waska

Reaper MSP HD to Reaper MSP Bones Conversion

Is there a conversion chart somewhere or a list of colors for the HD lines and how they map to the 'new' Bones HD line replacement? I am trying to compare colors and all charts online utilize the HD line and not sure how I can tie in the HD line with the Bones HD lines which I have.

This is the conversion chart I am using and as you can see there is only the HD line. So trying to figure out which of the Bones HD to substitute in.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xl-x9eW3bLw5eqDeNUG2JUwn2EZwn34TDKfNIg5uul4/edit#gid=8

Thanks all for your input.

Reaper Bones: 

Image result for reaper hd msp color chart

HD Set 1:

HD Set 2:

HD Set 3:

image.jpeg

No, there is no conversion guide between the Bones and HD paints.

There is unlikely to be one since I believe the Bones paint line was originally designed to complement the HD paint line.  (There was a comment made to this effect but I can't immediately find it.)  Some of the HD paints will be rereleased into the Bones line.  The list provided on Facebook on March 1 was:

9467 Crimson Red (formerly 29801)
9468 Brilliant Red (formerly 29802)
9469 Fireball Orange (formerly 29806)
9470 Golden Yellow (formerly 29808)
9471 Bright Turquoise (formerly 29813)
9472 Dragon Blue (formerly 29815)
9473 Gem Purple (formerly 29820)
9474 Caucasian Flesh (formerly 29823)
9475 Maiden Flesh (formerly 29824)
9476 Witchcraft Purple (formerly 29841)
9477 Solid White (formerly 29842)
9478 Solid Black (formerly 29843)
9479 Blue Flame (formerly 29844)
9480 Woodland Brown (formerly 29828)
9481 Suntan Flesh (formerly 29822)

(Credit to @Harrek for posting this.)

I suspect we're seeing a delay on this due to the Bones 4 Kickstarter fulfillment.

Please note that until these actually go on sale, the set of HD paints being rereleased could be changed without warning.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Awh nuts. I guess I should have done more research. My gathering initially was that the HD paints were being discontinued and Bones HD was taking its place - a re-branding of sorts. So assumed the colors were 'the same' and altered for the new line. However, this doesn't appear to be the case.

Here, they say the HD line is discontinued: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/82088-msp-hd-line-to-be-discontinued/

Here, they introduce MSP Bones: https://www.facebook.com/ReaperMini/posts/introducing-msp-bones-hd-paintsreaper-miniatures-inc-is-pleased-to-announce-the-/10153664657493057/

Here, they say what you are saying, where they 'compliment' the existing Reaper and HD paints. http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/65247-msp-bones-hd-paints/&page=2&tab=comments#comment-1253337

This saddens me because I bought the Bones MSP 54 kit as I thought it would be a great starter. Which, it seems to have many colors, but how those colors map to others across the spectrum of other companies is pretty much null and void. I guess I am left to guess and mix my own within the set to get to the desired color scheme I am wanting. Queue le sad... =(

Appreciate the response.

All in all, I am just trying to figure out how to get the paint scheme of this without having to buy a bunch of other colors. http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/85997-painting-scheme-citadel-conversion-with-reaper-msp-bones/

Each miniature paint company mixes their colours to their own specifications. It is likely that they may not even use the same menu of pigments to mix their paints. (Though I suspect a lot of crossover. For one reason and another I'm guessing every company would use titanium white PW6, phthalocyanine blue 15, and one or another of the quinacridone magenta pigments.) 

Even among artist paint companies that list that list the pigments they use for colours on the bottles of each, the same pigment doesn't necessarily mean the exact same colour. Some are pretty close - PB29 Ultramarine Blue tends to be pretty similar across brands. Others can vary widely depending on how the pigment is treated in production. Many of the earth colours that range from dull oranges, browns, reds are mixed from the same pigment, PBr7. There are literally dozens of paints within and between different brands mixed with that same pigment that vary in the actual colour of the paint. And that's talking about paints mixed with one pigment only, which few miniature paints will be. There are some classic colours in artist's paints, but there really isn't a menu of X number of colours that everyone knows and uses that companies try to match.

