TGP

Getting To Know You — May 2019

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question for:

May 14th ~ What dumb things have you done lately in the kitchen ?

So far, nothing that tops the Garlic Butter Disaster of 2013. (the lid was not on the container. I was finding random bits of garlic butter in that kitchen for months afterwards...).

Or the Chili Pepper Debacle of 2018. (Eh, might as well throw all of these mystery chilis into the pot, should be fine... it was not fine) 

Mr. Thorne has not lit the stove on fire recently... 

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I suggested my wife clean it...  

• Like 4
  • Haha 12

6 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Showing that I can cook better than the rest of the family.

Guess who has cooking duty most of the time now? :poke:

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

6 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

This question was inspired by my own self. So recently, I bought milk at the dairy store: 2 jugs for $5 bucks! (These were 1 gallon jugs.)  They were sold to me cold but, ...long boring story later,... finally they arrived at my kitchen but were not very cold at all. 

So... I had the genius (?) idea to throw one in the freezer, one in the fridge. Thinking that I would return to the kitchen a few minutes later, the freezer gallon would be chilled down rapidly, I could have  a cup of cold milk.

20 hours later: I discover that a 1 gallon jug of milk will freeze into a solid object.

:blush:

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

6 minutes ago, TGP said:

This question was inspired by my own self. So recently, I bought milk at the dairy store: 2 jugs for $5 bucks! (These were 1 gallon jugs.)  They were sold to me cold but, ...long boring story later,... finally they arrived at my kitchen but were not very cold at all. 

So... I had the genius (?) idea to throw one in the freezer, one in the fridge. Thinking that I would return to the kitchen a few minutes later, the freezer gallon would be chilled down rapidly, I could have  a cup of cold milk.

20 hours later: I discover that a 1 gallon jug of milk will freeze into a solid object.

:blush:

]

So you had a very large popsicle?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Not necessarily lately, but so many dumb things...

Getting the jar of quinoa mixed up with the jar of steel cut oats and making chicken, roasted vegetables and Italian seasoned oatmeal was good for a laugh. 

The homemade cider incident required a step stool and a paint scraper.

Installing the faucet backwards was, I am told, dumb (it works and no one else had to crawl under the sink so in my opinion its perfect).

Rubbing an eye while cutting peppers is an unfortunately common dumb thing. 

Seriously, the list just goes on and on.

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

The Kitchen is Cap'n John's Domain; I don't do anything there other than make my coffee. Ergo, I haven't done anything dumb or smart, fort that matter, for more than nine years.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Since I haven't done anything recently that would qualify as silly/dumb/stupid in the kitchen... 

Dumbest thing I did was years ago... Waant paying full attention after frying some perogies and moved in a way to cause the still molten butter to slosh over the edge...  Onto my right hip, riiiiiight where the skin moves the most.  Yeaaaah, two large first degree burn patches, and one large patch of second degree burns.  Shortly after I went to work.  That was.. An experience... I'd rather not repeat. 

I've also done things like "is this burner still hot?" *touches burner that was on for half an hour, and was only turned off like five mins ago*

• Like 6

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Too much cayenne pepper... 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Too much cayenne pepper... 

A simple trick if you added too much salt or spicy herbs....add sugar till the taste is right.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

A simple trick if you added too much salt or spicy herbs....add sugar till the taste is right.

Does that work for hot as well?

• Like 5

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I sort of tried to clean a cast iron skillet while it was still hot...

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Nothing recent comes to mind, but it probably involved either a knife or a 400* oven.  I have several visible scars. 

• Like 6