SilenzZzz

a GW ork i am working on for local painting contesst

Good day, i have been painting for a little while, but recently i have tried to push myself further... this is my second mini to do for LGS painting contest (i won the first one they did) .... have about a week left to finish him. so i am planning a little more highlights and more work on the weapons....

if it wasn't for a local friend i would still be painting in blocked colors and calling it done, but he keeps pushing me to try more hah! 

i am open for input and criticism on him... :)

20190420_204207.jpg

20190420_204222.jpg

20190420_204235.jpg

20190420_204249.jpg

IMG_20190409_205718_358.jpg

IMG_20190414_201147_900.jpg

Edited by SilenzZzz
  • Like 12

He doesn’t appear “3D” enough. While your highlights are good your shadows needs to be much deeper.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Valthorn_Illian said:

Don't know why I keep pushing you on this one, I'm competing too.

because you like talking about the hobby as much as i do? :) 

9 minutes ago, Heisler said:

He doesn’t appear “3D” enough. While your highlights are good your shadows needs to be much deeper.

i have another layer of a black wash drying right now in the sections between the plates, i got a little carried away with the blue at first and have had to work backwards to get some of it darker again ... and still scared to mess with the fur to much. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, SilenzZzz said:

because you like talking about the hobby as much as i do? :) 

i have another layer of a black wash drying right now in the sections between the plates, i got a little carried away with the blue at first and have had to work backwards to get some of it darker again ... and still scared to mess with the fur to much. 

A wash is good on the chainmail and the fur, but I wouldn't do that on the rest of him unless you're really trying to speed paint for an army. Try manually placing your shadows with darker tones of the existing colors. It gives you more control over the shadows. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cyradis said:

A wash is good on the chainmail and the fur, but I wouldn't do that on the rest of him unless you're really trying to speed paint for an army. Try manually placing your shadows with darker tones of the existing colors. It gives you more control over the shadows. 

i did that a couple of times near the crevices and sections of the armor but it didn't seem to stand out much, so went with the black wash. i guess the right word would be a pin wash? i lined it just into the creases and such and not over the whole armor, will look at it once it dries tomorrow and take more photos. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cyradis said:

THIS!

And I like him!

• Like 4

i have to turn this model in tomorrow... so i am calling it done ... will try to push myself more on the next three out the box this came from.

20190427_093006.jpg

20190427_093024.jpg

20190427_093045.jpg

20190427_093107.jpg

• Like 10

I think the light might be to bright in the pictures and it’s getting a bit washed out.

1 minute ago, Heisler said:

I think the light might be to bright in the pictures and it’s getting a bit washed out.

Yeah, there's some good black lining in places that don't show up here. And that fur actually looks pretty slick.