Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Darth DaDa

First Try at Converion

Recommended Posts

I enjoy painting, but I've always been hesitant to convert mini's into something new. The whole green stuff sculpting thing is not in my wheel house. My kids want me to take them on a D&D adventure and I needed (wanted) a Nothic figure. There seems to be a lack of good figures available, so I decided to make my own. I started with the Reaper 77028 Gargoyle in plastic. I liked the pose and the shape of the figure. (side note, the plastic is really soft, great for cutting but the wings were twisted out of the package and I don't know how I would fix that if I was using the mini as a winged gargoyle). To convert the figure, I kept it real simple (sorry for the bad lighting on pics)




Took Reaper 77028 Gargoyle out of the package. Clipped the wings. Cut off the eyes. Drilled and pinned the back and face




Did my green stuff sculpting. took about five tries with the eye and I still don't like it

let the green stuff dry and did some shaping with knife, files, and spruce nippers




Finished with part I like best, painting.

This turned out to be pretty fun and not as difficult as I thought.

This is not a "How To" post, it's more of a "You Can Do It" post

For $5 in material (including figure) and a couple hours over three days - I have a Nothic

Anyone out there hesitant to try - just go for it


Edited by Darth DaDa
  • Like 20

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea what a nothic is supposed to look like but I love that eyeball! Great job all around. The first step is always the hardest. I hope you keep it up.

  • Like 5

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the Forum!


Great conversion, you nailed it!


As for the wings being out of shape, this material is called Bones.

If you put it in hot water, take it out and bend the warped part into the right shape, then put it in ice cold water, it will usually fix the problem.

Just so you know should you encounter another warped part on a Bones mini.


That being said, I'm actually happy you didn't know how to fix the wings, because we wouldn't have seen this awesome Nothic then!

Good job!

  • Like 5

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

WELCOME ABOARD! You are a natural. The Beasty is BEAUTIFULLY converted & painted. VERY WELL & IMAGINATIVELY DONE!

  • Like 4

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Darth DaDa said:

Thanks for the compliments and support.

And thanks Glitterwolf on how to reshape the Bones figures


You're welcome.

The complete Article can be found here:



  • Thanks 2

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Chris Palmer
      Back in November I posted over on the Conversion WIP sub-forum about a mounted figure I was making using the Bones 4 Giant Rhinoceros Beetle and the Mudcroak Squog figure: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/93699-frog-riding-beetle-conversion/
      This past week I finally got around to painting the converted figure, and I  wanted to share the results.

    • By Adrift
      Here is a conversion I did using a Bones Ghast. I like to use Nothics as spies, infiltrators and recurring villains in my DND game.
      I used copper wire as a starting point for spiky prominences on his back, added some spikes on his elbows and lastly, sculpted a central eye to cover the top of the ghast's face. I'm happy with the result, despite having to use painting skills to cover up the sub-par sculpting skills. 

    • By OvantheWise
      I was asked to paint Amiri (89005) in a classic wonder woman inspired paint theme, and I matched Virina (03084) to some concept art that was drawn by a player. both characters are being used for a marvel super hero game and come from foreign planets. For Amiri I removed her sword and pinned the ne staff threw the hand grip that was left over from the sword. As for Virina sense I knew I was going to have to free hand he cloths onto a nude figurine I started by sanding down her nipples and coating the part of the model where her top would be in Taniya White. I've noticed this paint tends to dry hard and smooth and would look more like the leather top and pants that are described the players, character description. I hope you like what you've seen I post here a fair amount but I post to my FB page more if you would like to check out my work there it would be appreciated

    • By Sabith
      I'm running the D&D 5e starter set for my friends, and in the absence of a proper nothic miniature from any manufacturer that I could find (DDM prepainted minis don't count :P) I decided to make my own.  This is my first attempt at doing a conversion with green stuff.  The tiik model had the right posture and it's appendages looked like they didn't need any work.  It just screamed "easy conversion!" so I went for it.  Obviously my sculpting skills are pretty rudimentary, but I think I did a convincing enough job.  The paint job was actually a little rushed, too, as I didn't finish him until the night before I needed him for the game.  Anyhow, thanks for looking.
  • Who's Online   25 Members, 3 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)

  • Create New...