MoebiusStrip

Bones mini turning sticky after a while

2 hours ago, MoebiusStrip said:

But acetone is rather volatile is it not? Wouldn't that run counter to the my observation of the tackiness appearing a while after spray painting it?

Maybe... It’s just that I have had tacky issues with every acetone propelled spray whereas the non-acetone matte sprays seem to have no issues. I’ve even had the problem you described, where it was coated and was not tacky but then months later became tacky. I’m not a chemical person by any means, and so I may be misinterpreting the cause.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cicciopiu said:

Acetone will melt the plastic! I said Non-Acetone nail polish removers.

Also will melt plastic based fabrics. Dripped some acetone nail polish remover on a favorite pair of pants at one point. That was a very sad day as a spot on the thigh of my favorite hot-pants became a blob of goop :down:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 5

7 hours ago, Cicciopiu said:

I said Non-Acetone nail polish removers.

I know, it was not targeted at you. Maybe I remember stripping metal minis or something else.

What is interesting is that the spray I used claims to be useable on styrofoam, which also usually melted by acetone.

BTW this is what I used: https://www.motipdupli.com/en/products/dupli-color/decoration/color/ipg-1048.html (Don't know why I did not include that earlier).

I also just saw that they have a 'aqua' product line which

The environmental-friendly spray paint - 90 % of the solvents have been replaced by water. ‥. suitable for use on polystyrene

Quite a bit more pricey though.

• Like 3

On 4/23/2019 at 9:58 AM, Pingo said:

The Mousling sets come on sprues, as do the familiar sets.

So I had a look and turns out my mouselings are mostly the space variety, which is one per pack or metal which does not come with a bones sprue ...

But I've seen in this thread (about bones 4 goblins) that the bones 4 gobos come with a sprue, so even if the sprays arrive soon, I'll wait for bones4 to also arrive. Might take a while since I'm EU based.

Quick update on the dragon: Still sticky, the wing I brushed over with liquitex matte varnish stayed non sticky.

I will coat the whole dragon in the varnsih.

Many of the sets of multiple small figures (e.g. kobolds, giant rats, goblins) come on sprues, in case you don't feel like waiting for the Bones 4 figures to hit retail.

So Bones4 stuff arrived, very nice boxes and sprues. I have to say that the filler miniatures that hold the sprues and stuff the boxes are also super nice :lol:.

Anyway I assembled bits of the box and sprue to get test patches. I used the kobold and goblin sprues (cut in half), and since they seemed to be a bit stiffer than the old white sprues I used those as well, from mouselings. I wanted to see if gesso would prevent stickiness or not (the dragon was one of the few minis I did not prime).

Since there was space I also added paint from different manufacturers to see if that does anything (don't suspect it will, but you never know).

spraytestpatch.jpg

So:

• B4 ... bones 4 sprue from kobold set and goblin set
  • G ... Same sprue as B4 (the sprue was cut in half) primed with liquitex black gesso.
  • M ... Part of an older mouseling sprue
  • R ... Reaper color (09459 Ogre Skin)
  • V ... Vallejo color (72.147 Game Extra Opaque Heavy BlackGreen)
  • AP ... Army Painter color (WP1142 Chaotic Red)
  •  

What I will use to test:

• Dupli-Color Matte Spray, the original culprit, see above posts.
  • Acetone (I'll brush that on, included due to Pegazus suspicion, I'll try a super light brushing on to simulated low amounts from spray)
  • Vallejo Acrylic Matt Varnish (28.531)
  • Army Painter Anti Shine Matt Varnish
  • Liquitex Professional Matt Varnish

The liquitex one is still on it's way, when its here I'll spray all and then wait and see.

Update on the dragon: The liquitex brush on matt varnish so far has kept the dragon non-sticky.

Edited by MoebiusStrip
  • Like 3

I got stickiness from using Reaper Black and White primer to make grey when painting one of the D&D boardgame sets, which are also PVC plastic minis. I mixed the primers together, came back a few days later and they were all sticky. Nothing but primer on them, and they were washed before painting, but I coated them with the Folk Art G&T and they've been fine ever since.

Hard to tell when it's gonna happen, but it's most likely off-gassing due to the curing process possibly combined with the interaction with whatever is in the plastic.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 5:31 PM, IgwanaRob said:

stickiness from using Reaper Black and White primer to make grey when painting one of the D&D boardgame sets, which are also PVC plastic minis

Yeah seems to be overall pretty unpredictable. I had very little problems so far with hard plastics from GW, Mantic, Northstar etc. Bones is a notably different material though, thus the tests.

Anyway spray update:

Sprayed all, used a napkin to dab on the acetone. First observations:

1) The liquitex spray has a very much wider dispersion and needed a bit more of a shakeup, the agitator ball seemed a bit lighter than the others.

2) The acetone disolved the paint (not super surprising there): The V green basically disintegrated the moment the napkin came near, the AP and R needed a bit of rubbing to get them going. R seemed to be a bit more resilient than AP but that might be only apparent since the yellow is a much harder to see color (at least compared to the dark green and red). The gesso was also disolved, but also took some rubbing.

spraytestpatch-acetone.jpg.464f8604e71be9c510dd1b4b9dc80e51.jpg

Overall the take away is that model color needs a protective coat after painting. Reaper are, IIRC, formulated to be more resilient and AP seems to be the same in this regard.

• Like 2

Roughly 5-7 days after first application update:

• Dupli-Color Matte Spraytacky
    TACKY (B4, G and M), so this was my original culprit.
  • Acetone
    NOT tacky (B4, G and M), this as part of the propellant is not the reason for tackyness.
  • Vallejo Acrylic Matt Varnish (28.531)
    NOT tacky (B4, G and M)
  • Army Painter Anti Shine Matt Varnish
    MINIMAL tackyness (B4 and M) , seems to be ever so slightly tacky but barely noticable. I would not have noticed had I not other samples to compare. G is NOT tacky at all. So I would say even a single coat of paint would prevent this. Not optimal but very useable.
  • Liquitex Professional Matt Varnish
    SOME tackyness ( B4, G and M), more than army painter but less than Dupli-Color.

Interestingly around here the vallejo is also the cheapest version. Followed by the army painter one. So more expensive seems to mean more tackyness :)

The old and new (don't know if there really is a difference) bones material seems to behave exactly the same when it comes to sprays so far.

Colors (R, V and AP) showed no furhter ill effects for any spray.

Edited by MoebiusStrip
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, MoebiusStrip said:

So more expensive seems to mean more tackyness :)

Keep up the science! :winkthumbs:

I just painted some Oh Rats with craft paints as the first coat. If Reaper says I don't need primer, sure, I'll do less work! :;):

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ced1106 said:

If Reaper says I don't need primer, sure, I'll do less work

Yeah works fine, the dragon I did was also unprimed just undercoated.

Works well as long as you don't thin your paints too much.

I’ve had Bones varnished with Liquitex gloss varnish followed by Lascaux matte varnish sticky.  A couple of applications of Golden gloss varnish (followed by the Lascaux matte) helps.

I prime Bones with Stynylrez primer if I prime.

Ron

• Like 1