Sign in to follow this  
haldir

5e spell vs physical dice contest

Having a hard time coming up with how to roll this one out. The adventure as written has the players or a player going up against a wizard in a arm-wrestling match with a twist. The twist being she challenges the PC to a mage hand wrestling contest. Other then that it's a normal arm wrestling contest but using contested INT rolls with 2/3 falls as a winner.

Now my problem is no one in my party is a wizard or has the mage hand spell, so I'm gonna have her challenge someone with her spell but allow them to wrestle using their normal appendage. Her roll will be INT obviously but what about the player? I was thinking STR roll but wasn't sure if that would be right due to going up against magic. There is a blurb about if the player is intoxicated (it is a tavern afterall) then they would roll at disadvantage)

The adventure has a dwarf warrior contesting her when they first enter the tavern so apparently it's not all magic vs magic, as the story says she's been there for a week, amassing a nice haul of gold.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

STR at first and if it's too close, make em roll CON to see if they can outlast the Mage Hand's 1 minute duration...

The mage hand's maximum carrying capacity is 10 pounds so also figure out how that translates to pressure against another hand and figure out the number this translates to and make that the difficulty DC for the STR check.

• Like 2

One of my DM’s did something like this with a

magic orb, stretching my memory here a bit but the ranger was contesting someone by using their animal handling skill. Somehow, there were fire bats involved. It was something like arcana on one side vs animal handling on the other. Maybe athletics vs arcana would work?

Each successful check would push the orb in that direction, until it was all the way over so it wasn’t so much a 2/3 as there was some back and forth.

Edited by Sibling
  • Like 2

I like both of those. I was thinking it'll be STR roll but if the player has Athletics, then they can use that skill instead. I may use the mage's Arcana instead of a straight INT roll. She does have a +6 to the roll (might explain why she has been successful in her 'rasslin venture).

• Like 2