So I used to paint a ton, but that was maybe 10 years ago. I just started getting back into the hobby and I've run into an issue. 
Reaper used to make metal bases that were recessed. I know they sold them in square, maybe 1" or so. I'm pretty confident that they also sold them in round, but I'm not 100% on that.

Now I've been working on a mini project and the base that comes with the figure is abysmal. I was really hoping I could just clip the fig off the existing base and with the help of a little green stuff put it on a new metal base. I really prefer the feel and weight that a metal base would add to the figure.

It appears now that Reaper isn't selling those bases anymore. Does anyone know where I could either find some old inventory and pick up a handful of them, or does anyone know of another source that makes a similar product?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They’re not recessed, but I use metal fender washers.  They come in inch-based increments, and have the benefit of being magnetic.  

There are also precut steel square/rectangle bases available from various suppliers, though again, not recessed.

• Like 2

how recessed are we talking? Most of the bases reaper has have a slight recess or (using the ones that have come in the kickstarters) you could turn certain bases upside down and use the recess area that way. Either way, you could give them weight (like I do) with fender washers or pennies (if it's a tiny base) glued to the bottom.

They weren't that recessed from what I remember, maybe a 3mm or so. Just enough that I could get some green stuff and basing material inside and have it still look nice and clean as if they're standing on whatever surface rather than hovering above the base.

The recessed factor I could let go, I just really want metal bases.

I like the idea of gluing a washer to the bottom of a plastic base if it comes down to it. I just was hoping I wouldn't have to revert to a hacked solution.

• Like 1

Most likely these were the Warlord bases. Various online retailers still carry some stock but I do believe Reaper put them out to pasture when they made the bases plastic or at least when they introduced the various plastic bases.

I recall those as well.  After some google-fu to statisfy my curiousity, the sku for these bases are early in the 74000 series.  74006 was the sku for SMOOTH BASE SQUARE 1 INCH 4 IN PACK according to my pdf of casketworks 19.  74007 was a 1x2in base with a similar recess.  74005 and 74005 if hex is more your flavor.  Those are long discontinued though.

I came across a listing on ebay.ca, but they're looking very, very scarce.

@mikem91 Thanks for looking that up. You're probably right about those being warlord bases. At the time I was part of the Black Lightning team and I was demoing Warlord and running "Paint and Takes".

My google-fu hadn't been strong enough. The only things I'd found were some truly ancient pieces from the Dark Heaven line that were just flat squares with a slit, without the recess.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Citrine
      I finished some townsfolk recently, they snuck into the queue ahead of my halfpainted drow squad. 😮

Fruit seller in metal (SKU 4023):

Farmer and beggar in Bones (SKU 77665):

• By ced1106
      £40 / $55 for The Cast. Metal miniatures.
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackstone/rising-tides

• By Gadgetman!
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1662635043/dwarves-a-class-of-their-own/description

Story
      Long gone is the time of Dwarves in Midlam, a city built over the ruins of their Middle Home, which lay between the Lost Mountains and the Southern Holds.  The Barons of Midlam have always claimed their city was gifted to them by the dwarves of old, and claim an ancient alliance, although dwarves have rarely been seen in the city, and must register their presence with the Town Council.
      Far to the North, so they say, lies the Lost Mountains, a place of legend and dragons.  It is said that many years ago, a dwarf came to Midlam in secret, hired two guides and headed North, never to be seen again.  There was also rumours that a group of grizzled dwarven mercenaries made the journey, but they too disappeared into folklore.
      Now rumours abound of Dwarven Adventurers, heading North once more, into the perpetual freezing wastes.  The frightened chatter speaks of their desire to rid the Mountains of the orcs and goblins and return the Dwarven King to his throne.  Nobody knows what truly lies North, but people fear the return of the old wars, rampaging dragons and a dark evil that has no name...

Dwarves - A Class of their Own

A set of 12  Male and Female 28m scale Dwarf Miniatures of different Character Classes for all your Fantasy Games.

(two of the set. )
    • By Darcstaar
      I only saw one thread about crackle paste when I searched these forums.

So, I’m going to share how it’s going for me.

I started with washed and dried 1” and 2” Reaper Bases.

I put this garbage on a 2 inch base first.

Don’t buy it.  I got it at Hobby Lobby at the time because they were out of Folk Art.

To be clear, this is Crackle Medium.
      It is meant to be painted on a primed or rough surface I guess, and painted thin. I put it on kind of thick.  It didn’t crackle at all!

So, I got a tub of this stuff on Amazon.

The directions state “put over a thin layer of PVA glue.”  Pfft, who has time for that extra step?

Here is the result on a washed but otherwise un prepped set of bases.

1 inch

2 inch.

Lousy!
      So, the surface needs something for crackle paste to work right.

This is a 1” base with a thin layer of PVA glue.

This is a 1” base with just hitting it with 220 grit sandpaper and washing it again.

I also used the 2” base with dried crackle medium on it.  Not pictured.

This is a 2” base covered in black brush on primer.

Here is the result on the 2” base over dried crackle medium.  It was hard to get the stuff into a uniform layer, as the medium created a very hydrophobic surface, so the paste slides around too easy.
    • By Iridil
      This fellow has been lurking at the bottom of a drawer or box for over 30 years.... I finally painted him up. It was actually a bit irritating somehow... I guess that's why he sat in nothing more than a coat of primer and a red shield for so long! Not sure the maker, maybe citadel? He is on a metal part for the slot base that helpfully says 'orc'. All this time later, I love him just for nostalgia and remembering my dad painting up all those orcs... and we never used the minis in play!

• Who's Online   12 Members, 1 Anonymous, 26 Guests (See full list)