TGP

Getting To Know You — May 2019

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

May 14th ~ What dumb things have you done lately in the kitchen ?

We have a 1 1/2 butt kitchen, and I bumped into my wife while she was trying to move some thankfully cold soup from the fridge. That took a bit to clean up!

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I don't really. Even when I'm trying something risky, it seems to end up great. It's to the point where the fiancee gets excited when I try to warn her I'm doing something new that could end up a mess. 

I guess there is something to the idea that understanding the process and ingredients combined with sheer repetition yields skill. :D 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Closest thing recently. Wife ordered some food from a delivery service. The meals are are set up with the ingredients measured (theoretically) ready to use. Oldest was helping and when he got to the chili asked me what to do. I said, "throw it in because they only give the amount necessary." Not exactly in this case. They gave the maximum amount if wanted. I've ate spicier and it cleaned my sinuses while eating. Me and the oldest were ok because we can handle it. The others were complaining and he got yelled at for being too stupid to read the instructions. I apologized to him and told him he has found his purpose in life, deflecting the blame from me. Technically I never touched the spices but he was only following my instructions.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Let people know that I can cook. The demands! They never end!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

Too much cayenne pepper... 

There is no such thing. :devil:

Edited by VitM
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Nothing lately, though I do have a tub of Simple Green sitting there for stripping minis. I have yet to mistake it for dipping sauce.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:
13 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I sort of tried to clean a cast iron skillet while it was still hot...

In my experience, best time to wipe it down is while everything in it is still hot. 

Just.. don't handle it with your bare hands, or stick it in water;  just wipe it down good. :p

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

In my experience, best time to wipe it down is while everything in it is still hot. 

Just.. don't handle it with your bare hands, or stick it in water;  just wipe it down good. :p

Yeah - but probably not while wearing a long sleeved robe and while it is still on the element (I burnt part of my robe :( )

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

13 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I made a sandwich for my packed lunch, complete with roast beef, cheddar, and mayo, and then found out the bread I pulled out was moldy, as was most of the remainder of the loaf.  At least I noticed before I actually packed it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

FYI for cast iron, which I love and have cooked with my entire life (as did my parents and grandparents etc through time): chainmail cleans it the best of everything I've tried, and short of having an armorer handy, there is a great product called The Ringer on amazon. I've had mine a couple years now and it's as good as new. It's the most effective cleaner and also the least abrasive to the pan's seasoning.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

While making green bean pickles, I took the prepped mason jar out of the fridge and poured the boiling pickling liquid into it without considering the temperature difference.

Jar cracked. Minor inconvenience to transfer beans and liquid to a different container. Need to restock mason jars to continue projects. Grean beans are pickled and tasty. Project lands in success column.

• Like 11

14 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Forgotten leftovers is my classic go to.

Got leftovers, trash day is already gone, don't want to throw it out where it will smell for a week. Leave it in the fridge. Forget about it for a week. Repeat until new life springs forth... and forget about it for another week. :zombie::;,;:

Aside from that, leaving the cover off my Vitamix blender and forgetting how splatterfuly powerful it is at even medium speed. I never knew frozen berries could stain so much.

• Haha 8

16 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Lately nothing has gone wrong in the kitchen.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

It depends on what you mean by 'lately'....

Nothing in recent memory, though. I tend to try to be careful when I'm in a room with lots of knives and a way to set myself and/or the house on fire.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I'm an awful cook and it would probably be easier to list the times things went well in the kitchen. I'm fine at prepping food, but as soon as it's time to apply heat and combine stuff things always go awry. I've given myself food poisoning twice in the last year and that takes real talent when you don't eat meat :unsure:

Luckily I now live with an amazing cook/baker, so my kitchen duties are usually limited to prepping and cleaning up afterwards. 

• Like 5