Sign in to follow this  
Guyscanwefocusplease

Do you still need to wash/scrub bones before painting?

It's still best practice to wash pretty much all minis (metal, resin, plastic) before painting. You never know when a mold might have more or less release agent on it. Wouldn't want to mar a fresh paint job just to save time by skipping the easiest step.

• Like 5

I agree, no matter the brand or model, washing the mini first is always the right move. it only takes seconds, and in my experience can only benefit.

Here's another vote to wash your mini's. Better to do it and not need it then to skip the step and have paint adhesion. FWIW, I prime too, just because:) Airbrush with stynylrez I have found to be best.

• Like 1

Yep. Finger grease and mold release agent are enemies of all figure types. Personally I don't think it takes deep scrubbing. I shove most stuff in a bowl of soapy water, give it a swirl and a soak, then rinse. No toothbrush needed. 

• Like 1

I wash every mini regardless of the material.

Oils/residue, you never know.

• Like 2

I think am going to try this ‘bagging method’ with the washing step. 

How much wash fluid would you guys put in a 1 Quart (call it a liter ...ish) Ziploc bag with 3-5 Bones Figures?

1 hour ago, TGP said:

I think am going to try this ‘bagging method’ with the washing step. 

How much wash fluid would you guys put in a 1 Quart (call it a liter ...ish) Ziploc bag with 3-5 Bones Figures?

**shrug** I eyeball the soap in my bucket. Just dishsoap, make a "bloop" and then water makes lots of bubbles. 

Beneath Kally, enjoying her spa treatment, are lots of little ones. 

Image may contain: one or more people and indoor

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

This might be a dumb question, but ...

There’s no problem with assembling multi part Bones minis with super glue, pins, etc first and then washing them in the soap and warm water right? 

That would seem like the order you’d need to do it, but then I started wondering if water and superglue reacted to each other ....

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Marc said:

There’s no problem with assembling multi part Bones minis with super glue, pins, etc first and then washing them in the soap and warm water right? 

That would seem like the order you’d need to do it, but then I started wondering if water and superglue reacted to each other ....

I washed my frost giants THEN glued them. With that said, since we get the mini's sent to us, and some of the pieces are already attached, that would be superglue,right? So, I'd see no reason to do it that way. I should wash my owlbear and see:)

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Marc said:

You would probably be best off washing before assembly, because the CA might stick better to cleaned plastic than to whatever mold release residue might be there. That said, if it's already sticking, water won't cause problems by itself.

CA is not water soluble. In fact, water will cause CA to set almost instantly. (Try dropping just a little CA in a small container of water. It can give you a very nice ice effect.)

• Like 5

one caveat to washing:

If you have a  3D printed model in PLA material, do not wash it or immerse in water. 

the PLA will expand, warp and be forever destroyed by the water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Maledrakh said:

one caveat to washing:

If you have a  3D printed model in PLA material, do not wash it or immerse in water. 

the PLA will expand, warp and be forever destroyed by the water.

Thank you for the tip!