Rat13

Clearing out the "box of shame"

With my Cadian army nearly finished and my wife's army at a playable state I decided to take a break from 40k painting. Since I've been painting for our actual armies for so long I decided to start a new WIP thread rather than use my old random projects thread (the "Too Many Projects" thread will be replaced by this one).

But before getting too far ahead I'd like to show everyone just how bad my box got while painting for 40k and killteam. This of course doesn't include any GW boxes I may or may not have on hand to paint "just for fun". I swear I'll paint those Skaven sooner or later.20190414_211233.thumb.jpg.103be860c4b5ac54cee89800a0c018ce.jpg

Though some of the figures were closer to completion, I simply couldn't resist painting one I've had my eye on for months (I mean this quite literally as the figure sat on my lamp's base since I first got it and probably ended up in the background of many of my progress shots). When I first pulled this from a box of goodwill I knew exactly what I wanted to do. This figure just screamed Don Quixote, at least to me it did. So that's exactly how I painted it and though it may just be a simple paint job I'm already thinking about creating a new character just to use it.20190414_210148.thumb.jpg.26286afacda76654f345218b6fb7c69d.jpg20190414_210200.thumb.jpg.7b11c230eba2f3926fbe4712517361ac.jpg

• Like 17

4 hours ago, Rat13 said:

I swear I'll paint those Skaven sooner or later.

This sounds... Familiar for some reason... :devil:  *hides the almost three dozen Skaven that have been on his desk for months*  ack, they're even on my turntables! 

Definitely an interesting mix of various projects you've got there! 

• Like 6

Chaaaarge!

He does look like he's eager to join battle!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

This sounds... Familiar for some reason... :devil:  *hides the almost three dozen Skaven that have been on his desk for months*  ack, they're even on my turntables! 

Definitely an interesting mix of various projects you've got there! 

At the moment I just have a single box of them but I've told myself over and over that they'll be the next project. Yet they continue to sit in my desk unassembled, at least they're off the sprue right?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rat13 said:

At the moment I just have a single box of them but I've told myself over and over that they'll be the next project. Yet they continue to sit in my desk unassembled, at least they're off the sprue right?

Indeed!  Off the sprue is a good start, doubly so when it becomes "assembled, but not primed" ^_^

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Indeed!  Off the sprue is a good start, doubly so when it becomes "assembled, but not primed" ^_^

Well they've been off the sprue for about a year now, maybe more because I clipped and cleaned them at our old place. I'd like to think that means I'll assemble them soon but I doubt it, too many other things to do.

• Like 4

So I started this project in an attempt to clear my box of shame before Bones IV arrives (Wave 3 but I bought a hut so go figure), then I immediately became distracted. What can I say other than I was trying to finish my box for my circuit in the current round of the box of goodwill. Add to that Xbox giving away the old Star Wars Battlefront 2 for free and you can see how painting took a backseat for awhile.

With my box sent off and my old school battlefront thirst satiated though I'm back. Like usual in this hobby a break just lead to more work. While attempting to round off my box for the goodwill circuit I stumbled upon a few miniatures I couldn't resist; I found three space mouslings. Which of course meant a little mental justification was neccessary that went a little like this, "I really want to paint those, I have a warhammer friend that would probably get a kick out of them, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind a comical gift of some mice." So here they are assembled but as of yet unprimed.20190425_005945.thumb.jpg.f9cb1204a8117ba97b7314ebf3f86508.jpg

Now that brings us to tonight. I think I managed to make some progress by attaching bases to some miniatures and painting six to completion. Though admittedly two were finished except for some details and one just needed a wash, even so they are finished now.