There is generally no intention to map to a set palette of colours or to match those of other companies for miniature paints. (There can be exceptions. Vallejo Game Color matched pretty closely to the GW paint line up of several years ago I believe.) Sometimes companies are mixing colours that fit their studio paint schemes for various factions, often they're just trying to come up with a suite of colours that covers the majority of basic painting subjects like skin or wood. But you'll very often find gaps in the paint selection of a 50-100 colour range set of paints. I have almost every paint Reaper ever made (literally hundreds), and it's a pretty regular occurrence that I can't find the exact colour I want straight out of the bottle and I have to do a little mixing.

Though it's much easier to find close colours out of the whole vast array of paint than if I'm confining myself to something like the Bones set or an even smaller set of paints. That doesn't mean that you're hosed if you just have a small set of paints. In the art paint world you can mix any colour you want with a set of 8 paints. It takes time, patience, and experimentation, but that is how many artists paint. (You probably can't do the same with 8 miniature paints, since they aren't mixed from single pigments. And even most artists throw in a few more colours to make mixing easier.)

Note that using online swatches to match colours for any paint (or between paints) is pretty much a hopeless endeavour for a whole host of reasons I won't bore you with. At most an online swatch tells you the basic colour family (yellow, red, etc.) and whether a paint is on the darker or lighter side. It won't match to the actual paint colour made by that company, and it even more won't match to other companies' online swatches that don't match their actual paint colours.

For your picture, you should have greens that match pretty closely in the Bones HD paints to do the green plasm or whatever it is on the lamp post. Use yellow or yellow with a little drop of white to highlight the plasm. If you use just white it'll go flatter and look more dull than in that picture. So Naga Green, Cat's Eye Green, Dungeon Slime, and a mix of yellow and white if you want to go brighter than that. 

The wraiths are painted with blue-green colours. There aren't really a lot of those in the Bones HD set, but you should be able to mix something approximate. Experiment with mixing your various mid value (not super dark, not super light) blue and green colours together. By that I mean pick a blue, then mix a drop of it and a drop of one of your greens together, then try a drop of that same blue with another green, then test each of those greens with another blue, until you get a mix you like. You might find that one colour is much weaker than another and you need to mix two or three drops of it in with another colour to get a mix that LOOKS like half and half of each colour. Your aim is to find a fairly simple mix that you can replicate without too many problems - 1 drop of X blue to 2 drops of Y green, say.

Then do the same thing with your darker blues and greens to make a shadow colour that is also a blue-green but darker. You can apply that as a wash or as controlled layers, or however you normally paint.

I think Spectral Glow would work well as a highlight colour, though you may need to add some white to get it as light as some of the areas on your picture. If you find the Spectral Glow too blue or intense in colour, add a little touch of grey to tone it down.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

On 4/24/2019 at 2:47 PM, Xiwo Xerase said:

Some of the HD paints will be rereleased into the Bones line.  The list provided on Facebook on March 1 was:

9467 Crimson Red (formerly 29801)
9468 Brilliant Red (formerly 29802)
9469 Fireball Orange (formerly 29806)
9470 Golden Yellow (formerly 29808)
9471 Bright Turquoise (formerly 29813)
9472 Dragon Blue (formerly 29815)
9473 Gem Purple (formerly 29820)
9474 Caucasian Flesh (formerly 29823)
9475 Maiden Flesh (formerly 29824)
9476 Witchcraft Purple (formerly 29841)
9477 Solid White (formerly 29842)
9478 Solid Black (formerly 29843)
9479 Blue Flame (formerly 29844)
9480 Woodland Brown (formerly 29828)
9481 Suntan Flesh (formerly 29822)

(Credit to @Harrek for posting this.)

This type of information needs to be on the website in the paint section, not on Facebook where it will be instantly lost.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1