Sign in to follow this  
Rigel

Speedpainting Bombshell's Gillie as Abbie Sapien

Couldn't resist a Bombshell sale, and I've had my eye on Gillie here for a while. 
DSCN6158.thumb.JPG.1c4faaf834bc073f61f26fcfa8ea3cb9.JPG
Now, I'd already gotten into a Hellboy figure (http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/85925-heckfella-wwwoz-lion-80058-and-rafm-hells-harbinger-raf03897/), so the next part was probably inevitable. This fishy gal is going to be a distaff counterpart to Abe Sapien. (Langdon Everett Colleen?)
Recent posts by @Glitterwolf (loongs and ki-rin) are changing my mind on techniques, so while it is well-established that I love shiny metallic fish-people, I put on some matte layers first. 

DSCN6168.thumb.JPG.c9d243b0dc96c2524c3972db4c2cd694.JPG
DSCN6169.thumb.JPG.18b9bf727029098188788f43ee509524.JPGDSCN6170.thumb.JPG.56bf4d558de8a946a31970beb089f4d0.JPG

And then drybrushing with metallic teals and pale blues. 
Next up: Freehanding some fishy stripes. 

DSCN6171.thumb.JPG.44f97bb8cd2548e4c3a4310d053ac07e.JPGDSCN6172.thumb.JPG.a7c2dc189a1a38d6a4c767e7d50f73b2.JPG

And a bit more dark blue and green wash plus some more metallic drybrushing and detailing, followed by a thin layer of 'Ardcoat. Whole process took under two hours. Room for improvement, but a good start!

DSCN6174.thumb.JPG.d8786723dfd57133f7c15ce7e2f313d5.JPGDSCN6176.thumb.JPG.ec4ce7f199be68449ebee848a51260ac.JPGDSCN6175.thumb.JPG.e4394e19778d845749f03b71c43e048b.JPG

• Like 13

On 4/30/2019 at 7:01 AM, Loim said:

Really excellent. 

On 4/30/2019 at 6:37 AM, Glitterwolf said:

She looks awesome!

It works well on her!

Thanks! I appreciate it. It's a great sculpt and takes paint--especially drybrushing and wash--very well. 

On 4/30/2019 at 7:21 AM, Corsair said:

Several years ago Heroclix did a Hellboy set that had several decent sculpts in it, including Abe.

Nice! I may have to look into that for Johann Kraus purposes...or, if there are some Bad Guys I could use them too. 

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lexomatic
      A request for more modern female minis, Dr Helen Salinger first,  because I found her first.
      I will be painting her as Cosima from Orphan Black.
      Mostly base coats today, though I did a bit more on the coat. Legs are rubbing off so I may need to re prime. Skin was a weird mix of new copper, sun yellow and heavy _(I forget the Vallejo name) skin.

• By Citrine
      Here are a bunch of Wizkids unpainted minis, speed painted in 1 hour or less spent on each, and no fancy basing either.  The latter ones are based on Reaper bases, I think the Wizkids bases are too thin.

Oxen (2) - SKU WZK73099

Crocodile - WZK90051

Heroic Statue - WZK73864

Dopplegangers - WZK90019

Grell & Basilisk - WZK90022

• By BardicDave
      My goal here was to push myself to go as fast as possible. Start to finish it took approx. 2.5 hours, which is definitely a record for me. Contrary to my usual practice, I painted the integral base; when I do get around to doing a proper base, I will likely integrate it into the display. C&C welcome.

• By Rigel
      I don't know precisely how the deal went down, but Bombshell's Neirans from their Counterblast line are pretty much Reaper Andromedans with a bit more height and bulk. (They also have some cycloptic Illyrians much like Sparg and one of the Alien Exotic Dancers.) This is one such, along with various colleagues we have seen before: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/91106-spacefuture-empress-messalina-iv-of-the-andromedans-and-vizier-as-zeta-reticulans/

Her Athame-Glaive demonstrates her ritual authority as General and Commander of the Empress's Fleet. (Before all this pandemic unpleasantness hit my home state, I visited New Mexico for a family vacation, and you BET I picked up some tabletop-scale flying saucers in Roswell.)

With a member of the Technician Caste: 

Making demands of the Chief Scientician: 
      "We need more SPEED, laboratory beetle! 3.2 c is simply not enough to take those witless Earthlings down before they can activate a counteroffensive!"
      "Feh! Cartilage-brained savage, there is only so far you can bend space before it starts bending back! Our wotta-metal hulls can withstand only so much hypergeometric translocation before giving way!"
      "THEN MAKE THEM STRONGER!"

Giving the Grand Vizier a piece of her mind (she's not the best at subtle intrigue, preferring to cut right to the point, or the throat, either way)

"So, scheming remipede, my underlings tell me that the platinum requisitioned for their catalytic cannon has been rerouted to the Citadel of Nobles."
      "A most unfortunate happenstance, War-Leader. Bureaucracy will err; I shall have the Commissariat ritually castigated."

"It was specifically rerouted to a guild of pleasure-barge manufacturers."
      "The less civic-minded among the nobility are known for their excess. Would that there were some way to curb their indulgences; I, your humble servant and that of Empire, have tried time and again to..."
      "The guild is under contract to build YOU a Sybaric Yacht!!"

"One must have some way to relax after the rigors of serving both Her Incomparable Majesty and the people, War-Leader; a very reasonable perquisite. It would be invidious to suggest otherwise. Now, to the point of this interlocution, if there is one?"
      "You always choose your words so carefully, Vizier. I'm so glad you chose 'point' right now."

• By Cicciopiu
      Hello forum Family, Ciccio is back with more awful minis! 
      I'm trying to get the Blood Rage minis painted ATM, and well... no problem with big guys like the troll or the frost giant, but the smaller minis... O  M  G!
      The worst sculpt I had to paint in my life... really CMON?
      Anyway, is a game, I don't pretend the super quality, and do not need to paint every mini perfectly...
      Let's get it started:

the whole party (sorry for the bad pic...):

The Valkyrie:

The Soldier of Hel:

The Volur Witch:

The Dark Elf:

The Dwarf Chieftan:

As you can see nothing special, tabletop standard.
      Not so "Speed painting" cause of the lack of detail/bad sculpt, anyway from 1 hour (fro the Witch) to 4 hours (the Valkyrie).
      Hope you'll like them. 
      C&C welcome as always.
      Thank you!
  • Who's Online   20 Members, 0 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)