Sign in to follow this  
eldamir

Bones IV King Cobra

If I'm going to do a Bones IV figure, why not start with this big fella..

Going to go for a classic Hooded Cobra look on the upper half and stone on the lower ..

Will be using this picture for a reference..

1782025445_HoodedKingCobra.thumb.jpg.1278450006fee91c58e65183cb6869ea.jpg

Since I'm terrible at remembering to take pictures, I've already done:

- Brown Liner all over

- Stone Wash on the lower half

- Stormy Grey dry brush on the lower

- Misty Grey dry brush on the lower

- Sepia Liner on the top

- Griffon Tan on the top

1134403894_2019-04-3011_34_03.thumb.jpg.1845c05e17656dce4a3785f7e454036c.jpg

The stonework looks decent for now,  but haven't tried for pseudo-realism on this scale before (pun definitely intended :D )

• Like 15

I'd put him somewhere between tiny and small ... :B):   Seriously, though .. He's about 5.5" tall

1260445068_2019-04-3014_30_14.thumb.jpg.9429f49ae0321ba13969e7837ac573cb.jpg

I don't seem to have a Sir Forscale to attack him, so one of the triplets in #03335 is standing in ..

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

A nice layer of Candlelight Yellow on the body scales, head and hood, then a light layer of NMM Gold Highlight across the belly scales.  Will do at least one more layer of each I think.. then I'll need to try my hand at the monocle and striping..

2019-05-01 06.40.43.jpg

• Like 10

Getting there .. Did some more layers of NMM Gold Highlight for the belly to help smooth it up  ( leaving the cracks dark is purposeful - although I'm torn as to whether to try to  convey it as battle damage or weathering -- maybe both as he's turning from stone to snake? ) and edged the belly scales with Creamy Ivory 

1665984499_2019-05-0611_59_46.thumb.jpg.c6dcb927de8c4fe1c748606541c9beb8.jpg

Freehand is hard for me - especially at this scale, but I'm not completely unhappy with it so far, although that left lower definitely needs some clean-up - is not as obvious in person..

1800081733_2019-05-0611_59_59.thumb.jpg.1c4f9de211c1f2ba8e825fffdd755f86.jpg

And finally, I hit the eyes with a couple of layers of Ruby Red, slitted in iris and then attempted to do some white highlights on the edge of the eyes, but that didn't work very well, so another layer of Ruby Red was re-introduced.. 

751369945_2019-05-0614_32_57.thumb.jpg.133c7c2453176ccc502f3dd5d8642070.jpg

and I just noticed a mold-line along the bottom of the jaw.. kind of late now!

All that's left, i think other than the aforementioned cleanup of the monacle is smoothing the belly scales a bit more then edging with more Creamy Ivory - maybe try to blend it into the NMM Gold Highlight a bit better than it is.. 

edit:  I also don't really like how the underside of the hood looks right now, so will probably hit that with significantly more Candlelight Yellow to help smooth that up .. 

the closeups for the other shots really show how spotty it seems..

• Like 10