Avriel

wounds and bruises for non red-blooded creatures

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I finally got up the courage to post since I'm really stuck and from reading this seems like one of the nicest, most helpful forums I've ever seen.

Has anyone tried painting wounds and bruises on monsters that don't have red blood? I'm painting a slightly green-skinned monster that I imagine as having green blood and wanted to add lots of wounds, but then I got stuck at the colour stage. I thought about painting wounds as normal and then adding a blue glaze, but that would still give purple and look like old red blood. A green glaze might just turn it browny and if i just replace all the normal bruisey colours with green ones it might not read as wounds, as it's not something you see often. Unfortunately there aren't many real world references to go off either. I can find plenty of great tutorials for red-blooded wounds, just not green ones.

If it helps, the model is the fomorian from the Dungeons and dragons model line and the skin is mostly moldy skin with ghoul skin, highland moss and jungle moss in the shadows for colour (All reaper msp), so it's not vibrant green. I could just do it as a normal red-blooded undead instead, but now that I've run into this problem I'm curious as to what solutions people might have.

Thanks for any suggestions!

IMG_20190417_092308[1].jpg

• Like 2

Since red blooded bruises start deep purple, then fading to blues as they spread outward, I would use a deeper green center, then use some gradual blues added in, fading out. Unfortunately, I have had lots of them over the years...

• Like 2

Tamiya Clear Red can be used to create blood effects. I think there's a Tamiya Clear Blue and Tamiya Clear Green, so hopefully you can do the same for these colors.

Search on "tamiya clear red blood effect miniatures".

BTW, Human blood is dark red when it doesn't have oxygen. Blood from a vein becomes bright red when the wound is exposed to air. 

Tubeworms have green blood. "Tubeworms have green blood due to the protein Chlorocruorin. The blood turns light green when it is deoxygenated but turns a darker green when oxygenated." : http://seaa.rwsentosablog.com/different-coloured-blood/

Skinks also have green blood. : https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/150312-blood-antarctica-octopus-animals-science-colors/

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ced1106 said:

Tamiya Clear Red can be used to create blood effects. I think there's a Tamiya Clear Blue and Tamiya Clear Green, so hopefully you can do the same for these colors.

Search on "tamiya clear red blood effect miniatures".

BTW, Human blood is dark red when it doesn't have oxygen. Blood from a vein becomes bright red when the wound is exposed to air. 

Tubeworms have green blood. "Tubeworms have green blood due to the protein Chlorocruorin. The blood turns light green when it is deoxygenated but turns a darker green when oxygenated." : http://seaa.rwsentosablog.com/different-coloured-blood/

Skinks also have green blood. : https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/150312-blood-antarctica-octopus-animals-science-colors/

To build on what ced1106 is saying, perhaps bruises on a creature with green blood would appear as significantly light areas beneath the skin! Kinda the reverse. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for all the ideas! I have the citadel clear glazes but no tamiya stuff, hopefully they'll work much the same. Perhaps blood for the blood god mixed with green will give something reasonable.

I might try a bunch of these ideas on paper and see what happens when I get time. I might post a picture if any turn out good, could be a useful reference for the next person.

Thanks for the links ced1106, I had been looking at horseshoe crabs but didn't even think about tubeworms! I should clarify I can find references for things with green or blue blood, but images of their bruises is harder to find.

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum!

The human skin may vary from milky white to pretty dark off-black, and the blood is still red...
why do you think greenskin will have green blood? They may have red blood!
Red blood wounds on a greenskin will look great! And for bruises you may try to use a brownish purple fading to muted lilac and a lighter greenskin tone on the edges.
Just ideas :)

Edited by Cicciopiu
Grammar :/