• Optionally enter a message with your report.

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By R2ED
      Here we go with another Nagendra.  Trying new colors each time I do them to try and have some fun with scales.  What I need to do on my next one is some kind of combination with yellow.  Something more challenging to work with to make it fun (or completely ruin it).  

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      * Combo of golds and brown seemed to do alright.
      *  Felt brave enough to use an oil wash this time.  It's frustrating because I'm always afraid it's going to ruin the work I put in, but at the same time, the results could be awesome.  The wash is on the scales, and the shield.  I tried it on the sword, but it didn't lay into the lettering strong enough.
      *  The scales were good after the oil wash but needed a 'pop'. I went back and hit diagonally adjacent scales with a cream color.  Gave it a cool pattern without overwhelming the look.  I did my last one with an organic here or there approach.  This was more pattern driven.  Doing something like a diamond back would be a challenge worth doing.

Misses:
      *  The sword did not come out as I had hoped.  It looks washed out and the runes on it are less than ideal.  Could use some fix ideas for this.
      *  The shield also is missing...something.  I don't know what it is, but there's nothing really cool about it.
      *  Eyes are so small on this model it's hard to do anything fun.  I made them black with yellow slits, but you can't really see them due to the size.  Anyone else struggle with eyes that are too small to really detail?  Or have a solution worth trying?
      *  This one just didn't have the same pop effect I'd hoped for.  I'm not sure what's mising, but it's something.

• By R2ED
      Got another one of these simple townsfolk done.  I find they make a great opening salvo for the weekend before getting rolling.  They are more or less my practice pieces to try a few things before getting going.  Here he is - the farmer and his hoe.

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      *  Keeping the palette very simple:Brown, Orange, Cream, Flesh - worked well.
      *  Washes of Nuln oil on the shirt, pants, hood.  Looks good and helped dull the colors like work clothes.
      *  Used Agrax on the leggings and the shoes and the hoe to give a more dirty apperance.  
      *  I used a mix of buff and white streaks, then washed it with Agrax to give the wood appearance.  Not bad.
      *  Flesh was Rosy Shadow - why I used that color, I have no idea - and I did a fleshwash on it.  Then brought it back up with rosy shadow, then again did it with a little added buff.  

Misses:
      *  I really want to learn how to wood grain.  I can't figure it out or do it well and need some help there.  
      *  I also am not a fan of this guy's skin.  I still don't get how to use the triads really well.  Or which skin tone to use for which kind of character.  It's why I like doing beasts or fantastical creatures because skin isn't really a concern.  Could use direction here if anyone is open.
      *  Didn't want to use metal colors, so I just did a black to white to grey fade on the working end of the hoe.  Meh.
      *  The highlights I went back in on the leggings, hood, and shirt are a bit much.  Almost look washed out.  Not sure what went wrong going back over the same areas with the colors after washing, but oh well.

For basing this guy - open to ideas.  I'm thinking just a simple 1" base and nothing complicated.  I'll do whatever someone suggests first.  

• By R2ED
      This one is a real devil to paint.  
      I got the body down and feel the colors there all make sense for a fire demon.  But the wings...I can't figure out what to do with them.  I was thinking to make them the feature and brighten them up, but the more I look at it the more I think the face and body are the focus.  Needing some help here.

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      * Another round of dry brushing success!  Did a scarlet red, to flat red, to clear orange dry brush triad.  
      *  Used clear orange filter to bring up the areas of highlight and the subtle change looks really good and helps increase contrast.
      *  Horns seem to work pretty good with a oragnge/buff/white mix transitioning up.  
      *  Dry brushing the gold kept it a cooler color rather than a overwhelming "bam" gold look.  I used a yellow+gold mix to highlight the edge of the sword, but in looking at the photo I may need to increase this.
      * Vein on the right bicep has a purple hue I added.  I thought it was cool.

