pcktlnt

New Cloud giant for upcoming Reaper mystery project

Ah well. as ong as the May figure is a Klockenbooty.

(Got to love the fact that they actually have that as a searchable keyword i the store. )

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/12/2019 at 1:48 PM, Gadgetman! said:

As for the critique that has Izzy down. I assume that has mostly been on the KS comments

As Nakos has already said, that’s correct.  It’s from the Bones 1 comments.

Izzy had intended the pose to suggest the giant was looking down on the adventurers perhaps offering guidance, possibly chastising, or even threatening them.

A few others saw it as a stripper pose and were very outspoken about it, and in a case or two just downright nasty about it.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Sad 9

I almost never venture into KS comments so I missed all of that.  IMO the KS1 giant suffers from a weight distribution problem.  It takes what could have been an aggressive pose and makes it passive. Most people can read body language so even if they don't know why, the lack of aggression comes across. Stripper is a little excessive, and there's no need to get nasty about it.  I've never seen the concept art so I can't say if the pose came directly from the art or was sculptor's interpretation.

The new version is certainly aggressive, though something feels off about it.  Maybe I'm just not used to "heroic scale" proportions in figures that large.

• Like 1

I used the previous cloud giant as a Marid, which she worked very well for.

I like this one, too - so very much not complaining.

The Auld Grump - I don't generally bother reading comments on KS... or YouTube, for that matter.

• Like 2

On 4/11/2019 at 8:32 PM, pcktlnt said:

Drools...

Cloud01.png.6fe5fe77a7721b19c88448d16cc0d1ee.png

1638066645_CloudScale.png.41a52b7d60b173eda766f7a1de80898f.png

Bobby knocks it out of the park again. Beautiful sculpt, Roman musculata and jewelry. So looking forward adding it to my Army. And a Giant I can use as a proper tall Giant. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Auberon said:

I almost never venture into KS comments so I missed all of that.  IMO the KS1 giant suffers from a weight distribution problem.  It takes what could have been an aggressive pose and makes it passive. Most people can read body language so even if they don't know why, the lack of aggression comes across. Stripper is a little excessive, and there's no need to get nasty about it.  I've never seen the concept art so I can't say if the pose came directly from the art or was sculptor's interpretation.

The new version is certainly aggressive, though something feels off about it.  Maybe I'm just not used to "heroic scale" proportions in figures that large.

Just saw someone's unboxing video for Bones 3, and he was going through the art book (need to get bones 3 artbook next reaper run, with the catalog), and Yephima concept artwork is in there.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Izzy had intended the pose to suggest the giant was looking down on the adventurers perhaps offering guidance, possibly chastising, or even threatening them.

A few others saw it as a stripper pose and were very outspoken about it, and in a case or two just downright nasty about it.

Which says more about their imagination and general view of people than about the sculpt.

I have Yephima and I will get the Black Bones one as well one day.

With the Yephima I have, I'm thinking about painting her in an oriental style so she will fit into my Nippon Project.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Nope, can't say it looks like any 'stripper pose' I can imagine. But then again, I left puberty behind a couple of decades ago. 

She's offering guidance. Definitely. Threats would have her hold her club or whatever in a more aggressive position.

Also, she looks as if she's smiling(the face reads as 'friendly') sochastising is out, too. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

Nope, can't say it looks like any 'stripper pose' I can imagine. But then again, I left puberty behind a couple of decades ago. 

She's offering guidance. Definitely. Threats would have her hold her club or whatever in a more aggressive position.

Also, she looks as if she's smiling(the face reads as 'friendly') sochastising is out, too. 

I thinks she looks a bit curious and slightly amused.

*** Now what do we have here? Aren't you the most cute little things?***

*** Treasure? You're looking for treasure? Hmmm, the only thing I can think of is that of the Silver Dragon's Lair not far from here***

*** You might need some help with that I think...***

• Like 5

My original character idea inspired by Yephima was an eccentric alchemist giant girl. I even sculpted a witch hat onto her. She just looked fun and quirky to me. 

