Sign in to follow this  
kristof65

How do you feel about multiple projects being open by the same creator

So I'm backing a KS project by a creator that was supposed to start fulfillment a couple months ago, but they haven't even sent the rules to print.    I've been OK with the delays, as they've been open on communications.  But they recently announced that they're launching another KS project soon, and this irritates me. 

I honestly think that for most companies, it's a terrible idea to launch a new Kickstarter when you aren't even close to delivering on a previous one. 

Wondering how you all feel about that? 

• Like 11

I consider it a dark-orange flag, trending toward bright red. Unless the creator has a long track record of successful fulfillment, my first thought is that the creator might be heading toward "pyramid scheme" -- using the money from the second project to finish the first project.

IME, and I've worked for companies who had that kind of business model (before Kickstarter), that way lies a death spiral.

Sure, you might be one of the people who gets in and back out again without loss, but I don't consider it the way to bet.

• Like 12

Normally I would say NO! to supporting any KS if its creator had not fulfilled another KS, but I have with two companies that I have done this for because of their great track records.  

Midlam Miniatures  does small metal KS and does start new KS before I have gotten my minis from their last.

Dwarven Forge does huge KS and has in the past started a KS because they needed to keep their next manufacturing slot with the factory while it's last KS was shipping to the U.S.  

• Like 8

I've done this once from a company that has successfully delivered several Kickstarters to me before.  The reason for the second active Kickstarter was because it was a different style of product, so it made sense to have its own KS run separate from the first.  

The rule for me would be to avoid it, but with some very special, carefully considered exceptions.  

Edited by Unit04
I needed more letters
  • Like 7

That's a proceed with caution flag for me. For example mantic seems to be doing ok with having two or three projects going at the same time, as are some others. But I still don't want to have pledged for more than one at a time unless one is already in the fulfillment stage. 

But it isn't something I'll even consider if the company hasn't full filled at least as many as they currently have open.

• Like 6

Like mentioned above.

It depends if we're talking about a creator with a history of fullfilling succesful Kisckstarters or a new player without such history.

The former I might back, the latter...no..

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I consider it a dark-orange flag, trending toward bright red. Unless the creator has a long track record of successful fulfillment, my first thought is that the creator might be heading toward "pyramid scheme" -- using the money from the second project to finish the first project.

IME, and I've worked for companies who had that kind of business model (before Kickstarter), that way lies a death spiral.

Sure, you might be one of the people who gets in and back out again without loss, but I don't consider it the way to bet.

That's my thoughts exactly. 

I'm not interested in the next project, so no worries about me backing it. But I also don't want to get my reward from the current one on the backs of people who get suckered in on the next one. 

And I just realized that they one they ran before the one I'm in hasn't delivered yet, either. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, kristof65 said:

And I just realized that they one they ran before the one I'm in hasn't delivered yet, either. 

That would be a hard nope for me, then.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Doug Sundseth said:

That would be a hard nope for me, then.

Yep - I was debating on whether or not I should say something on their thread, but that decided it for me. 

• Like 5

its a bad sign.  if they're the first KS is delayed?   nope. nope nope. 

thats when Drake II imploded. i supposed 50$ was not a terrible loss,  but I wont be doing that again. 

• Like 5

Pretty much what others have said. They need to have a good track record before I give support while other things are backlogged. Caution unless there is proven goodness. 

Bear's Head did have an issue with their sci-fi beholder (I got the bartender, not sci-fi) - but they have a good track record, so I'd probably back them again if they were pre-fulfillment before starting the next. If Scale 75 had something I was interested in while I wait for the Chronicles of Run set, I'd probably be in (did not go in on their paints, which did come after). They do have a record of delivering.

I'm waiting on Black Rose Wars by Ludus Magnus right now, and they did some fulfillment, but I am not going to consider backing their Dungeoneering game until I see my game. First time doing a KS with them on BRW, and I'd like to see how that turns out first. I haven't seen their products yet at all, unlike Bear's Head and S75, so on top of the Not Delivered Yet, I don't even know quality first hand. They aren't necessarily bad, but hey, if they'd waited, I may have gone in on another. 

• Like 7

After the Meyer Optics problems, and other companies doing this...  Nope, I won't willingly do such, even with companies that have a good track record.  It's just too risky in my eyes, especially if they haven't even gone to production on the first one yet. 

Edit: then again, I've only ever committed to a single Kickstarter project (two if you count one that failed to fund), so there's that whole grain of salt thing there.  Most projects I've backed out of either due to finances, or losing interest. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 4

Wouldn’t it be amazing if Kickstarter tracked and rated Creators’ projects based on the status of their existing and previous projects? 

For instance, when a KS fulfills I can currently click a box and say that I received it and that it’s completed. 

It would be amazing is KS had a disclaimer stating that the project creator  had previous open KS projects and what % of individuals and marked their rewards as received. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Adrift said:

Wouldn’t it be amazing if Kickstarter tracked and rated Creators’ projects based on the status of their existing and previous projects? 

For instance, when a KS fulfills I can currently click a box and say that I received it and that it’s completed. 

It would be amazing is KS had a disclaimer stating that the project creator  had previous open KS projects and what % of individuals and marked their rewards as received. 

That would be awesome. 

Of course, KS should also have a built in way to deal with Stretch goals, too.  They won't even do that for their creators, so I doubt us backers will get anything. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The only challenge adrift would be if backers received their reward but decide not to click the box! But I do agree some sort of rating system would be nice!

I only had 1 project I backed where the creator just vanished :wacko:

• Like 7