MoebiusStrip

Bones mini turning sticky after a while

I just pulled out a mini and it was sticky/tacky. The curious thing is that it was fine before, i.e. I painted it, clearcoated with liquitex gloss varnish and sprayed it with a matt varnish (so I also could get the basing matt). It tried fine and was not sticky.

Now the mini is sticky and also regained a glossy sheen, the base is fine so probably not purely an effect of the spray, the gloss varnish/spray combo I have used before and without problem (even on bones minis, although those were primed). But I would assume that the gloss varnish would prevent any interaction of spray and mini.

Anyone had this before and or has tips how to unsticky the mini?

Currently I'm putting it in a warm place to see if whatever reaction is going on will sort itself out.

Paints used were Reaper/Army Painter/Vallejo Game Color and Model Color. The only ones I've not used before are the VGC and VMC but I can't imagine this reaction comming from these paints specifically.

The mini was 77026 if that makes any difference (pic attached before the matt spray).

final-gloss.jpg

Edited by MoebiusStrip
more info
  • Like 2

I'm not familiar with this.

Where did you display/store the mini?

Under what conditions?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MoebiusStrip said:

Normal room conditions in a platsic box from ikea, like my other minis really. So nothing  special.

Strange.

I have sealed most of my paitned bones in either Reaper Brush on Sealer or Army Painter Anti Shine Varnish Spray.

Never had this happen before.

What would happen if you resealed it with a brush on sealer?

Maybe that would help?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Glitterwolf said:

What would happen if you resealed it with a brush on sealer?

Maybe that would help?

Maybe, I'll wait a bit and see it the reaction ends itself.

After that I'll try a brush on matt varnish and see how that goes.

• Like 2

These threads have some suggestions, such as Dullcoat. The problem is that you would need to isolate the variables (plastic, primer, paint, varnish, etc.) to see what's reacting with what.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/840044/minis-still-tacky

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/572512/miniatures-painted-using-dip-method-getting-tacky

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MoebiusStrip said:

Maybe, I'll wait a bit and see it the reaction ends itself.

After that I'll try a brush on matt varnish and see how that goes.

I had a large dragon go sticky on my while painting it, but I have just left it alone for a while and the tackiness seems to have gone (checked last week as I need to finish him one day...).  Not sure if it's dust so he's going to get a gentle rinse in cool water but so far, the issue seems to have resolved itself.  I had mixed a little vallejo gloss coat in with a wash I did, and I'm thinking that did it based on timing and otherwise only basic paint went on him.  

• Like 4

I've used both Reaper brush on sealer, and I predominantly use Testor's Dullcote and have never had this issue. I hope you find some resolution that doesn't ruin your work!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MoebiusStrip said:

... sprayed it with a matt varnish ....

This is a known problem with Bones minis. Sometimes it happens quickly and sometimes it can (as in your case) take months. From what I've seen, I think it's an interaction between the plasticizer in the Bones plastic and the solvent in the spray varnish (or paint or primer).

I'm afraid I don't have any solutions for the mini this has already happened to. It might resolve, but from what I'm hearing it likely won't resolve quickly (at all). In the future, I'd recommend brush on matting agent, whether from Reaper or someone else and not using spray finishes at all. (Some people have reported success with particular brands of sprays, but I don't know how long they have waited or what sample size they have available.)

It might be worth mentioning that airbrushed acrylic paints, primers, and varnishes have not exhibited this behavior.

• Like 7

I don't know paint chemistry at all but wouldn't having several layers of paint between the Bones material and the varnish create a barrier and stop the two from ever meeting?

Unless it creates a partial barrier and the varnish seeps through slowly over time maybe?

• Like 3

I've got a couple of Bones that I got some years ago and spray-primed in my ignorance. In humid weather they go tacky; in dry conditions, they get back to almost-normal.

I do know that soaking in Simple Green or other paint-cleaning solvents will remove the paint. Does anyone know if stripping and repainting a sticky Bones mini without primer solves the problem?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Rigel said:

I do know that soaking in Simple Green or other paint-cleaning solvents will remove the paint. Does anyone know if stripping and repainting a sticky Bones mini without primer solves the problem?

Yes it does.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

This is a known problem with Bones minis. Sometimes it happens quickly and sometimes it can (as in your case) take months. From what I've seen, I think it's an interaction between the plasticizer in the Bones plastic and the solvent in the spray varnish (or paint or primer).

I'm afraid I don't have any solutions for the mini this has already happened to. It might resolve, but from what I'm hearing it likely won't resolve quickly (at all). In the future, I'd recommend brush on matting agent, whether from Reaper or someone else and not using spray finishes at all. (Some people have reported success with particular brands of sprays, but I don't know how long they have waited or what sample size they have available.)

Damn :(

12 hours ago, Rignes said:

several layers of paint between the Bones material and the varnish create a barrier and stop the two from ever meeting

I would have assumed the same.

Thanks for the info. BTW never seen simple green around here, what is a mainland europe substitute?

14 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

airbrushed

Don't have one. Any suggestions of matting down basing stuff like the leaves on the mini that are glossy from PVA sealing? Brushing on matte varnish on that is a nightmare and sprays are apparently not a good idea either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MoebiusStrip said:

what is a mainland europe substitute?

Non-acetone nail polish removers and toothbrush work perfect. Just wear a pair of gloves (nitrile), as is still a solvent. (didn't tried on resin yet)
You may also try AK Paint stripper and an old brush, works like a charm, but is more expensive. << it works with resin too!
(I use both and it is a matter of seconds to strip a plastic mini)

About a matting agent, "AK ultra matte varnish" is incredible, even if it's a brush on (or airbrush) solution it is pretty easy to use, as comes very fluid and solvents free; never seen something soooo matt before this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2