Sign in to follow this  
Unit04

Thunderstone Quest by AEG

Thunderstone Quest by AEG is the third in a line of deck builder style games with the Thunderstone name.  I never played the first two, but each iteration got a little more love from the fans.  This version certainly knocks it out of the park and my friend and I played through a good portion of the included "quests" (which were basically recommended card to play with).  The miniatures it comes with aren't strictly necessary, but they do look better then colored pieces of wood.  Because it is a board game, I wanted to give everyone a separate colored base to make them stand out a little more and give them a bit more personality.  

The warrior's color scheme is inspired by Iron Man.  I was able to borrow a metallic red paint (Retro Red Steel) and I like how he turned out for the most part.   

For the wizard, I wanted to use my MSP SAMPLE , which is the pinkish/purplish color of her...cloak (?). 

I gave the dwarven barbarian a white beard because, frankly, nothing is scarier than an old barbarian.  He sorta fell into the brown color because I painted the fairy druid right before him and wanted a darker color.

The fairy druid didn't quite turn out how I'd like, but it still works.  There is a great version of him on Board Game Geek that had an autumn color scheme so I tried to emulate that.  

The explorer was the last figure I did because he wasn't really that interesting.  I do like how his bags and pipes came out.  

I like how the rogue came out the best.  I decided early on that she's have purple hair and a purple color scheme.  One thing that annoyed me about her was the fact that I used several different types of black on her outfit, but it all just looks the same when all is said and done.  Still, I love how she turned out.

311461460_ThunderstoneGroupFront.thumb.jpg.e1fbc9401d83ab9596e53a11eccaf1cd.jpg

1472291671_ThunderstoneGroupBack.thumb.jpg.ea52f09e17137b1c16679600a98ff469.jpg

977301166_TSWarrior.thumb.jpg.f9d4340ca9f6706f58162d2f2fd93f66.jpg

161818966_TSWizard.thumb.jpg.c8da7ce9add81b5ab0fbcf38fe3a41a5.jpg

278652428_TSBarbarian.thumb.jpg.0c21a3468ad0234da1dde65b844032b4.jpg

1735066742_TSRogue1.thumb.jpg.382b542bac3d65b597d53086651edeed.jpg

• Like 21

Nice!

fwiw, If you don't have a copy, wait for it to go on sale, so you can get everything backers did for half the price. You won't get the mini-KS expansion, but you do get the two additional quests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ced1106 said:

Nice!

fwiw, If you don't have a copy, wait for it to go on sale, so you can get everything backers did for half the price. You won't get the mini-KS expansion, but you do get the two additional quests.

Thank you!

Just as an FYI, you get the minis and two quests, but the Kickstarter came with 5 quests (two of which you can get retail as expansions, one was a KS exclusive) and a few promo cards.  Each quest has about 6 heroes, 6 locations, 6 villain groups and 4 each of Items, Weapons and Spells.  I believe all the expansions from the first KS are out now though so you can get those as you need to.  

(The second KS has a solo/co-op expansion that has not been delivered or released yet)

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Unit04
      The rest of my Kickstarter for AEG's Thunderstone Quest came in.  This was for an expansion that changed the player count from 2-4 to 1-6 as well as adding a cooperative mode.  I'm not sure I'd want to play this game at 6 players unless it is cooperative because there is a lot of downtime when its not your turn.  In cooperative mode, it seems that everyone goes at the same time, so that probably reduces down time.  

I didn't realize it at the time, but the expansion ALSO comes with two minis (6 were included in the base game so it wasn't strictly necessary).  I also didn't realize that the monk had a mark on her forehead that I THINK is intentional (these aren't the best minis, as you can see from the crease down her back).  I would have painted her a lighter skin tone so the mark would stand out better if I realized that earlier.  I chose green for her since a nice yellow/orange color was already taken by one of the other minis I painted for this game and I wanted unique player colors.  Likewise, I chose white for the crusader because all the good colors were taken and I could see him as a paladin type.  

Hopefully I don't get any more minis for this game because I'm running out of unique player colors.  

• By ThirstyBob
      Original model, from board game Wander: Cult of Barnacle Bay, by Panda Cult Games.

Customer requested a trident in the hand and a base. Couldn't find a freekkkin trident anywhere except some European company that couldn't get it here until after the deadline, so I had to mod a spear.

Finished Product follows:

C&C or things to do better next time would be much appreciated.

• By Carnacki the Ghost Finder
      Cthulhu Wars: Onslaught Three, featuring a faction called "The Ancients" has just been announced by Petersen Games, set to launch July 17th. 

EDIT: starts at 8 AM CST Monday July 17th.

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ccgames/war-titans-invaders-must-die-1?ref=category_newest&ref=discovery

About
      War Titans is a cooperative game in which 2 to 4 Players face waves of Invaders controlled by the mechanics of the game itself. Every Player acts as the Pilot of a Titan, a powerful combat robot capable of facing the menace of the giant monsters. The aim of the game is to close the Rifts which the monsters are coming from and destroy as many Invaders as possible, trying to avoid flattening out the whole planet in the process!

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1449412950/wild-assent-survive-the-arena-and-tame-the-wilds?ref=discovery

Don't miss the adventure, danger or sweet, sweet miniatures. Click the above "Notify me on launch" button now to be notified the instant the Wild Assent campaign goes live!
      As a special thanks to early backers, if you pledge for Wild Assent within the first 72 hours of the campaign, you'll receive Lady Aylwen and the Unicorn (and all of their cardboard goodies) absolutely FREE!
      Wild Assent is a 1-4 player miniatures board game with player-versus-player and solo/cooperative modes. Battle your opponents in the gladiatorial arenas of the Silvestrem in Wild Assent’s skirmish-style Arena mode. Hunt the dangerous creatures of the Wilds, by yourself or with friends, fighting not just for survival, but to keep your expedition alive in the campaign-based Hunt mode. Regardless of the mode you choose, Wild Assent offers tactical and entertaining combat combined with strategic an interesting decisions to make before the miniatures even hit the board.
      Wild Assent is the complete package. It features incredible miniatures, quality cardboard components and engaging gameplay. Its PvP skirmish and solo/cooperative survival modesoffer vastly different play experiences while sharing the same fundamental combat mechanics.
      The core game box for Wild Assent contains everything you need to begin your expedition into the Wilds or to crush your enemies in the gladiatorial arenas of the Silvestrem. No adventure in either realm will be the same as the last as Wild Assent's customization options and deck mechanics ensure replayability for years to come.
      Wild Assent miniatures are made from a HIPS-based material that retains an amazing amount of detail from the original 3D sculpt. Each miniature is produced as a single piece, allowing for more dynamic poses, intricate bases and absolutely zero assembly. 
      A good number of Wild Assent miniatures have already been produced. Molds have been made and we are able to present them to you as mass production models in the video below.
      Wild Assent minis are made in 32mm scale. For those who want to see what it actually means, here are some of the minis shown on size chart below. While Berlyn as a rather short human barely passes 30mm, some of the bigger creatures are easily getting over 50mm in height.
      Prior to campaign launch we sent some Wild Assent production miniatures to King of Average who created a short unboxing video.

• Who's Online   14 Members, 0 Anonymous, 126 Guests (See full list)