Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Evilbookworm

Scifi guns with fantasy minis

Recommended Posts

So I'm starting a steampunk campaign shortly, and want to do some minis for them.  I have a fair bit of old 40k bits, and I feel like the sci-fi guns (painted brown and copper ofc) with fantasy miniatures will work well.  (especially with a good chunk of bones 4 coming in I don't see why I should buy a bunch of new minis... though I didn't get the chronoscope expansion because I didn't realize I was doing that campaign at the time of ordering).  My questions are:  

1.  for the US, where would be a good place to buy the bits I need?  (ideally 5-7$ for packs of weapons and such).

2.  Does resin (what most of these places use) bond well using glue to the bones material?  What about metal, if I decide to go with the reaper metal guns/weapons?  

3.  Is there going to be a scale issue with bones-other stuff?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Evilbookworm said:

So I'm starting a steampunk campaign shortly, and want to do some minis for them.  I have a fair bit of old 40k bits, and I feel like the sci-fi guns (painted brown and copper ofc) with fantasy miniatures will work well.  (especially with a good chunk of bones 4 coming in I don't see why I should buy a bunch of new minis... though I didn't get the chronoscope expansion because I didn't realize I was doing that campaign at the time of ordering).  My questions are:  

1.  for the US, where would be a good place to buy the bits I need?  (ideally 5-7$ for packs of weapons and such).

2.  Does resin (what most of these places use) bond well using glue to the bones material?  What about metal, if I decide to go with the reaper metal guns/weapons?  

3.  Is there going to be a scale issue with bones-other stuff?

1. most of the weapons sets I know of are metal, bombshell has some nice little ones, as does hasslefree. you maaaay also want to look up warhammer dwarf bits and warhammer 40k adeptus mechanicus bits as they're both pretty steam punk to start

yeah superglue will stick either metal or resin to bones but keep in mind if you use big metal or resin weapons on a bones arm, you may have issues with it bending the arms

3. maybe? which bones minis are you using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

1. most of the weapons sets I know of are metal, bombshell has some nice little ones, as does hasslefree. you maaaay also want to look up warhammer dwarf bits and warhammer 40k adeptus mechanicus bits as they're both pretty steam punk to start

yeah superglue will stick either metal or resin to bones but keep in mind if you use big metal or resin weapons on a bones arm, you may have issues with it bending the arms

3. maybe? which bones minis are you using?

3.  Unsure which ones.   I want to have some Ogres with larger weapons (the idea of an ogre with a gatling gun appeals to me on a personal level) but mostly I want to have some basic cultists with pistols and similar.  I do have a set of elite troops with heavy weapons and armor, I'm considering using 40k Terminators for the base mini for an example.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Evilbookworm said:

3.  Unsure which ones.   I want to have some Ogres with larger weapons (the idea of an ogre with a gatling gun appeals to me on a personal level) but mostly I want to have some basic cultists with pistols and similar.  I do have a set of elite troops with heavy weapons and armor, I'm considering using 40k Terminators for the base mini for an example.  

well, if you are looking at using the core set, the size is generally fine, but you'll run into some issues with hand position. not impossible but you may need to swap out some hands or arms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I figured I may have to.  I'll look to see, perhaps get some bionics.  I appreciate the two links, those sprues are a lot cheaper.  Didn't realize metal was so much cheaper than resin.  Wierd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Evilbookworm said:

I figured I may have to.  I'll look to see, perhaps get some bionics.  I appreciate the two links, those sprues are a lot cheaper.  Didn't realize metal was so much cheaper than resin.  Wierd.

Metal gets expensive with mass. Small accessory sprues are light.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...