First up were the two dwarves. One needed some detail work mostly on his pole and crossbow, while the other only needed "the face" attached to his pole. So they were pretty quick.20190425_014620.thumb.jpg.5e2a39c630d1db21bfb0faa1428016d2.jpg20190425_014637.thumb.jpg.7ecdd172469d652399e240f2c6d82950.jpg

Next was a snakeman sitting on a throne that I had pulled from the last round of the box of goodwill. I thought about painting his robes green but quickly dismissed this idea in favor of a color I've never used before. I think I made the right choice and though I thought about applying a wash to the figure I decided to keep the nice crisp colors as they are. 20190425_014723.thumb.jpg.336977385de7688dbc93d57573f822dc.jpg

Then I tried to paint a figure I have tried to paint twice now. This is a viking figure from an old game (the ship version of castles and catapults, I can't recall the actual name and I don't feel like looking it up as I write this). Honestly I think this is about as good as this one is going to get. A lot of the details were lost after priming it and in the end this one was more of a "can I paint this" figure as apposed to "should I paint this". He just wasn't made for painting, but I tried.20190425_014750.thumb.jpg.753f23a993a56f743a209e098d9029d2.jpg20190425_014759.thumb.jpg.b767b8a4e772167105a75462296c23ad.jpg

During the wash process for the viking I managed to finish a kobold from when I first started painting, because all it really needed was a wash. It looks tolerable now, mainly because I didn't feel like stripping it and starting again. I'm chalking it up as I learned a thing or two since then but I don't feel like correcting all the mistakes.20190425_014811.thumb.jpg.534c68d91626511e9ff39e1956bee053.jpg

Finally I painted up a Reaper ninja, which I had also pulled from the last box of goodwill. I doubt the camera will truly capture it but I painted his outfit in a dark purple I mixed up with the only true black being his belt and the hilt of his sword. This miniature's color scheme was decided the moment I pulled it from the box and it was certainly an easy miniature to paint but the colors came out even better than I imagined.20190425_014829.thumb.jpg.44404996e5f4f651b075a200c7202533.jpg

With any luck my next post won't take so long or be quite so long. Seriously I better get cracking if I'm going to paint this collection before the kickstarter arrives.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Never saw that snakeman before, what a nice mini!

I thought so too; I don't know anything about it and briefly considered trying to find out more but I realized that was a slippery slope. I can easily see me trying to buy more and creating a council of snakemen. So I decided not to investigate.

The miniature is metal with the letters "Rafm" stamped into the bottom of it, just in case you'd like to investigate. I could certainly see this having a place in one of your projects/collections.20190425_075908.thumb.jpg.ccb6e8c978f74aef43db58815af120de.jpg

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Rat13 said:

I thought so too; I don't know anything about it and briefly considered trying to find out more but I realized that was a slippery slope. I can easily see me trying to buy more and creating a council of snakemen. So I decided not to investigate.

The miniature is metal with the letters "Rafm" stamped into the bottom of it, just in case you'd like to investigate. I could certainly see this having a place in one of your projects/collections.20190425_075908.thumb.jpg.ccb6e8c978f74aef43db58815af120de.jpg

RAFM is a Company.

I have old catalogues somewhere, I should be able to find that one now.

Probably one of their Reptiliad range.

Is it small? Like true 25mm?

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

RAFM is a Company.

I have old catalogues somewhere, I should be able to find that one now.

Probably one of their Reptiliad range.

Probably one of the figures from the Tanth Shaman Command, RAFM03013, but I don't get a photo on their catalog page for that SKU. It's part of their Reptiliad line.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

20190425_094718.thumb.jpg.850b11f72bdf91f9953d6663ecee2788.jpg

It's pretty small, I think it may be more akin to a historical or Bolt Action in size.

• Like 5

So it goes without saying I got distracted yet again. I blame Mordheim on Xbox, well that and a low will save on Bones IV. Instead of working on my backlog I added to it instead. 20190504_220742.thumb.jpg.e3d2bb91dc0650408de5f5aac5bcdc01.jpg

I fully admit I'm that guy, I waited two years to paint a bunch of generic guardsmen, and a few dice.

My Imperial Guard even got in on the fun too. I told my buddies in our gaming group chat that I bought some new vehicles.20190504_220727.thumb.jpg.e84ddc441cd790f44e27f1463dc134ec.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 3