MoebiusStrip

Bones mini turning sticky after a while

On 5/20/2019 at 11:44 AM, vutpakdi said:

Bones varnished with Liquitex gloss varnish followed by Lascaux matte varnish sticky

I used liquitex varnish, usually gloss followed by matt varnish, on almost all of my bones minis and never had the problem.

Update roughly 2 weeks after application:

• Dupli-Color Matte Spraytacky
    TACKY (B4, G and M),  unchanged
  • Acetone
    NOT tacky (B4, G and M), unchanged
  • Vallejo Acrylic Matt Varnish (28.531)
  • Army Painter Anti Shine Matt Varnish
    MINIMAL tackyness (B4 and M), slightly less tacky than before I guess. It's very slight and hard to differentiate.
  • Liquitex Professional Matt Varnish
    MINIMAL tackyness ( B4, G and M), changed to roughly the Army Painter level.
    This was applied about two days after the Army painte rone, so might well be the same  and the first test was just soon enough to feel the difference.
On 4/26/2019 at 10:51 AM, MoebiusStrip said:

Quick update on the dragon: Still sticky, the wing I brushed over with liquitex matte varnish stayed non sticky.

I will coat the whole dragon in the varnsih.

Still not sticky. Although in hindsight I would put this at a level slightly less tacky than the  army painter from the above test (now that I know the difference).

Totally fine for me as is.

A note on the MINIMAL tackyness: When I touch this in isolation I am unsuer. I always have to do a comparison with the truly non-tacky stuff to notice the difference. Without that I would say it's not tacky. Just to give an idea about how minimal this is.

Edited by MoebiusStrip
  • Like 1

I need the space for the samples so I'll throw them out and I thought I would do a final update (roughly two months after the last):

• Dupli-Color Matte Spray
    TACKY (B4, G and M),  unchanged
  • Acetone
  • Vallejo Acrylic Matt Varnish (28.531)
  • Army Painter Anti Shine Matt Varnish
    SOME tackyness (B4, G and M), so this got more tacky and unlike minimal tackyness is noticable in isolation. The tackyness also affects the G (gesso primed) sample.
  • Liquitex Professional Matt Varnish
    NOT tacky ( B4, G and M), lost basically all of it's tackyness as far as I can tell, took a while though

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1