Now, this version, she looks like she's ready to hurl lighting bolts at you and bring down divine retribution for your sins. 

I'm gonna need two. One to be a giant and the other to be Wonder Woman ^_^ 

I'm too tired to remember if I've already said that :lol:

• Like 7

I'll be the one with the less popular opinion:

to me she always looked a bit like a pin-up. The bent over pose, with the very minimal clothing and the leg positioning look all quite posed to me. She is definetly choosing the more attractive way of beding down to talk to a smaller creature, leaving her legs and back rather straight and emphasizing her physique. 

I didn't know that she was ment to talk down to a humanoid, and from their position they would certainly get a different impression. But I'm seeing my miniatures, even the giant ones, as the even bigger giant from the outside, and from that position I also got a pin-up vibe.

I like her design and don't find the pose offensive or anything, but I get were people get their criticism from (and no, ofc they shouldn't insult anyone over the pose, that's not justified at all). I definetly like the new figure better, I like female creatures who look ready to fight and she definetly does that.

• Like 2

On 4/11/2019 at 11:32 PM, pcktlnt said:

Drools...

Cloud01.png.6fe5fe77a7721b19c88448d16cc0d1ee.png

1638066645_CloudScale.png.41a52b7d60b173eda766f7a1de80898f.png

Oh man... Yeah, I need that! That looks fantastic in Bones Black!

• Like 2

Define Projection.

The dirty-sex vibe doesn't show up until those who have it on their minds show up. 

I never take the reaction as a reflection of the Artist they are defaming. It is a reflection of what lies within the heart of the person who finds fault. 

People tell you a lot about themselves without knowing it. Be patient with them and the battle.within they are fighting. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Just saw someone's unboxing video for Bones 3, and he was going through the art book (need to get bones 3 artbook next reaper run, with the catalog), and Yephima concept artwork is in there.

Thanks, but I ended up changing my image search to make it more generic and her concept art popped up.  After looking at it the issue in discussion does start with izzy, not the sculptor.  First off Yephima is staring straight out, not down, so whomever she is leaning over for is about the same height she is, not an adventurer 1/3 her size.  The head-up pose is kept in the sculpt so she appears to be looking ahead.  Second the artwork pose is a bit awkward.  It would have gotten my hand slapped by my art teacher back in the day, because it's the kind of pose you get when you have an idea and go with it rather than testing it out first.  "Eh?" you say? Time for an exercise.

As a giant find yourself something the proper height to lord over, like your coffee table.  Now take a step towards it with your left leg, put your left hand on your knee, and lean forward so that you can feel the weight of your upper body transfer down from your left shoulder.  If you've done this as feels natural you likely have your left heel flat on the ground.  This is not how Yephima is standing though, so without altering your lean raise your left heel off of the ground, give it a slight twist, and have a conversation with your table. If you lasted very long congratulations, your legs are in fairly good shape.  Most people however will transfer their weight to their back leg when they raise their front heel, which is a more passive stance and what I meant by a weight distribution problem.  Unfortunately for Izzy, this is the same pose struck by women who are showing a little leg, from wild west saloon girls, to WWII pin-up art, to the Reaper strumpet, and yes, even strippers.  So while I have no need to proclaim it in KS comments doesn't mean I can't see it.

In conclusion, if Izzy wanted to convey the feel she stated, Yephima's head should be tilted forward so that she is actually looking down and her left heel should be flat on the ground.  Her left leg and arm should also be in line rather than having the slight twist that makes it appear she is showing off her calf muscle.

If you disagree feel free to include pics of yourself holding her pose, looking straight ahead while talking down to your coffee table.  ::P:

• Like 1

We're getting kind of off topic and rehashing something that happened a couple years ago, aren't we?

Probably best to just get back to the actual topic - this new giant mini and if the 'mystery project' is confirmed to be Bones 5

• Like 7