• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Welcome!

Good start!

If you want more depth, use a little wash on them.

They do look good for a game!

Thanks for the advice!

We hit them with a wash of pretty heavily diluted carbon grey and/or ebony flesh paints depending on the figure and section, but my technique (and my ability to place trust in the wash process) needs some work.
I'm also considering ordering a few citadel washes as nuln oil, agrax, and fleshshade keep popping up as heavily recommended.   

• Like 4
1 hour ago, ChumBucket said:

Thanks for the advice!

We hit them with a wash of pretty heavily diluted carbon grey and/or ebony flesh paints depending on the figure and section, but my technique (and my ability to place trust in the wash process) needs some work.
I'm also considering ordering a few citadel washes as nuln oil, agrax, and fleshshade keep popping up as heavily recommended.   

As a beginner painter, you can get a lot of good use out of a bottle of the Agrax Earthshade and a bottle of Nuln Oil.  For a nice quick tabletop paint job I usually do a painted base coat, then Agrax Earthshade or Nuln Oil wash, and then some quick highlighting. I use the Agrax Earshade for warmer colored minis (Primarily browns, red, yellows, etc), and the Nuln Oil for cooler colored minis (Primarily blues, greens, greys, etc).   Fleshshade is a nice addition for skin, but not necessary to start if funds are limited.

You might also want to check out my Bones painting blog if you get a chance.  Lots of step by step painting articles that some beginners have found helpful: http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 2
On 4/30/2019 at 5:47 PM, Chris Palmer said:

As a beginner painter, you can get a lot of good use out of a bottle of the Agrax Earthshade and a bottle of Nuln Oil.  For a nice quick tabletop paint job I usually do a painted base coat, then Agrax Earthshade or Nuln Oil wash, and then some quick highlighting. I use the Agrax Earshade for warmer colored minis (Primarily browns, red, yellows, etc), and the Nuln Oil for cooler colored minis (Primarily blues, greens, greys, etc).   Fleshshade is a nice addition for skin, but not necessary to start if funds are limited.

You might also want to check out my Bones painting blog if you get a chance.  Lots of step by step painting articles that some beginners have found helpful: http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com

I’ve got some discretionary funds and a core set (less some ghouls and goblins), darkreach, and fan favorites to paint so I think I’ll pick up all 3.

thanks for linking the blog, looks like a lot of well-painted minis and process walk through to glean inspiration from.

• Like 2

Great job, painting for tabletop is where it’s at. It’s kept me painting even as my tabletop time has dropped to zero. Dr. Faust on YouTube has some good stuff, as well as others. Just learn blending, edge highlighting, drybrushing and then practice yourself to sleep :)

Welcome aboard!

Daniel

• Like 1