missed some usable terrain.

So it was time for me to start making some.

I checked my stuff and ... unfortunately I didn't have got any usable terrain. But I had some 28mm Warhammer 40k barrels and boxes. So ... what to do with those? ...

Luckily I am a person full of ideas and dreams and melancholy. So I remembered back in the days when I was young, I played a game called "Blitzkrieg".

"Blitzkrieg" was a lovely game using a lovely graphic engine for displaying things. And they had this wonderful supply depot, which I think would be perfect

First off I have have to prepare some boxes to later have a good foundation for the blanket.

... which ended in in looking like this:

Time to paint!
    • By SisterMaryNapalm
      The Show-Off thread for my Soviet Russian female Batallion project. You can find the WIP-thread here: ->Let's make ... Soviet Russian Female Battalion for Bolt Action<- 

So ... without further Ado, let's get into the presentation ...

The first three figures are done. C&C are welcome.

Next group is already on its way.
    • By SisterMaryNapalm
      Hello everyone,

Some of you already know my Roza Shanina build (Check here ->Let's present ... Roza Shanina<-) and my Russian tank commander and tank rider build (Check here ->Painting female Soviet tank commanders and tank riders<-) and some might have noticed the little glimpse of what I was working on at the headswap topic (check ->here<-).

But now it is time to present the project as a whole.

Whoever is interested in the background of the project might find an answer in this post ->here<-

So, let's get started.

As at the the time I started the project my sculpting skills were far inferior to what I am able to do today, I needed some plain surface for sculpting female attributes onto the body.

Luckily Warlord Games had just released a number of Soviet Russians in winter clothing, so I took the opportunity to get me a box of them and started working.

Unfortunately the heads I wanted to use were unavailable so I began working on the bodies alone. Not a problem for me. I am running around headless most of my time, so I know what I am doing.

After having cut out and cleaned the bases, it was time to go onto the bodies.

Using some greenstuff it was rather easy to make males into females. And luckily there are a lot of reference pictures  of real female soldiers in WWII. Yeah - well. Those who know me know that I normally reject reality and substitute my own. Therefore - mixed real and anime approaches to make the girls visually appealing on a greater distance.

Time to dry!
  • Who's Online   16 Members, 0 Anonymous, 29 Guests (See full list)