Misses:
      *  I got pretty far along and then realized I have no idea how I want to do the wings.  I need help!  I need direction on the bone sections versus the wing membrane.  
      *  The left calf got a bit too healthy of a helping of orange filter.  
      *  The horns on his head don't seem to fit as well, but it's growing on me slowly.
      *   Tried putting yellow eyes.  Didn't like it.  Then tried doing yellow with purple dots.  Didn't like it.  Then tried yellow with white slits.  Meh.
      *  Used a filter around the eyes with yellow to give a glowing effect, but it was way too overpowering and ended up making him a devil raccoon.  Not the intended effect.  Died it back down with red, but still stands out a little weird.

I've got 2 more in this series and want to give them some consistency.  I was thinking the female devil I would do a purple/red mix.  As always, open to some ideas.  

If you're going to give feedback, I'd love some ideas on a diorama I could do with the three completed devils.

• By R2ED
      Oh man!  What a HUGE jump forward for me.  I NAILED CONTRAST!

BATTLE REPORT!

Taking another one out of the bin from Bones 4 to prepare myself for the unyielding amount of Bones 5 that I'm hoping will be coming soon, I pulled this guy out.  

Looking at the body type, details and such, I had a relatively close idea in my mind of flesh tone vs. gray fur.  This guy came out way better than I expected.

Wins:
      * Starting again with the dry brushing and going with a particular order of operations: Skin, Tail, Fur, Face, Accessories, and Eyes.  It worked spectacularly.  I often find I'm overlapping another area when I'm painting and end up having to fix something.  This dry brush technique allowed for good overlap and less mistakes (or less I could spot).
      *  The Skin color of Burnt Red to Buff to Flat Flesh was a solid combo.  I will use this one again.  
      *  I then did the fur from Neutral Gray up to Sky Gray and even using a little of the white mixed in to lighten it up near the face and crest of the back. 
      *  I learned a new trick thank to Eons of Battle on YouTube about using matte medium to blend in.  HOLY COW!  WORKS LIKE A CHARM!  LOVE this method.
      *  Finding the highlights with the drybrush applied and seeing which spots lightened each time helped me identify even better than if I zenithal primed it.  This is wonderful for me as it's been a major challenge.
      *  Lastly, the metallics.  I've been making the mistake of laying a full on metallic layer down, then trying to darken it with wash or another color, but again it was dry brush to the win.  Use it to make the transition subtle and then go for brightening it up.  The chain area and pieces on his belt really highlight this effect well.  I've been struggling with dry brushing for a long time, but for some reason all the sudden it just clicked!

Misses:
      *  The color on his nails isn't my favorite.  I was going for a "I've been in the sewer for a while" look, but I'm not sure that brown/orange works?
      *  Eyes could have been something more.  I just went with black and white dot for gleam, but again, maybe something more yellow and menacing.  They are insanely small and wouldn't have been easy anyway.  
      *  The fur color needs something else.  I was thinking to dirty it up (kind of like how I did the rear-end area), but then again I felt if I did it may have taken away from the work rather than added to it.
      *  The highlights and contrast are still a new thing for me and in a few spots these are SUPER bold.  I took my time with them, really went slowly and placed them well, but there's still some spots I couldn't gone lighter in.  
      *  I may have lost my concentration for a second and overdid the drybrush on the chain at his hip.  Now he's got sparkly fur in a spot, but I went back to hide it.  I'm hoping it stays hidden.  I would hate for the other warerats to go, "Bob, you uh putting on glitter again?"  
      *  lastly - the mouth.  I am using this brown/purple/pink combo that I like, but the recesses are really, really dark.  I may need to find a lighter color I can bring that tone up with a bit.  

All in all, this is another really big win for me.  Adjusting to a new means of painting, starting with drybrushing and not leaning on washes is a really big deal.  I had been looking for a pick-me-up in my painting and the Griffon I did last week really launched me in this direction.  Hooray!

• By EvilJames
      Was picking through my unpainted bones when I found a sprue of hands holding various items. Unfortunately I cant for the life of me figure out what they go to. It's a sprue of both left and right hands, holding swords, shields,  loot and daggers. Anyone remember what it's for? It looks like bones 4 plastic grey.
  • Who's Online   15 Members, 2 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)